Back up gun do you or dont you

Negative. I shoot my guns often, clean them often, and train often. I can clear the infrequent FTF or FTE. People will probably disagree, but IMO carrying and accessing a backup firearm is too cumbersome … even a subcompact. Pepper spray, a tactical knife, and a tactical pen are my backups. Perfect? Nope. But easy to carry and quick to access.

2 Likes

On family road trips, I always carry an extra handgun.
My wife and my kids are familiar with my guns.

3 Likes

Interesting. I think of pepper spray as the primary and firearm as the secondary.

2 Likes

@Brad. You’re THE MAN. You’re 100% correct. Pepper spray is most likely the primary. I stand properly corrected, great post.

1 Like

I’ve got a short list to try out on the next range trip. While I normally wouldn’t mind buying off the internet, I figure I’d rather support a local gun shop. While there aren’t a shortage of them in my area and it doesn’t look like they’re hurting for business right now, I’d rather they stay in business.

I’m not set on a subcompact, but if I’m close enough that I’m worried about being out of battery, my first thought would be to go for a knife and rapidly stab whatever I can repeatedly. The other consideration is that if I’m with my family when things go south, my wife gets my EDC as she doesn’t carry and I then have to make do with the backup. I’ve seen her try shooting a P365 and after the first shot, I was worried that we’d learn the bad way whether or not it was drop safe.

I have nothing against anyone’s personal decision to carry anything they are comfortable with. It’s just important to be realistic and not give yourself a false sense of invincibility because of the amount of gear you carry.

The amount of time that elapses before you have even mentally made the decision to draw your weapon and prepare to defend yourself (or someone else) stacked on top of the time that elapses before you realize your primary has failed leaves you incredibly vulnerable—dead or in a brawl. At this point, martial arts will become more important than what you are carrying.

If you’re going into combat—or you maintain a bug out bag or get home bag—sure… The Rule of Two is important and you should keep a BUG in those bags or in your vehicle (if legally possible.) Just remember, you want to avoid dangerous situations if possible. The idea of carrying a weapon in every concealable place possible on your body—as if prepared for war—is just silly in my opinion.

Lol lol

It depends on the scenario if pepper spray is primary i.e. an unarmed assailant.

1 Like

I have carried a back up but that was if I was only carrying into what I considered a high threat area. Then of course I have to ask myself " Self, why are you going into a stupid place, at a stupid time" ? Then I reevaluate, do I really need to go there or is there a way around? So I carried 2 back up guns on 12/19/18 and a couple other times but I usually reason a way to go somewhere else to achieve the same result

5 Likes

Great points. Avoidance is key.

“The best fight is the one you avoid.”

4 Likes

I carry a s&w model 15 combat master piece in 38 special where I do is my secret but if my main carry is ever taken out of battery my back up is right there.

2 Likes

I carry extra gear because I can’t fight…running is almost impossible without nerve blockers. It’s not about feeling invincible or like I’m prepared for a war, it’s about using what you can how you can. I may appear to be an easy target because I walk funny and walking takes extra effort, but I promise I won’t be…regardless of the inability to use martial arts.

4 Likes

“A man has got to know his limitations” Well said @Levi2

3 Likes