Concealed Carry in Church

I love that one, @JamesR! I’ve used it a number of times to help explain things to people who don’t carry - and to my kids. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m lucky - when I first started at the church I go to I spoke with one of the pastors after service. I said I have a weird work schedule and cannot always attend regularly. He asked me what I did. I hesitated for a moment before telling him I work at the USCCA and at a range. My hours are weird, but I try to attend as much as possible. He put his hand on his 4 o’clock and said you’re very welcome here. He pointed out the church security leaders who were / are LEOS and he said I was more than welcome to carry.

I’ve gone to that church for over three years now. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Our church has a Safety Team. Some members are/were LEOs, others are/were not. I am not yet a member of the team, but working toward it.

I know a few others who concealed carry at church. I have met a few based on where I choose to sit on Sunday mornings. It’s a location that allows us to keep our eyes open on exits and most of the congregation without being obvious about it.

6 Likes

We are commissioned security guards. Most of us have a CCW as well.

3 Likes

I carry my gun all of the time. And even when I go to services. And I to several place depending on if they have services or not. One place is Chabad at ASU. And the Rabbi’s know that I carry. and once one of them even asked if I had my gun with me. And I told him I did. No problem. Another place is Chabad of the East Valley. And the Rabbi there asked me about firearm classes. And said that he wanted to have some for the Congregation that wanted to take them. I told him that I was an Affiliate Firearms Instructor with USCCA. And he asked me to put an add in their calendar. and a 1/4 page add was $250.00. Which I don’t have. And when I go to these places there has been no issues at all with me having my gun. and it is concealed and not visible to anyone

4 Likes

Faith will not save you from physical attacks. Only God can, if He so wishes. Read up on the apostle Paul’s sufferings in the Book of Acts. If anyone had faith, he did, but boy did he suffer at the hands of evil men. When the apostles were dispatched to preach the second time, Jesus told them to take a sword, and take a back up. He wouldn’t have said that if all they had to do was “just believe.”

1 Like

I am an advocate for having the tools for self-defense and congregation-defense, in and out of church. I also concede and am aligned with those who believe the Constitution is Divinely inspired and that self-defense is outlined and upheld by Holy Writ. However, I do acknowledge that there are numerous instances (albeit not all) where the faithful were protected, pistols misfired, bullets lost their energy before reaching their target, victims and targets were obscured, attackers lost heart, and the list goes on. All I’m saying here is, while I support appropriate measures to protect the faithful, I will not discount their faith or the miracles that can and do happen. I just won’t plan on them. Hope is not a strategy, and man proposes while God disposes. GBYRG.

4 Likes

I visited a church here in North Idaho this past Sunday, and was told they preferred that all congregants carried. I’ve carried openly in every church I’ve attended since moving here 4 years ago. God, thank you for Idaho!

5 Likes

I do the same- my left eye is on the entrance, my right is on the pulpit. I go to a small church where several of us carry. Our church went as far as putting a protective film on the windows, electronic door locks, and a closed circuit camera system which is monitored. The only thing missing is kevlar in the pulpit.

3 Likes

I’m an elder at a smaller baptist-style church of about 100, and we have no active duty police officers as members. I became a 1st time gun owner with a concealed carry license in May 2018, and I started carrying in church. The Sutherland church shooting in Texas the previous November was the last straw for me. I’ve been vocal about my stance on the 2nd amendment, so the other members and fellow elders are aware of my carrying. I’ve only heard of positive responses akin to “I’m glad to hear it.” or “It makes me feel safer.” Since becoming vocal I’ve had three friends (one fellow elder, a member at church, and a friend who attends a larger church) reach out to me and eventually become gun owners themselves with one also receiving her concealed carry permit. There are 3-4 more who have expressed interest. Part of my duty is the oversight of the building, so I’m usually standing in the lobby to be ready to address building-related issues and keeping an eye on our security cameras via phone/tablet app. It’s also a good place for me to keep an eye on everyone entering the two doors accessible for entry. I’d like to have a safety team, but it takes certain people to take it seriously. Hopefully soon. Anyway, I have no problem with churches having armed members, since I do believe criminals look for easy targets.

8 Likes

that’s a pretty awesome thing you’ve got going there! :heart_eyes:

@Jose, you might find some additional information here as well.

5 Likes

Jose, there is a group called Sheepdog Ministries that has developed an entire program for starting a church safety/security team. Very good system.

3 Likes

I carry in my church but there things I must do before I can I have to qualfy the same as the police qualacation every year

2 Likes

My church has a armed, and trained, “safety team” . We have to have a CCW, we require a firearms training beyond the CCW, and have to qualify with our weapons. We also all take first aid and CPR. We have monthly training on everything from the law, shoot- dont shoot, verbal de-escalation techniques and next month will cross train with local LE in our facility.

4 Likes

Thank you for the time commitment to keep your fellow members safe. I suspect you do it willing and with grace. Good job!

2 Likes

In Texas we can carry concealed in a Church unless there is a posted sign that doesn’t permit it, or, if a school is part of the church. We don’t have either. I’ve never asked anyone…I carry concealed in Church. I don’t know if others do, but it’s rural area, so I suspect others do to.

3 Likes

Hi Stephen, welcome to the forum.
Same here on my carry in church.
I am part of the armed response team at our church.
Yep, it’s rural.

2 Likes

Thank you. We are doing our best

2 Likes

in pa you can legally carry in a school the law states that you may only have a weapon on the grounds for use in school functions (what that would be I don’t know) or other lawful purpose. a concealed carry permit for protection meets these requirements. As per a homeland security seminar we had at our church.

1 Like

Normally I follow the rules and laws that we all have learned and lived each day. I hide my firearm at all times in the great art of concealing. When I am in a mixed group of family, friends, and any place where teenagers or children are I stay clear of them or lock up in a safe location in a lock box or trunk of car. If I am working with children it not wise to carry a firearm with or without approval from parents or leaders. The Laws are a must to follow at all times and people that I know and work with know for a fact that I carry. I am not the only one, total of 38 other people have firearms, I am # 39. I guess, who counting ?

I feel the most singled out person in this neighborhood, since I am single and I carry daily. I love these people at USSCA and the Community where you can help others, learn, or relax some. The knowledge of my carrying a firearm or any training, does not bother me or cause me to worry to much and stay trained, stay legal, stay out of areas that object to having a firearm, learn when, wear and how to lock things up safely in your car and at home or at a family members house. I really would not tell them unless necessary.

I work with church people and I am active. The Concealing and Carrying a firearm in or at church is in a GREY AREA of the Laws and you must read your state laws and it would be wise to talk with your Pastors, teachers, and anyone that has leadership in that church. Take classes in safety and situational awareness and learn that you can be apart to save peoples lives by communication to others. Safety and security has other department and you may have police officers on staff, please talk to them.

1 Like