Best way to carry when wearing shorts

Usually I carry a revolver in my pocket when carrying in shorts if I’m in town. If I’m not in town, then I carry a hip holster with a untucked shirt. I wear belts with my shorts. I imagine my set up won’t work with athletic shorts.

1 Like

Been wearing a Fanny Pack for yrs now. Have to stand-up a holster in it(use foam pads to make it stay in place - up-right). S&W M&P9C 12+1, + 2 full 17rd mags on off side, 47 rds available- summer, winter, anytime.
Can wear it with anything, anytime- gym/running shorts - works fine.
Under heavy winter jacket - works fine - just move concealment aside.
But you need to set it up right, and practice some with it.

1 Like

I usually wear cargo shorts and carry a Springfield 911 380 with no imprint issues.

2 Likes

I am a man of girth and thought uncomfortable belts were just a part of life, my belts tended to cut off my circulation, I recently got a “gun” belt with a metal core, unbelievable the difference between the cheap belts I used to wear and the new belt, able to wear it tighter and it holds my IWB comfortably as well, this should be just fine with shorts too.

2 Likes

I don’t often wear shorts, mostly being a fit and comfort issue. Being a self taught tailor, I am currently working on a pattern for shorts\ trousers which will feature a cargo pocket with a built in holster at just the right height for a ‘relaxed arm draw’. About like one of those tactical thigh holsters.

If anyone is interested I’ll keep you posted on the progress.

Regards.

3 Likes

The importance of a quality belt can’t be overstated. Like most people I wasted a lot of money trying various types and finally came across these.

Incredibly comfortable, distributes weight exactly as it should, and will not roll.

Not having a metal core also allows it to move with you and self adjust to give you a proper fit no matter how “eccentric” your build is.

5 Likes

I’d be interested, the ones I have come across are ridiculously priced. Just adding a strap inside the pocket doesn’t justify an $85+ price tag.

1 Like

Yeah. Totally would be interested in what you do with that. I used to make all my own clothes, when I had more time, and I’d consider doing that for carry pants.

1 Like

I keep trying to design an easy access holster for a small back pocket gun probably in .380 that would look for all the world like a wallet and still be comfortable. It would also need to secure in place to be relatively pick pocket proof. Haven’t gotten there yet.

1 Like

Belt with cargo shorts is how I carry. I’ve had no problems and currently trying to do the same with “fishing” pants.

1 Like

This is off topic a little, but I tried something a little different today. While shopping with my wife at a local outlet today I was wearing shorts and carrying my Glock 19 AIW. When I went to the restroom I tried something a little different. When I sat down on the toilet I was carefull to control my pistol by holding onto the loose end of the belt. When seated I then attached the belt together using the longest hole. With a little outside pressure with my knees, everything stayed right inplace on my legs.

Also, did not have any problems concealing the firearm while out shopping and then to a restaurant.

2 Likes

Usually wear cargo shorts, Crossbreed belt than either my Glock 23 in a Crossbreed Super Tuck IWb or a Vedder picket Locker if my Sig P365 depending on what I carry that day. Just recently got. Vedder Light Tuck IWB which mean I ca now carry either the Glock or Sig in the same location all the time which is really my preference anyhow.

I have a pouch that has a belt with velcro -it’s sewed in the middle. Your firearm fits in one side and extra ammo in the other…it works perfectly with shorts, sweatpants and even with pants that are a little too loose in the waist…as long as as you wear a Tshirt or your shirt tail out- I wear it with all my summer clothes even to church- I’m sorry I don’t know what it’s called- it has no name brand label on it, but I have been wearing this one for several years now. my favorite by far- I was a runner for many years and no one had a clue that I was carrying as I ran

Echo waist pack for shorts without belt loops

1 Like

Welcome to the group @tom8! How do you find that for drawing from?

I pocket carry so it doesn’t matter. Shorts or pants, it’s all the same to me.

2 Likes

Hey guys. I’m encouraged by all of the posts on this thread and a few others to get rid of my crappy shorts and related soft belts. They are the reason I never carry when in shorts. Still, having been shopping for both belts and shorts for days, I’m having the same experience I have in the paper towel aisle at the store. There are too many choices and I just leave the store.

Also, my Ruger gun belt is 1.5" and fits in my Levi’s just fine. The soft belts that came with my shorts are 1.75". The Tulster holsters appear to take 1.5" thick/leather belts and 1.75" thin/nylon belts. Can anyone confirm? It looks like I’d need to order the shorts and have them in my hand to measure before I order any nylon belts.

The nylon belts are a whole different story with varying thicknesses (not belt width), qualities, buckle styles, sustainability. Paper towel aisle…

I see that many folks like $50-$100 shorts and belts in the same range. I’ve found so many with many superb reviews at much lower price points.

Are these bad?:
$16 Amazon
$22 for two Amazon
$20 Site

Shorts:
$20 TRU-SPEC 24-7 Series Simply Tactical Cargo Shorts
$48 (seems high for same quality) 5.11
$60 (high but I like that the cargo pockets are on the front, not the side-I hate sitting on all of that stuff in the car) 2 tone

Since I am old school, and not like a tactical belt, I have the daltech belt, steel core, have had it for at least 5 years, wear it everyday. Still looks like new! check it out, hope that helps.
When I wear shorts, I OWB carry, and wear an oversized tee shirt or shirt. Shorts I wear for work and everyday are carharts, or something like them in heavy duty. Even wallyworld has some good jean type shorts.

I have found that the size of the gun will have an impact on how I carry it. If I have a small gun, like LCP 380 I can carry that in a pocket holster in my cargo shorts, I also look for cargo shorts that have a nice side pocket. Some of my cargo shorts, and pants too, have a cargo pocket large enough that I can carry my Ruger LC9s in a pocket holster in the cargo pocket. If I am doing outdoors stuff I also have a nice fanny pack that also doubles as a small everyday carry bag. I also have a belly band that is made by Pistol wear, I am not affiliated with the company at all. I have worn several belly band holsters over the years and the Pistol wear is by far my favorite of all belly bands https://www.pistolwear.com/
I have always worn a belt regardless of how I carry.

Jeff

Carefully, very carefully.