+1 in the chamber -1 in the magazine +1 in the magazine

I’ve read/heard that breakages or stoppages might be more likely when dropping the slide on a round in the chamber, vs from the mag, because the gun was designed to be fed from the mag, and it’s not good for the extractor to slam over the case rim as the extractor was designed to have the rim slide up into position

6 Likes

Start from 11:14–

3 Likes

When I have to reload my XD40, I lock back the slide, insert one round into the chamber, release the slide-stop, and then insert the magazine. So I always have 13 rounds in the pistol. I also carry a spare magazine in case of magazine failure or need. If I am going into a sketchy area or one I have never been to, I carry two magazines; one FMJs and one JHP. That way I have penetrating rounds and stopping power. So fully loaded, I carry 37 rounds.

Why do I carry as I do? In short, “Better to Have and Not Need, than to Need and Not Have.” For those who doubt why anyone would need reloads, have you seen some of the mobs that have been in the news, with all those “mostly peaceful protests?” If you say, well, what if there are more than 37 troublemakers? Well then I have to rely on psychology and the human survival instinct. By that I mean after seeing 36 others shot, who wants to be number 37? Or number 2 for that matter?

Have and Not Need

Might want to skip to 11:14 on the Bill Wilson (Wilson Combat) video one post before yours. Maybe Bill doesn’t know what he’s talking about, but why risk turning your 37 rounds available into only 1 round shootable? Unless you carry an appropriate stick to push each spent cartridge out of the chamber so you can insert another 1 round in and shoot it …

This is what my handgun owner manual has to say about it. Unfortuanately they do not elaberate about the consequences:

That reminds me of my 1st shotgun. It had a broken extractor. I trampled all over the woods with a stiff wire stuffed down my pants leg. If I lost that wire my shooting was over until I walked home and got another one.

5 Likes

Always refill magazine. No limit in PA

1 Like

I have an extra mag on my belt and 2 more in my backpack. No such thing as, “Too much” Ammo.

“Too much ammo”? Probably not. “Not worth the opportunity cost”…different discussion. There’s no free lunch.

That’s for most people ^ who don’t EDC a backpack.

When you EDC a backpack that is also a different discussion. You can carry a hell of a lot more stuff.

1 Like

When I edc my bag I have 150 ish 10mm rnds plus my cmmg and glock 29. That’s just when I travel etc. I still carry on my body with a spare mag

I know that this story shows that there were 40 potential targets to aim at, but I imagine that even with their higher than normal numbers, they would have all scattered just as every other thug/bully does when confronted by a “force equalizer”. Just one punk experiencing FIBS will discourage all the others from experiencing same.

2 Likes

Actually, those studies show a very low probability of needing a reload, but you already have a very low chance of needing your weapon to begin with, but you chose to be a self-protector anyways, so why limit your options. The fact is, if your incident falls into that rare of rarity, and you draw and don’t end the threat, now that threat knows you are a threat despite your (potentially) running dry.

1 Like

Train (prepare) for the possibility, not the probability!

3 Likes

@RoLaAus, welcome to the team!!_

1 Like

The odds of needing a firearm are exponentially higher than the odds of needing reload…even if you start from “when you need a firearm, what are the odds of needing a reload?”…the answer is still virtually zero chance.

There are, what, tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of defensive gun uses in the US each year?

And how many where a reload (by a private citizen concealed carrier) is used?

Not sure, but as far as we can tell…zero.

So on the one hand you have tens of thousands of DGU’s a year ,and on the other hand, you have 0 reloads. Pretty different odds.

At which point, if you ask me, it comes down to opportunity cost. What could you carry that is more likely to save your life in place of that magazine? A tourniquet? Israeli bandage? A non lethal since those attacks are so common, like maybe pepper spray?

4 Likes

All that said, a magazine isn’t that big and there is a chance you might use it, so, if you want to, go for it. Plenty do. I’m sure somebody along the way has used one, and I’m sure at some point in the future somebody else will as well. Especially if single stack

2 Likes

Exactly. I think when we get into these discussions, we sometimes become mono-focused. How many rounds to stop the BGs?

If I’m carrying enough rounds to guarantee that I can stop the BGs in every situation, I’m pretty sure it’ll come at the cost of being able to simply enjoy day to day life. And if I’m not able to do that, what’s the point anyway?

4 Likes

to, too, and two are just so blame confusing

Their are a lot of twos out there, your bound to find some slips in informal, non professional writing

1 Like

I doubt I’d ever empty a mag in a self defense scenario and need to reload and re-engage so I’m not on board with that logic. I do however see and agree with the extra mag to cover a malfunction. I would be a bit concerned with the time space continuum though, say, after the first shot the threat knows I’m armed but continues to be a threat. I rack, drop, stuff, and rack for shot #2. By then the threat has had time to close the distance or God forbid take aim and return fire. I practice the rack, drop, stuff, rack drills so I’m probably able to do it as good as most folks but still, there is a time that I’m unable to engage the threat.

2 Likes

If all you are looking at is pure numbers, the need for a firearm is very low, the need for more than 1 round even lower, the need for more than 2 lower and so on and so on. I’ll continue to carry with a full mag, a round in the pipe and a full spare mag along with several other tools. I use a knife and flashlight on a regular basis but I have never had to fire a weapon in self defense or defense of others, on duty or off duty but I prepare as if today might be the day.
In the end, you do you! Carry what feels right for you.

6 Likes

I love it. That is the mindset we all need o to have!!

5 Likes