Yard Work and Carrying?

I agree with you. A person must do what he/she needs to do. Someone that carries his fire arm in the house may have had a bad experience before. He/she does not intend to let it happen again.

2 Likes

I usually always have/had a firearm within a short distance from where I am working, usually on the ATV. That ended a few weeks ago when we had 5 separate cougars within a 2 mile radius… now I carry on my person, and so do all the neighbors! This big 130 pound male came running out of the neighbors barn as he approached it after killing a couple of his pet cats. Another neighbor had 2 big cougars at the same time attacking one of his sheep. A friend about 10 miles away was going to go to the grocery store and ended up in a stare down with a big cat sitting behind his car right in the driveway in front of his house. He wont go outside anymore unless armed.

6 Likes

I have some recipes for that!

2 Likes

Yeh! Plenty of time to let it marinate while cleaning all the poop out of your shorts!

4 Likes

Holy Cow!!!

I’ve only had stare downs with bulls, Buffalo and dogs.

2 Likes

The easiest way to get around that is don’t ware shorts. HaHa

3 Likes

Yes get you a sexy guard on the back of it.

2 Likes

I am on my 2nd 5yr carry permit. Why would I go through the hassle & expense of obtaining & maintaining that & not carry? Since in-person school for my daughter was canceled over a year ago I have been unarmed (further than arms reach from a loaded weapon) 3 times. Twice for appt’s at the VA before those went virtual, & 2 days ago when I was on a plane. Open when feasible, concealed when required. My bosses & coworkers all know & accept it.
Although I have been getting more jobs in rough neighborhoods since I told them… Better me than some of the new guys though.

3 Likes

I was carrying doing yard work the other day. I mean, come on. If I can’t carry my .45, while lugging 50lb bags of rock, should I even be carrying, 50lb bags of rock?

7 Likes

Door was opened…they stepped thru… :rofl:

2 Likes

I usually carry concealed most of the time while doing yard work out car work.

4 Likes

check out keepers concealment, I carry AIWB, and I have eaten a lot of burgers. Like Scott mentioned below, I too lost 20 lbs to help out with it as I didn’t want bigger pants. Spencer Keeper is a very large man and uses AIWB.

4 Likes

Thanks for the heads up on Keepers Concealment. After checking them out, I just placed an order. Hoping this is the answer for aiwb I’ve been looking for.

3 Likes

No problem, I wear mine all the time, Sometimes have to adjust a little when sitting, but most of the time I barely know it’s there.

5 Likes

A bit off topic but many years ago… 45 maybe(?), I lived in fL and was just getting into serious shooting. I had a friend/mentor who insisted that after a range visit we sit on his front porch and clean our guns as people drove by. NEVER an issue but always made me nervous and questioned the motive but did indeed make me smile.

5 Likes

Same. I carry concealed inside and outside no matter what.

4 Likes

I use a 38 revolver in an elastic bellyband holster. I put the revolver inside an old style, folding sandwich bag with the long flap of the bag facing my body. the The grip of the revolver is only covered by the the sandwich bag on one side. The elastic bellyband will keep the gun secure and does not restrict your movements when bending over while working. Most belly bands have a magazine slot where your CHL and a speed strip will fit. Just put your CHL next to your body to keep sweat off the ammo. When you are through working in the yard or exercising, just throw the sandwich bag away and toss the belly band in the washer and hang to dry.

3 Likes

I am the exact same way. It feels so comfortable that I sometimes forget that I have it on me. I tried to pocket carry once, but after about 5 minutes, I had to go get my IWB holster.

5 Likes

Doing some yard work at my parents’ house the other day when I noticed someone walking down the sidewalk. I immediately noticed that he had something in his right hand as he was swinging his arms while walking and I could have sworn that it was an AK. I kept my eye on him and he didn’t seem to be aware of me or respond in any way. When he got to the corner, he turned and walked down the cross street so I walked over to get a better look at what he was carrying. As I walked around a tree it indeed was an AK. With an orange tip.

He didn’t have the weapon shouldered, he didn’t seem agitated, nor did he seem aware of my presence, I considered him a threat, but not one that required me to draw and engage. While it turned out he wasn’t a threat, things could have turned out badly for both or either of us if he had been behaving differently.

Carrying while doing yard work seems like a good idea to me, but situational awareness and being able to quickly size up the situation are also important.

7 Likes

I’ve finally given up and hired someone to mow my acreage. I’m pretty sure that he is not carrying- he’s 14.

6 Likes