Carry in church that has a school (North Carolina)

Someone told me recently that a new law was passed and signed by the governor to allow concealed carry in a church that has a school. Specifically that one could carry when the school is not in session. I know the governor vetoed a similar bill earlier this summer. Does anyone have any updated information on this topic?

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @George90. Please refer to the USCCA Link to North Carolina.

According to that link There is no State statute prohibiting concealed carry in places of worship. However, since places of worship are private property, they may post signs prohibiting firearms.

Stay safe out there.

2 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @George90 and you are blessed to be here.

@George90 Welcome to the community. :us: :us: :us:

1 Like

@George90 Welcome to the community. We are glad to have you!

1 Like

It’s so sad to even think about carrying in church. Unfortunately, the crazies target churches, and ours is quite large. Several incidents at churches over the last few years.

I grieve…and stay prepared.

2 Likes

What a great question. It would seem that the school zone would be what is in question. Lots of churches and places of worship are organizing security teams for services. Having a school attached to the church would change the ability to carry in that “gun free zone”. The wording of such a bill that would allow one to carry in said zone would be scrutinized and could be the reason your Governor vetoed the first attempt. For example the word “any” could mean all or it could be interpreted as one of many options. Any citizen can carry in church during service during times when school is not in session. This could mean all citizens or it could mean any citizen that the churches designated. Little things like this hold up bills all the time.

2 Likes

What if the school isnt open just like Sunday. Reason asking is about Catholic Schools. In Illinois not sure what would be LEGAL.

1 Like

Gary,

A quick review of the USCCA guide of laws in Illinois can answer your question.

Stay safe.

1 Like