Yard Work and Carrying?

No need to carry while doing yard work here. As a retired LEO I am very aware that you can be a victim anywhere but when I moved way out into the country I am now more concerned about wild animals than bad guys wanting to harm me. When I lived/worked closer to DC in VA maybe I thought about it more. Now I am looking at farmland and cattle everywhere I look.

6 Likes

I carry IWB working in the yard. It’s second nature. No issues.

6 Likes

I carry the same as going out in public. OWC with a loose fitting shirt.

5 Likes

Hire illegals to do your yard work; it’s the American way.

3 Likes

Plenty of illegals here in WI farm country but none asking to do lawns. :man_facepalming:

1 Like

I live in a big Dem controlled city that has turned to dookie. Because of Covid shutdowns the rat population moved into the neighborhoods seeking food so I always carry a bb pistol in my back pocket when outside working. A neighbor saw it sticking out and called the police, who showed up and thaught it pretty funny but warned me it will probably happen again. Now I have to conceal carry my daisy… Lord help us

8 Likes

Welcome back home @Trevor6 , get you a flute and dance the :rat: over to your neighbors place.

5 Likes

5 Likes

There you go. Let us know if it works out for you. Lol

3 Likes

Neighbors worst nightmare

4 Likes

Ok. Had something happened today while I was out in my yard spraying weeds along the woodlines. I have 5 acres with 2 of grass that abuts woods on two sides. Farms and more woods surround me on all sides except the road in front of me. I was wearing a full 4-gallon backpack sprayer and just started spraying when I saw a Black bear coming through the woods towards me. He was maybe 20-25 yards away. I have faced bad guys more times than I can count but this sight made me wonder if my wife would come home from work and eventually find my carcass. I was not carrying as I said in my earlier post and there was zero chance I was going to outrun this guy. So I was preparing to spray 2,4-D in his face. All of the sudden he got maybe 15 yards from me and I realized it was a black cow that had apparently gotten through the fence. I can only assume she did not see me until she got a little closer as they are typically wary animals. But I will admit my desire not to carry while sweating my ass off in the yard was seriously called into question today. (And yes, I may need new underwear)

6 Likes

Just read an article yesterday where a large farm said not one American has come to the farm looking for work in the last two years forcing him to hire immigrants.

3 Likes

I always carry, if my pants are on a gun is somewhere on me. I live on a ranch in South Texas, so I generally carry owb unless I’m going into town. If I’m doing dusty work, I’ll carry something without optics, otherwise it’s something with an rds.

3 Likes

I now carry ALWAYS. We have had a serious cougar problem, 7 cougars in the neighborhood and they are getting braver and more aggressive. Maybe because of the drought here in OR. Was taking care of the neighbors goats and chickens last week. Drove home on my ATV and a big cougar ran 25 feet in front of me. FAST! I had my gun in my pocket. Would have done me no good had he attacked me. I ordered a Nice CrossBreed OWB holster with combat contour. Still carrying always, but now much easier to access with the OWB.
Down side is I have to shake the hay, straw, dirt, fertilizer, water etc off the gun. I figure once a week I will need to disassemble and clean it using under these conditions.

4 Likes

Yes, I live in a rural setting.

3 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @John971 and you are in the right place at the right time.

2 Likes

So true!

3 Likes

DEFINITELY!! I carry a Bond Arms Rowdy with snake shot - we have encountered several rattlers on our acreage - fortunately this was one of the good guys…

3 Likes