Are you…..?

I was recently approached at the range with…”I see you’re a “Glock Guy.” To which that statement was immediately followed by…”I have a” blah blah blah. It came across more as a price comparison rather than anything else.

I replied, “that’s cool! I’m no more a Glock Guy than I am a S&W Guy or Taurus Guy or Remington Guy and so on. The tool of choice in my mind is relative to the intended purpose followed by a few other factors.” I shut the conversation down for several reasons I won’t go into.

My curiosity since then kicked in. I would like to know…

Other than intended purpose such as duty, home defense, sporting and/or collections to name a few, where does brand rank amongst…

Comfort
Functionality
Capacity
Accessorizing
Price?

6 Likes

My first ever firearm purchase was the one that had a “Sale” tag. It happened to be a Ruger. The more I learned about the brand, the more I became a fanboy but I now own a S&W, Springfield Armory, RIA, and also used to own a fine CZ pistol.
If I were to rank:
Quality at an affordable price - regardless of brand

9 Likes

For me after researching, reviewing, and hands on feeling, the brand of handguns I chose fit all categories of comfort, functionality, capacity, accessorizing, price, and quality which is Sig Sauer full size and a compact.

8 Likes

Depends on the intended purpose.

3 Likes

I wish more gun owners were as mature as you are about the “brand” they own.

On second thought, maybe there are more people, but I don’t notice them because they aren’t running around the range bragging about their firearms. :laughing:

7 Likes

Many gun nuts are gun nuts. Brand loyalty is king, but the same holds true with all commodities.

We just like to talk about our stuff.

8 Likes

You forgot one…pretty! Any weapon should meet all of the above criteria, but it has to look good, too. Deadly force, no matter how necessary, is such an ugly business. Infusing it with a little beauty may not improve functionality, but it may be a balm to the soul.

5 Likes

Comfort
Yes. However carrying is not comfortable. But keeping it in quite good comfort is a good idea
Functionality
Don’t all firearms do the same? You press the trigger, projectile goes the direction you point the muzzle.
Capacity
Yes, yes… and another yes. Even statistics says you don’t need a lot of ammo… there’s a still a chance you may need defend yourself from more than single threat.
Accessorizing
Nope
Price
Somehow yes… but if the price comes with better shooting results … I don’t care about the price.

I’m guessing most of us have multiple firearms from different manufacturers.
Are you attached to a specific one?
I am. I took me 3 years to find the one. It doesn’t mean I don’t shoot other firearms, but this one is in 99% in everyday use.

I can understand people coming to me and talking about their tools… or like some says "toys":grin:.
This is a human nature. Especially new shooters, excited being on the range with a new firearm they were thinking about for months. And there it is sitting in their hands, making holes in the paper target…all is so cool. Be honest and think if you (maybe not all of us) didn’t do the same being a newbie some time ago… :wink:

5 Likes

coughCARS!cough

3 Likes

What’s your favorite vehicle? Who’s your favorite Sports team? What’s your favorite food?

All these are subjective, just like your firearm. With firearms, most people buy what they can afford, what feels best in their hand, and what fits their needs. Are there brands that perform better overall…sure, but that doesn’t mean they’re the best for everyone. My cheap pistols have just as many rounds through them as my expensive ones and they all perform as intended. Pick what fits and feels right to you.

3 Likes

Gucci guns are not necessarily more reliable than off-the-rack guns and often even less reliable. There’s a certain brand of 1911 that has a reputation of malfunctions in high-round training courses across the board yet it’s bragged on ad nauseam by their owners.

Like Jaguars: all status, no reliability.

5 Likes

You must appendix carry?

4 Likes

Brand is important my first purchase was a beretta my second one a glock my third a steyr I made poly 80’s then ar platform rifles brand has legacy value but that’s it ,one of the first guns I sold was the glock I bought lol I trust the glock I trust the beretta more I trust my steyr equally

3 Likes

9 Likes

Maybe. Maybe not.

If you didn’t disengage the safety, you probably won’t get that projectile. Or maybe there isn’t a safety. Or maybe the safety operates in a different direction with a different interface than what you’re used to so it didn’t quite get disengaged.

If revolver, maybe you tried to slide the cylinder release forward in order to execute a reload but that one was a push button not a slide and the thing won’t open meanwhile the clock is ticking and everyone is watching and you’re just like $*@& gahhh

Or, and I just saw this happen live on the clock at a match recently, you’re supposed to be putting a shotgun slug into the target’s head buuuuut try as you might the shells in the tube aren’t making it to the lifter and then the chamber because you didn’t hit the shell release, you’re just racking that semi’s bolt and nothing is happening.

The things that happen when others are watching.’

Personally I’m really big on consistency of user interface between my firearms. Given the variables above that would probably come to functionality

4 Likes

I agree, now that I have shot countless pistols and carried a majority of them it came down to what fit my hands, (grip angle, texture, size), caliber, which one I can hit my targets with greater accuracy and customer service.
Price is the last consideration.

3 Likes

Safety or not safety, pistol or revolver, differences between manufactures…
These for me are more usability, not functionality … but my interpretation might be wrong…

IDK, I might call usability something like its size, reliability, accuracy, capacity, etc, all combined.

If we are choosing between

Comfort
Functionality
Capacity
Accessorizing
Price?

From the OP, I’d put those things into functionality and maybe some of comfort?

3 Likes

This method is the fastest to draw and easiest to conceal for me.

… And I love when the grip is touching my belly… :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

That’s the king, The Big One, The most Important!
It has to work as intended in any circumstance. Looks good, feels good, smells good are all OK but if it doesn’t work it just Looks good, feels good, smells good.

6 Likes