Any holster suggestions I wonder

Hi I’m new here I’m a new ccl carry permit holder in Illinois I’m very new to concealed carry for inside of the waistband! So My question is what are great options for carrying a full size Springfield xdm 3.8! Any suggestions are much appreciated :smiley:

2 Likes

Hmmm… :thinking: It’s gonna be tough… holster is really personal preference, but let’s try…
I’ve never handled Springfield XD-M 3.8, but it is very close with size to my two pistols I’ve been carrying (it’s actually between - 3.6" CZ and 4.25" M&P).
I’ve started with IWB 2 o’clock cross draw, hybrid holster. It worked fine - it was high enough that the muzzle didn’t press my thigh when sitting, additionally muzzle wasn’t pointed at femoral artery.
Then I switched to OWB 3 o’clock because it was much comfortable, “stay at home order” and fall/winter garment allowed to to use it.
Right now I’m looking toward AIWB. I’m still not convinced in 100% to carry this way, but recent reviews read, video watched and statements written by experienced Community Members made me to purchase good quality AIWB holster. That might be the best way to carry such handgun… who knows… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

What position are you planning to carry or have you decided that yet?

Like Jerzy said, holsters are very personal. I prefer all Kydex. I know the retention is good, and I know the trigger is always 100% covered. Hybrids are a proven design, but I prefer full Kydex.

Do you need it to be tuckable?

I find Vedder to be a well rounded holster. I’ve carried a shield 45 in one at the 3:00 position for about a year. I now carry a full size M&P in a JM Custom in the AIWB position. Those are the two holsters I’ve had the most success with.

If you go for a hybrid leather holster, I highly recommend avoiding adjustable screws on a leather holster. The leather will give some with time, and the screws will give some with time. It’s a nightmare to adjust retention. (I hate the Crossbreed Reckoning holster). I’ve heard good thinks about their King Tuck holsters. I don’t care for one, but that could be a decent 4:00 option.

My advice would be to do lots of research and buy a good quality holster. Don’t try to cut corners on cost unless you really have to. You’ll end up wanting the better quality holster down the road. That being said, most of us have a pile of holsters somewhere.

2 Likes

Thank you I’m going to end up doing a lot of research and possibly going with crossbreed! Or a just heard that Safariland is a good company or alien I’m not sure yet!

2 Likes

There are a lot of threads at the Community about different holsters - pros and cons, what to look for, what to avoid.
Use “search” icon on the top of the screen and type in " holster". You will get multiple results.

4 Likes

Thank u so much I need one for inside the waistband

1 Like

If you are not decided or not sure what will work for you - buy something typical, fe. Muddy River Tactical IWB for $45. Next go for a class and find out if this is what you want.
You can talk with Instructor and other students, exchange opinions and eventually try different carry options.
Unfortunately nobody will tell you what to buy and what is the best for you. You have to figure it out by yourself.
Just read few threads and find the starting point. Perhaps the first holster you buy will be exactly what you like…

5 Likes

I really like my Flashbang Capone. It’s a hybrid, that is tuckable. I wear mine at about the 4 o’clock position. Comfortable enough to ride in a car for 4.5 hours with my M&P 45C, walk around a car dealership for a couple of hours, then drive 4.5 hours back home.

1 Like

Yes I would love to take a class I did some research online I think appendix would be good! I have to research on what companies to go with a strong reputation :smiley:

3 Likes

That’s a good plan. You can take a risk and spend over $100 for great AIWB holster or just buy a cheap one and test it.
I chose the second path (ended up with “drawer full of holsters” :joy:)…
I love AIWB with my M&P22. But it’s small and I’m not sure how it will work with full size gun. We will see…

Remember - whatever you do - you should attend a class. :point_up_2:

3 Likes

:100: the muddy river tactical is really good quality for the price too.

(Edit: it is not the most comfortable AIWB holster in my experience. The Kydex is bulkier than other brands, and the edges aren’t as smooth. It is a great holster for the price, but don’t be surprised if it’s not super comfortable AIWB. It does work, I’m sure if you could Velcro a Gillette insert on it for a wedge too, but by the time you buy the inserts and the Velcro, you could have bought a better holster).

2 Likes

Here’s a topic I created where I was helped to figure out AIWB.

Appendix is much more comfortable with a holster designed for AIWB. For example, the Muddy River Tactical Holster is good quality, I recommend it. I have used it for AIWB, but it is no where close to as comfortable as a higher end.

I recently switched to JM Custom Kydex’s 2.0 holster after being advised by @Harvey. It is really comfortable (for carrying a full size AIWB). It’s not cheap, but I was squatting at the park with my 1 year old with no problem a couple of days. It has made carrying a full-size gun very doable for me after carrying a subcompact strong side previously.

No matter what brand you get, get a wedge. You can get away with not having a wedge on smaller pistols, but with a a full size (or even compact) grip you want a wedge and a claw (some Kydex options have a wedge and claw built in). The claw and wedge help a lot with concealment and comfort.

The best names for Appendix I’ve found with my research are Tier 1 Axis or Agis and JM custom Kydex AIWB holster (they have 4 models). I’ve heard Darkstar and Keepers concealment are also good.

2 Likes

I recently purchased a holster from this guy (off his ebay account though) for an XD Mod2 subcompact with a Streamlight TLR-6. I have purchased more holsters than I care to admit to and this one is built with one of the best molds I have seen. Give them a look. I will be returning there.
Gunner's Custom Holsters

1 Like

Perhaps this looooong reading gives you some ideas…

2 Likes

I carry a Springfield XD 45 ACP full size and use the Alien Gear cloak tuck 3.5 which is an in the waistband holster can’t even tell you haven’t on and gun is nice and secure and will not move

3 Likes

I wonder as an other alternative to wearing a t-shirt with the left and right holsters of your choice I believe the company is called Undertech Undercover I just purchased a shirt yesterday I wonder how that will work

1 Like

@Jerzees Hit the nail on the head. I don’t think I’d be wrong if I said everyone of us has a collection of holsters we tried and moved on from. Also having alternatives for different clothing options is essential.

4 Likes

It’s definitely an experiment for sure so many different options out there I’m going to see what works

2 Likes

Check out Lytton Custom Holsters. I have 2 plus a 3 mag holster.

2 Likes

One thing I’ve found about ordering a holster… I’m halfway through a two month wait. They are very busy! Which I’m gonna consider a great thing.

2 Likes