Are you emotional attached?

So wrestled tossed and turned with this one…
So, go to an AWESOME training class, instructor say " don’t get emotional attached to your pistol/firearm it’s just a tool" made ALOT of sense to me so I pondered after the class and have a Sig x 320 compact
With 3 holsters 4 mags. Mag carrier and the Wilson grip.
Got it about 6 months ago. Have not really shot it. Hemmed and hawed, ( cause I buy guns not sell). :rofl:
So after talking with the Mrs. She doesn’t feel comfortable with a striker fire w/o a safety .
After all night finally went to the shop and put up for sale.
I think I had the gun sweats🤣
So we will see. Yet I guess it does make sense if you don’t use it really like it , I guess sell it. Like the stock market, by low sell high.
Appently in my neck of the woods these Sigs are pretty rare. 🤷
So are you emotional attached to your sidearm ?
What would you all do?
Thanks for the look! :+1:

7 Likes

Unfortunately, I’ve named all my weapons and they have all treated my very well, furthermore I count on them (God forbid I have to use them) to save my life. Yes I am attached. When one of my daughters expressed concern in her neighborhood I immediately gave her my firstborn/first purchase! The night I came home I knew she was as safe as could be, but I couldn’t wait to get my firearm back. After six months or so, I just couldn’t take it anymore. So my wife and I picked up a small handgun for her and mine was returned. A lot of blood , sweat and oil go into all my firearms, I could probably make a few million dollars in NY or Chicago right now, but there is no way I’m giving up anything. Don’t even bother asking the wife, she is a little more ruthless!
As for the second part of your question, keep it as a backup piece, I think we’re going to need them!

6 Likes

@Scott52,
That is what wrestled with, then I took inventory of the safe! :+1::rofl:

6 Likes

Emotionally attached, yep…I kinda am to my weapons. As I have told new gun owners, if you have purchased a weapon you NEED to practice shooting and get comfortable using it AND take a class for a permit or get pro instruction on using your firearm…or do all three. Otherwise, you shouldn’t haven’t purchased a firearm at all…you should have chosen a rock or a baseball bat for protection. Firearms are tools and yes, you can become emotionally attached to them…nothing wrong with that. And I will add this…I suggest a back-up. If, God forbid, you DID have to use your weapon in a situation, it is likely the law will take that weapon as evidence or hold it for a period of time…so have a back-up ready that you are trained with, until you get the other one returned.

3 Likes

Are you emotional attached?

YEP
My Luke Sccy Walker

5 Likes

Yeah I don’t buy any tool to sell it. None. Ever.i have a couple of weapons I would give out. Inexpensive but reliable. If you do any prepping at all you have some for others to use if need be. Attached ; I guess so

5 Likes

Yes, I am attached to my chil… uh guns. Some more than others. I may be sad if I were to sell my CZ, and appreciative of the charter arms da revolver if I were to sell them. I am rather attached to my 1911, as well as my Shield, and have a really hard time even thinking of ever selling them. But I thought the same way about my Mossberg 410 bore many years ago that I had to sell due to hard times.

4 Likes

No, not at all in fact I’m very objective and use a simple mathematical formula to determine when I need to sell one of my guns…

X = Y + 1

Where Y equals the number of guns I currently own and X equals the number of guns I need/should have.

So far the math hasn’t worked out for me to sell any guns yet…objectively speaking…

:slight_smile:

7 Likes

I am invested in all my guns. They all have a story and I just plain don’t sell guns. Once I buy it. It’s mine forever or my wife or daughter take it away from me.

5 Likes

Emotionally attached to my inherited firearms from my Grandfather and my first AR purchased with the money my Grandfather left me after he passed since he was the one who introduced my brothers and I to shooting.

I don’t carry those.

My primary carry, I bought a second, another TP9SFX. All stock, no upgrades on any carry except a light from time to time. If I had to defend myself and the firearm is taken by the police, I would be after to get it back asap but I would also have a spare to keep on carrying.

2 Likes

I know this is about being attached to a firearm and I can see where one would easily feel that way. My brother is that way about his. I think in my life there have been far fewer times when I had to rely on a gun compared to the number of times I had to rely on something much more personal. I carry a knife and it has always been my last line of defense. I have had to rely on it to save my life where a gun just would not have been practical. I have a fondness for my collection. I know it may seem weird but it has been my guardian angel more time than I care to count.

4 Likes

@Randy54

I love my knives, especially, Damascus Steel. I have a room dedicated to them. I always have at least 4 on as part of my EDC.

1 Like

After several firearms, and finding the “right fit”, yes am attached. In my old age, I tend to become more anal. Also attached to my favorite screwgun, air guns, driver guns, welder guns, son of a gun, drill guns, electric impact guns, etc. The fit, brand of long duration, taking everyday use, and parts availability, are some of the major concerns.

3 Likes

Interesting topic this.
I carried the same Python for 12 years in a SAR unit and I was shocked when I learned that I could shoot a S&W more accurately. Pythons are beautiful works of the machinist’s Art and I had mine tricked out with a set of custom Herret’s which made the parting that much more difficult but in the end, it was a tool and I replaced it with a better (for me) tool.
In retrospect that was unusual—familiarity spanning a decade more often than not improves one’s skill with a particular handgun----that certainly rings true with my 1911 and Centennial but sadly, not the serpent.

1 Like

I did sell the first gun I ever bought, I wasn’t into the lifestyle the way I am now. And yes, I am kicking myself for it right now. However, I used that money to buy a gun I am still in love with all of these years later.

They are tools, however, they are lifesaving tools that have unique characteristics. We train with them more than we train with any other tool including cars as many of us don’t “train” with our car we just drive it.

And @Cobra - LOVE the name of your gun!! LOVE IT!

2 Likes

My instructor told us to carry a reliable gun we are ok with never seeing again. In most cases if you use it, the police will take during the investigation. While you may be entitled to get it back, you have to be lucky enough for it not to be lost in evidence, accidentally destroyed, etc.

3 Likes

Name the guns? wait … I thought they were all named the same…

"let me introduce you to "my little friend"

no?

then I arm corrected!

1 Like

I try not to be… But I would say at least a little. I did purchase my firearms with :moneybag: earned by working. It has been said that we “labor for what we love, and we love what we labor for…” I think the attachment can go to epic & dangerous proportions but there is attachment nonetheless.

I have sold older versions of certain weapons, only to take that :moneybag: and put it toward the new shinier model! To me that’s acceptable because I’m not a collector. Each purchase must serve a purpose.

:v:t5:

2 Likes

@James322, I don’t sell any of my guns. Like @Scott52 said. I’ve named my guns. I’ve cleaned them and oiled them. I’ve griped them and pulled the trigger. You can almost say I love them. Wow this is getting a little weird… :no_mouth:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

My Pop, RIP, had bought a firearm off a coworker needing some money. I never new about this until he gave it to me back in 2000. He gave the guy $100.00 for it in 1978. It is a Colt Peace keeper .22LR new in the box, also came with a mag cylinder. It is supposed to be worth a lot more. But yeah, can’t seem to part with it. Only been shot once since… You can say I am emotionally attached due to my Pop. Miss you Pop.

3 Likes