Yard Work and Carrying?

Depends on the day but I ALWAYS carry while doing lawn work. It will normally be a shoulder rig or owb but always something that is visible. I use to have things go missing from my back yard. Since I started this practice I have no more missing items.

I cant imagine there is any correlation there. What do you think?

Don

6 Likes

I always carry when doing yard work. Usually my EDC, a 1911 in a leather OWB holster. Of course, when it gets to July and August, I will probably carry the Sig P365 and let it dry if it gets wet. Or get a kydex holster just for working in the heat.

7 Likes

I just bought a nylon belt/ thigh tie down holster with restraining clips to keep gun in holster. Used it today while we worked on yard. Was tired of slipping and worrying of an ND from Glock coming out of Holster.

It was a bit hotter than my CC Kydex but alot safer and it let me carry alot more gun than I normally CC. We are an open carry state so it’s not against the law. My neighborhood probably 70% + law enforcement so there were no fainting spells or SWAT teams called.

9 Likes

Yes I carry, usually OWB but sometimes Appendix. Usually covered, but not always.
I also make sure that the house is locked, and the garage is closed if I am out back.

8 Likes

Carry, open.

You never know what you might come up on… am in a rural area and there are bears, though they tend to run when you get too close, as well as wild or aggressive dogs.

7 Likes

I OC when on my own property. Unless - I’m shredding grass or something else super dusty. Then, I cover up so I don’t have to do any cleaning.

5 Likes

Yard work was sort of my CC testing lab while I was waiting for my permit to arrive after I took the IL CC class. Warm weather yard work made me appreciate the hybrid holsters (Desantis Invader) with the breathable body pad vs leather.

4 Likes

No I don’t! Partly because I sweat so much that it’s easier not to. I also live in a pretty good neighborhood!!

3 Likes

I carry IWB, always. On windy days, I tuck the shirt under the holster clip.

3 Likes

Never used to, always carried a knife when doing lawn, also extremely hot summers. But now since we’re defunding law enforcement I think I will pocket carry wife’s .380

7 Likes

Better make sure wife gives you permission.

5 Likes

@Scott52

Hey that’s how I look to.

35 years ago. When I was dreaming.

5 Likes

I’m just lucky, this is how she sees me when I’m mowing the lawn.
Ain’t love grand.

5 Likes

Galco Fletch for an S&W J 357 4:30 on the waist belt.
Dogs, raccons, cats, angry squirrels, insane caterpillars, silverbugs… termites!

5 Likes

Carry all day everyday. Yard work, shop, bicycling, Pickleball - in pocket, IWB. Sometimes it’s hot but doesn’t matter.

6 Likes

OWB, if doing yard work with a saw or trimmer, shirt over the top so to keep carry clean.

5 Likes

My Crossbread OWB is good for outside work. It has a kydex pocket for the weapon rivited to a leather belt loop and sweat shield. It is called the Belt Slider holster. Mine has the combat cut on the leather backer. All that means is that the leather is shorter where the grip is. It is taller behind the pistol frame. It does a great job protecting the weapon from sweat. With this holster. I carry around the 3:30 position.

6 Likes

At my age I need to wear a back brace when doing anything like real work so my waist area is already covered. Adding a holster makes no noticable difference. Old age isn’t ALL bad.

5 Likes

If I’m wearing pants I’m carrying. If I’m at home I carry OWB with a shirt covering it because it’s more comfortable. If I go out then I carry IWB and go for a deeper concealment. NH is a Constitutional Carry state so open carry is perfectly legal, but why flaunt it.

6 Likes

That’s a great point to consider as well, @Fizbin!

4 Likes