Back up gun do you or dont you

Just curious how many people carry a back up gun and how do you carry it. When i am off work i do carry a back up gun i carry a shield in a ankle holster witch is super uncomfortable I don’t carry it because i worry about my gun going down its more for if a situation ever arises where a second gun needed tobe given to my who dose not carry but. Has had firearms training

6 Likes

I carry a backup, I carry a J frame S&W 38, cross draw.

Larry

3 Likes

It depends. Traveling, passing through higher risk area, family with me-yes. Otherwise I have one sidearm and extra mag(s), and a long gun in the truck

2 Likes

I would if I could, but I can’t so I don’t.

3 Likes

In the cold weather when I can conceal a mid-size gun like my M&P 2.0 9mm subcompact 3 1/2" I will pocket carry one of my Ruger LCP 380s.

4 Likes

Backup is the another element of surprise… :slightly_smiling_face:
Maybe I do, maybe I don’t :wink: :smiling_imp:

Greetings to all non Forum members following us here :raised_hand:

10 Likes

In my eighteen wheeler I carry my rock island 1911 which stays in my shooters bag and over head in the storage compartment i have ruger 45 long colt. Both stay loaded.

6 Likes

If I am leaving town I will carry a Beretta .32 w/Underwood Extreme Defender ammo, usually pocket or coat carry, winter is easier hot summer is harder, my EDC 9mm at 3:00 and two knives, left and right side carry.
Also I carry Pepper spray for non-lethal and a heavy cane. I may look like an easy target… :smiling_imp:

4 Likes

I don’t currently have one, but I want one. Problem is deciding in a subcompact I like and finding it available locally.

1 Like

I do not. If you need a backup in the average self-defense situation, the outcome is probably not going to be in your favor and I think it’s okay to find peace with this fact instead of trying to carry a ridiculous amount of stuff (on your person.)

Average (The Rule of Threes): Three yards, three rounds, three seconds.

6 Likes

I never carry a second firearm on my person.
I do have 3 Chinese throwing stars on me at all times, , , just kidding.

I do have a long gun in the truck all the time for varmints and what not out on the ranch.

2 Likes

I carry extra magazines and a knife or two. :innocent: I haven’t figured out the best way for me to carry a BUG yet.

2 Likes

Have you narrowed it down? You’ll greatly increase your chances of finding one by adding in Internet sellers. I haven’t bought locally in years unless you include the FFL fee. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I agree with your thinking (I carry one also), but what if one fails? A backup of some kind makes sense, whether knife, pepper spray, or a firearm (person’s choice), no?

3 Likes

I dont carry a backup at this time. I am not opposed to it in theory though. As a smaller guy, it is mildly challenging to properly conceal my EDC Sig P365. I do carry a spare 12 round mag and a decent assisted-opening folding knife.

2 Likes

Are you set on a subcompact? Clint Smith did a video where he discussed his BUG in an ankle holster and he feels a revolver like a LCR or J frame is best as if you get to the point where you need it, you are up close and personal or rolling around on the ground with the perp and that a revolver is better in this situation as if you push an auto up against someone, you can take it out of battery and it wont fire till you can get some separation. Just something to think about.

As for the question posed by the OP, no, not on my body. However, in this day and age, I do have a rifle in my truck. All durring the pandemic and all this nonsense going on, I have been an “essential” worker as has my wife, so our kids have continued going to school/day care (same thing for us) and my wife and I are physically seperated from each other and the boys, so its more of a true what if and we need to find a way to get back together. Its like if you follow John Lovell of the Warrior Poet Society, to paraphrase him, its not bug out, its get home.

1 Like

The same holds true if you pocket carry if you were to unlikely have to fire wile it was still in your pocket the lack of space may not permit the slide to operate properly and or not properly eject the spent cartridge

2 Likes

What about the rule of 2
One is none
Two is one
With all seriousness I dont carry mine in case mine malfunctions i carry extra mags for that i carry a backup in case there is a situation where i could hand it to my wife fore say if we were out camping and i had to separate for a little bit or if we are dealing with a large group of people trying to surround us

4 Likes

You have to pull the gun out of your pocket before you pull the trigger. Otherwise what your saying is true. They also make these wallet holsters for real small autos with a whole in the side exposing the trigger.

1 Like

I would never shoot from inside my pocket seams a bit reckless i watched a video with it. I believe it was Lenny Magill talking about it

2 Likes