Desert Rats How Do You Carry During Summer

Do you carry for comfort or concealment?

107° at 9am this morning - not complaining I love the heat, I’m good until 110° once it hits 111° I’m done! Yes that 1° makes a difference, ask any Desert Rat, you’ll get a 1 or 2° difference between bearable and unbearable.

Depending on my choice of the day I usually carry in a Hidden Hybrid double or single clip IWB. For those that don’t know double clip from Hidden Hybrid allows for both IWB/OWB carry. Depending on activity of the day I may carry in my Safariland 578 GLS OWB which causes the gun to stick out a little further from my body, a quick shirt fluff when getting up from seated makes it pretty much unnoticeable to the untrained eye.

A friend commented today that he could make out my setup because of the additional thickness on one side. A deputy friend and another who doesn’t carry didn’t notice anything. Deputy probably because he’s used to seeing the undershirt bulge, the other guy, he’s just clueless.

I’m thinking of Carry this summer in the 578 GLS to cut down on the skin and sweat irritation. How do you other Desert Rats Carry during summer?

1 Like

I’m melting just thinking about that, @BrophE! :hot_face: I was melty in TN two weeks ago when it was 98 degrees.

2 Likes

Oh the heat feels good on the old bones @Dawn

1 Like

And now in the same region, it’s upper 70’s. Don’t like the central Midwest weather, wait 5 minutes. To the OP, I’ve been looking at a Galco King Tuk Air for summer carry. The perforations I think would help with cooling.

2 Likes

I’ll have to check it out.

1 Like

I live in the muggy south. It hits a certain point I go OWB with oversized breathable shirt. Who cares about printing ( most people are clueless) I’m going for comfort.

2 Likes

I’m with ya on cluelessness.

2 Likes

When I started carrying I was nervous about “being caught”. Anymore I carry OWB and could care less. Most people think only of themselves. You gotta be pretty radical to be noticed.

2 Likes

Agreed. Most people are too focused on their phones

3 Likes

East Tennessee “swamp rat” here. Just chill in t-shirts and shorts when I’m not working. I carry the same gun all year iwb.

2 Likes

What holster are you using, @JKetchem?

1 Like

Most days I carry in a Vedder light tuck. Pretty comfortable for a kydex holster. If I have to “dress”, I’ll carry in an alien gear cloak tuck 4.0. It’s softer against the skin with a tucked in shirt.

1 Like

That shirt is big on me, a paintball Jersey with arm and side venting, it’s a heavier shirt but breathes well. Perfect to have an IWB or OWB and be concealed well.

3 Likes