What is your "Readiness (or carry) Condition"?

If you have a CCW, what condition do you keep your weapon in? Why?

Readiness (or carry) Conditions

1. Round in chamber, slide forward, magazine inserted, safety on.
  2. Does not apply.
  3. Chamber empty, slide forward, magazine inserted, safety on.
  4. Chamber empty, slide forward, no magazine inserted, safety on.
4 Likes

Cond. 1, no manual safety
 Draw from holster, aim, shoot

Any gun I have not holstered is full mag, empty chamber, safety on if so equipped. Condition 3.

9 Likes

Depends on the weapon and other specifics
 Typically 1 or 3. Most of the weapons I would typically carry don’t have a safety.

Some I carry on an empty chamber because it’s safer that way - like w/ an old Colt revolver with an integral firing pin. If I carry that weapon I have 5 rounds - the hammer is on an empty chamber.

HD (not in scope) weapons are the same way. Shotguns, like the Mossberg 500, are in ‘cruiser ready’ without a round chambered because they’re not considered ‘drop safe’.

Knowing the weapon you’re carrying and the specifics around the design, including potential shortcomings, allows for changing your carry posture to remain the most safe while doing so.

3 Likes

Why? This is how we carry 1911 / 2011. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I still haven’t gotten comfortable carrying the XD without a safety.

2 Likes

AIWB round in chamber and magazine full, either Glock or 1911 about 98% of the time, leaning more towards Glock 43X or 48 with Shield Arms 15 round mags, one in the gun and one spare on me nowadays.

2 Likes

Is there any other condition, other than condition 1? That’s a rhetorical question!
If you want to survive and you carry a handgun, racking a slide at the moment you’re about to lose your life seems sorta meaningless!
1 in the chamber or 6 feet underground. The choice is yours!

11 Likes

I prefer a safety myself, 1911 is my nightstand option, its always ready to go with 1 in the chamber. My edc is always full mag, nothing in the chamber. I am a practice nut with my edc, so I don’t keep1 chambered. Every other weapon I own AR 10, shotgun and a few other handguns are mag full nothing in the chamber

2 Likes

When I carry my fav it’s condition 1 except mine has no “safety Switch” it has a trigger safety.
My secondary has a pretty light trigger so I carry it Condition 1, it has a Safety switch.

1 Like

Very low crime area. Sometimes Condition 1. Usually, Empty chamber, slide forward, magazine in, safety off. Threat assessment: medium to high.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Condition #1 Because I train that way!

4 Likes

Thanks everyone. Very good tips and info! I have G17 and switch conditions depending on my holster method. I really appreciate everyone’s feedback.

3 Likes

I carry OWB every day, even at home with a .380-M&P Shield EZ, with only a grip safety, a full magazine and one in the chamber. The last few years I’ve changed to using the cross draw position with no printing issues. I also, wear loose shirts (not necessarily Hawaiian shirts) in summer and light-long loose fitting sweat shirts in winter. If anyone notices I print. Works fine with me. Have a good one.
j@r

3 Likes

I always carry condition 1, AIWB with one in the chamber and a manual safety.

5 Likes

Condition 1

3 Likes

My EDC is a DAO semi-auto with no safety. I carry chambered, so I think I’m technically a condition zero. Being hammer fired, the long 10-lb trigger acts as my safety. It was tough to master, but now that I have, I love it.

3 Likes

Agreed, The trigger pull on my LCR is about 3 feet so I don’t worry much about AD with that one.

4 Likes

Why do you switch conditions?

5 Likes

Condition 1 with DA as my safety.

2 Likes