Concealed carry in church/school

I live in Pennsylvania. I attend a church that rents space in a school building. I made the error 6 months of telling a deacon of the church that I carry concealed. I was approached by an elder 2 days ago in church and told that because the church is in a school it is illegal to have/carry a weapon in the building as well as the parking lot. Can I carry in this building when it is not be used for school? also we have children’s Sunday school as well as a nursery. Thanx. BF

6 Likes

as you know we carry concealed so no one knows we are carrying so it was a bad idea to tell on yourself. I think that a school is always a school even when not in session. the only time i think this would change is if it was sold like to your church.

6 Likes

This is a personal observation, and not a legal opinion: The federal law making firearms illegal in K-12 schools does not appear to have any language about “at time of use.” Rather, it simply refers to school property. Thus, I suspect your deacon is correct. Best advice is to consult a Pennsylvania attorney who specializes in firearms laws. I know congregations all over the country rent public school facilities for Sunday services until they can acquire their own property, so this is a widespread concern in every state.

12 Likes

Thanx Randy. I have ‘kicked myself’ over that decision frequently over the past 2 days. I’m trying to reframe my disappointment by telling myself at least I’m being lawful by disarming but I certainly don’t feel comfortable about it as I have carried concealed in church (a different one) for 20 years,

4 Likes

When I first joined this church I’m currently a member of, I didn’t tell anyone because I wasn’t sure if i would stick around.
Two years later, I still haven’t told anyone.

I recently attended a concert held at a $50M building inside a college campus.
I left my guns and ammo at home. Erred on the side of caution.

7 Likes

I would have to agree with you Craig about there being no wiggle room for school property. I will be trying to contact a lawyer however just to satisfy my own curiosity. I have to get over that after 20 plus years carrying in my previous church i now have to disarm. Thanx for ur input.

6 Likes

Maybe time to find a new church?

5 Likes

Sounds like you are on the right track contacting a lawyer, my non-lawyer understanding is as above…it doesn’t matter what is or is not happening at the time, school proper is school property under the no gun laws I have seen, both federal and state

5 Likes

Could be a dealbreaker if, in addition to the CCW issue, the church has other red flags :triangular_flag_on_post: like leaning towards wokeness.

3 Likes

The thought entered my mind.

5 Likes

The first rule about carrying concealed? Don’t tell anyone you’re carrying concealed.

7 Likes

i feel that if my rights and gun is not welcome i don’t want to be there.

5 Likes

That was my motto for over 20 years carrying but we had started talking about a recent church shooting and she expressed some fear. That’s when I dropped my guard and gave it up. I do regret that now. However, like some other gun brothers on the thread I’m willing to get legal at this time. I’ll miss my G26 on Sunday mornings.

4 Likes

I hear ya Randy, loud and clear, but a solid (and at this time unwoke) Christian community is not always easy to find and there are some folk here I’m really connected with. So after a couple days of blustering about “nobody’s gonna tell me what to do” I realize my faith takes priority. But trust me it wasn’t easy coming to that decision.

3 Likes

I don’t know the laws in PA, however in IN. I can lock my gun in my vehicle on school grounds, being a licensed carrier. I hate that idea, but a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do. Can you take pepper spray , a taser, or a pocket knife into the building? At least you’re not defenseless then. It sucs but gun free zones are an invitation for the evil minded. Maybe as others have stated that it’s time for a new church. You can always build relationships and connections to people in a new church. your faith will remain intact no matter what church you attend. Whatever you decide, remember one thing, NOBODY needs to know that you have a sidearm on you, ever. Personally my sidearm is for my family and my protection only. If that protection is needed in a gun free (criminal protection) zone than I’ll deal with the fallout from there. I’d rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Well concealed means well concealed, unless there are metal detectors, who is to know if you’re strapped or not.

When I first started carrying, my concern was does God think that I don’t trust him to protect me and my family?

God bless, and I hope you make the right decision for you and yours, whatever that decision is.

4 Likes

I attend Services at Chabad at Arizona State University. And I go on holidays. And they do have a security officer there when they have holiday services. I told the security person that I carry. And on the first day of the holiday he walk in with me and to the Rabbi to tell him that I was armed. And the Rabbi told him that he knew I was armed and that it was fine. The Rabbi knows that I’m always have a gun on me. And he has no issues with it. And some times he has even come up to ma and asked if I was armed. And I’d tell him yes but not where I has my gun. And this Chabad is not on the campus either.

2 Likes

thanx for the thoughts brother.

1 Like

The Federal law prohibiting guns on K-12 school property and within 1000 feet of that property has a provision for those who have a state-issued license and state law allows for them to be near the school. It appears you fall under that provision.

3 Likes

The Federal law on school carry applies for K-12 schools. Laws and regulations for carry on college and university grounds are up to the individual states, and often distinguish between public and private schools.

2 Likes

We are surrounded by schools. I couldn’t go anywhere without that provision.

3 Likes