Is smaller better

3 Likes

Somewhere between “never better” and “sometimes better.”

5 Likes

Variety is the spice of life. But there is something about carrying the same gun all the time.

3 Likes

Smaller is easier to conceal. More comfortable to carry. Lower capacity. Harder to shoot.

12 Likes

As they say, it is better to shoot what you can comfortably carry.
I really like our S&W with the 4" barrel, but my Hellcat Pro is alot more comfortable for me to carry. The form factor of the HC has me carrying it alot more than the S&W.
I do have to work more for accuracy with it, but it is more likely to be with me than not.

If you don’t like the bigger gun, you may not carry it as much due to comfort. Doesn’t do any good if you have nothing with you.

This will vary for everybody, not trying to start a debate :slight_smile:

6 Likes

For the sake of the debate that will follow, like it or not;)

What if people only had the bigger option? Maybe that would force some to carry that and not settle for the smaller option? Though I write that as someone who usually carries a P365 or LCP max even though I am a better shot at longer ranges with my home defense G19.

3 Likes

So I have to ask…does size matter?

Size always matters!

6 Likes

Maybe. But then I have a pretty good idea how many people actually legitimately carry daily, and I’m pretty sure it’s a lot smaller number than those who have the ability carry and maybe carry here or there. Overall, I’m pretty sure more people carrying smaller guns more often/all the time would be better off overall by far.

5 Likes

I am POGO pants on gun on if I’m awake my gun is on me. And I went from a Kimber ultra carry 2 to a Kimber raptor with a 4" barrel.

4 Likes

Guys like us who post regularly to gun/carry forums are getting towards the end of the bell curve on that. When I carry small it’s still 10+1 with an RDS, and my default is 15+1 4" barrel with an RDS and now a WML (though I could do without the WML and not be concerned). Sometimes it’s 4.5" 17+1 w/RDS

But I recognize I’m towards the end of the curve there…something the size of a basic Hellcat or an original P365 is what most people who carry-sometimes are willing to carry (hence their sales numbers)

6 Likes

I am probably an outlier here in that the time I most need to carry is when I am working and since most of my work these days is in CA I am unconstitutionally denied my 2A rights. When I’m not working I am mostly at home in my virtually crime free tiny town. So I only carry on my occasional trips to the grocery store and other errands in the nearby low crime “city”.

On the rare occasions nowadays that I get to work outside of CA I am usually wearing a backpack which makes waistline carry uncomfortable and ineffective. So pistols that I can pocket carry like the LCP max or P365 (a little big for my pockets but doable) work best. And since the threats in the backcountry areas where I work (outside of CA) are minimal I feel pretty comfortable with 12+1 or even sometimes 10+1 rounds. They are also easier and more comfortable to conceal for waistline carry around town. Those reasons are why small is mostly better for me. Though if I lived in a higher crime area I would probably suck it up and carry my G19.

6 Likes

On the contrary, IMO, part time carrying a small single stack/stack in a half makes you, IME, the most typical concealed carrier prototype out there. Many people can’t, don’t, won’t, choose not to carry at work or to and from work, and are left with what you are left with, and many choose that size gun. Maybe more use IWB than pocket, but plenty both, and they are fairly close overall. I think you’re right in the meat of the curve.

7 Likes

Agree that I am probably pretty average for a typical concealed carrier but suspect I am below the curve when it comes to percentage of time carrying amongst the regular posters here.

But regardless of how often anyone actually carries, or what anyone chooses to carry, I think it is most important for people to be aware of the potential threats and understand how to best avoid them and deal with them when they occur. Regardless of what tools you may or may not have available.

7 Likes

When I carry hellcat small it’s 11 + 1 with a 15 round mag spare I carry small most of the time but from time to time Carrie a 4-in barrel 1911. With my 1911 it’s only 8 + 1 and an eight round spare.

I don’t feel insecure about my safety with either one but the hellcat is so much more comfortable all day Carry. I shoot both reasonably well with the edge given to the 1911 though.

5 Likes

some big guns lol :crazy_face:

5 Likes

I will give up comfort and normally do to carry what I am proficient with. I tried the subs, went back to the 4”-4.5” pistols. Better holster and belt made it more comfortable.

8 Likes

I don’t find bigger guns uncomfortable but they are slower for me to draw and a little more difficult to conceal under lightweight clothing.

I shoot my Hi-Power very well but seldom carry it because it’s slower to draw from 4:00 IWB than my VP9; the p365xl is easiest.

7 Likes

Exactly, it’s also the reason I prefer “jumbo shrimp” approach.

but they are slower for me to draw and a little more difficult to conceal under lightweight clothing.

.45ACP in 3” fast on the draw, proficient, accurate and indented in my hip!

Totally concealed with extremely lightweight attire. I could get away with just a t-shirt but that’s not my style. I prefer blending with society. You can call me Magnum, just drop the P.I.

100% cotton batik shirts, complete concealment! Pretty comforting really!

9 Likes

Better in terms of what?

I’m comfortably carrying a Shield 9mm
but seriously considering a switch to a 1911 2 lbs+
Or, keep the weight down and buy my first Glock.
Why? I’m more accurate with bigger guns.

9 Likes

I looked up my DR920 4.5” weight that I carry and the new Gen 5 G19 4.02” I picked up(I used to have a Gen 4, wanted one for left handed) and they weigh almost identically :thinking::man_shrugging:

3 Likes