Yard Work and Carrying?

The joys of summer in the midwest, hot summer days, barbeques, and grass and weeds that grow a foot overnight. OK maybe they don’t grow that quickly, but the combination of sun, rain, and heat does help the plants grow quickly early in summer.

When you’re out cutting grass or weeding, do you carry? How do you keep your firearm and holster from getting hot on your body?

15 Likes

I carry IWB when cutting the grass, I wear a tank top tucked into my shorts and a lite t-shirt over that

13 Likes

I carry OWB, sometimes covered sometimes not, I have never had a problem with the neighbors.
If i’m doing yard work I am moving and do not worry about heat, clean and oil things and you wont have to worry about heat and sweat.
If I am laying in the sun I will cover my gun with a towel. :+1:

12 Likes

Um, are you still talking about an actual pistol? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

21 Likes

I use a sock for the other. :smiling_imp: :wink:

12 Likes

I’m glad there can be some humor in here occasionally that isn’t misunderstood. Thx for the laugh this morning.

14 Likes

Pocket carry

11 Likes

Perfect reply :ok_hand: :grin: :socks:

6 Likes

You guys may be able to fool others, but I know what you are talking about. And for the record, I prefer open carry.

20 Likes

Sometimes I carry. Sometimes I don’t.

I’m in my own yard, I can see if a threat is approaching, and I always know where my firearms are located if I need to get one quickly.

5 Likes

I live out in the country. Anytime I am outside doing something, yard work or whatever, I open carry, The gun getting hot on my side has never been a problem. For this I carry my Glock 26 with a 15 round mag. Put an Xgrip on the mag and it fits very good, and gives more handle grip, while still being a small gun with plenty fire power, while in the yard. On days I am stuck in the house, I carry a 380 all day. Just to always be prepared. Once I leave home and I am out and about, then I am carrying my Glock 17 with spare mags.

13 Likes

That’s hilarious! :slight_smile: I needed a good laugh. This is too good.

tenor

11 Likes

Wow… just wow… ya had to go there? :flushed:

:rofl:

11 Likes

I can not tell a lie. :smiling_imp:

7 Likes

Brother Scott I wish I could AIWB carry but I have a lot of burger joints here.

6 Likes

That is called trolling. One must watch out for sunburn. :grimacing:

9 Likes

I hear ya man. I was in the same boat. I actually cut a lot out of my diet and lost 15 lbs so I could more comfortably AIWB now. It’s tough, but the motivation was strong.

7 Likes

First and foremost, I hate weeds! We live on 10 acres, in the country, and the lawn mowing job takes about 6-8 hours. The weed mowing is constant with spraying, etc. Our outdoor range? The fricking weeds need ground sterilant, etc. My mrs is a meticulous mower! So now lets talk about the grey haired, older dude, riding the weed mower. The mrs makes me wear a bush hat, so that my ears, (I wear ear protection) that grow unwanted hairs, don’t get burned again. Sunglasses, that are safety glasses are worn. Always have my sig in an open carry position. Sometimes, while attacking the weeds, I’ll wear an “assault rifle”. Pun intended. We live in a gun friendly country neighborhood, with lots of shooters. Our flag is proudly flown near the county road. I don’t care how hot the job is or gets, but open carry around the property is the norm. Sometimes when the mrs is not watching, I might wear my blue bath robe, and be robe boy for a short time. Com’mon folks, have to give the passerby’s something to talk about. If I am mowing near our range, I will fire off some rounds while moving/mowing. A little extra training is valuable.

Please don’t tell the mrs about the robe frolic…we don’t farm, but I always say “I don’t get off the farm much!”

9 Likes

Yes, mowing the grass and working the garden. I am not worried about the gun being comfortable but I am concerned about my comfort.

6 Likes

That’s why I prefer hybrid holsters. Keeps the gun from touching my skin. I wear it for everything, except swimming.

7 Likes