Concealed Carry in Church

How many here belong to congregations that allow concealed carry during worship services? How many have church security plans, that includes armed congregants? There is a perception that such things, church security plans involving armed defense. It is ok and morally correct to defend yourself out of church, but once in church such things are bad and you just be protected by faith. I’m interested in hearing about other congregations and churches stances on the subject.

4 Likes

We have armed security at our church. I use the argument that my salvation follows me out the door, so my right to defend myself and others follows me in the door.

4 Likes

I lead our security team at my church and the majority on the team are armed. We also hire an off duty police officer to be there during services for visibility and so we have someone who can make an arrest if necessary to dissipate a situation or actually arrest if necessary. Our armed team has to meet training requirements greater than a CCL requires and more in line with police procedures and are required to qualify annually.

6 Likes

Yes we allow and it’s part of our safety plan. Like the water sprinklers and fire extinguisher and the basement in case of severe weather.

Reminds me of a story………

A flood was coming to a small town and the town was ordered to evacuate…a “church lady” refused stating that God would protect and save her.

The water came in and flooded the woman’s yard and the fire department came by and offered to evacuate her out of the area but the woman refused saying that God would protect and save her.

The water continued to rise and began to flood the woman’s living room. A sheriff’s dept boat came by and pleaded with the woman for her to leave with them but the woman refused stating that she had faith and that God would protect and save her.

The water continued to rise forcing the woman on her roof and a National Guard helicopter came by and the lowered the basket for the woman and shouted for her to get in but still she refused saying that God would protect and save her.

The water continued to rise and the woman drowned. The woman went to Heaven and God was there to welcome her in. As they began walking to her new eternal home she asked the Lord, Lord I’m confused, I believe in you and had faith that you would protect and save me…why didn’t you? The Lord responded to the woman…well…I sent you the Fire Dept, the Sheriffs Dep and even the National Guard for you…why didn’t you get in?

8 Likes

We are fortunate that our team leader is qualified to certify us as commissioned security guards thru the state

2 Likes

Mind if I ask what sect or religious affiliation allows armed security teams or for congregants to carry inside the sanctuary or chapel area? It may help my cause. Thanks.

3 Likes

Mine is Pentecostal

I’d be curious what denominations would take issue based on beliefs.

3 Likes

Michigan law allows concealed carry in ANY church where the pastor or official board OKs it. My CRC simply acknowledges that we have one policeman and a couple of other members that carry.

5 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Cal! It’s is good they are doing something and recognize there is a potential threat.

3 Likes

Who needs to know I carry at church???

4 Likes

I’m in Pennsylvania and I can’t carry in my Catholic Church as the church also has an elementary school across the parking lot. Although no one has been able to answer if I actually am allowed to carry on Sunday as no school is in session.

3 Likes

@ThatSoccerDude

Nice thing about Oregon, with a CHL. You can carry concealed in public schools… Gun free school zones do not apply to CHL holders…

6 Likes

Well here we go again…Isn’t that an old song? Chicago Archdioceses Cardinal Cupich and his personal policy is no guns zero tolerance however I have yet to see any enforcement. I don’t attend each Sunday but I don’t think it’s enforced. I always follow the Cardinals directives.:wink:

2 Likes

We have a security team in my church and anyone can carry a weapon as long as it is concealed so as to not upset some people.

4 Likes

Mine is non-denominational, just a Christian church.

3 Likes

Not a member of any church but am visiting one that is Southern Baptist affiliated. This church just recently changed leadership, so I asked the pastor what the church policy on concealed was going to be. He didn’t know the policy and also said he wouldn’t know if someone was carrying or not and he couldn’t ask?? (so it doesn’t seem to be high on the list of their concerns) Only speaking of this particular church, not the denomination. Problem is, in Ohio a church is a no carry zone without a sticker saying it is OK or you have permission. There is no sticker, and I don’t know what legally constitutes valid “permission”. Stated as OK in their church by-laws? an OK in writing from the church administration or pastor? Something I will have to look into if I continue to attend.
However, if faith separates us from reality and totally protects us from any issue that might cause us harm, why do we buckle seatbelts, buy home or car insurance, take medicine, exercise for health (some people anyway :blush:) drive sober, etc. etc. etc. And those people that have been attacked in churches – just a lack of faith on their part ?? I carry in church conscience free because I am there with the intent to love and forgive others and treat them like I want to be treated. There is no desire to harm, but life is real. Faith involves a whole lot more than just physical well-being. IMHO Carry On

4 Likes

Utah does as well, allow permit holders to carry in schools and university campuses. There has been legal concealed carry at the University of Utah for more than 20 years without incident

1 Like

Yes Sir, at my church in Northern Florida, I submitted requests, made suggestions, gave 3 different companies, and requested for arm police officer to join all of us at our church. I have purchase many DVDs, Books, and talk over very much over the very important educational resources that USCCA have. I have trained in many areas and gave that very same educational information to the church; Free to them. I paid that cost, I am not bragging, I am tired of innocent people dying with the lack of security and protection.

Fundamentals of safety and usage of a firearm, Situational Awareness, Color Codes, Universal Safety Codes, and hand written plans if a situation ever happened, and etc. I talk and give educational information to that Senior Pastor and his associate Pastors.

I am a greeter at the front doors which I greet many people, I drive transportation, and all pastors know that I carry a very loaded firearm every day, up to 18 hours a day. Not in sleep or rest room breaks, but the firearms are very close to access at all times. Some of the staff have responded in a worried and in concern over these things.

I have first access to identify trouble, but I have help from other greeters, deacons, and
educators and the Senor Pastor. Remember this, Churches have many gray areas about
carrying a loaded weapon on property and many things affect this profession and that firearms are to be kept under silence and not questioned. I have been honest to the staff and I love training, but must stay alert at all times. I am also a photographer for the church and there is a team of people too. I am not alone.

There are many churches that refuse to train or even think of any usage of a firearm of any type and you can be denied to carry at any time and you have to do what is necessary to do your job. My pastors are my friends and I stay in communications with them.

4 Likes

In Arkansas it’s up to each church to make it’s own policy. We have team members in uniform open carrying at the doors and members in the sanctuary concealed carrying in regular clothes. However only security team members are allowed to carry on the property. You can leave it in your car.

2 Likes

Are security team members simply permit holders or are they LE and/or certified security staff?

1 Like