Would a cable lock damage my revolver's cylinder? Looking for advice

Hi revolver guys and gals.

Our family has a cable lock for one of our revolvers like the one in the photo copied below. We also have a trigger lock that goes directly onto the trigger, but for another revolver.

But I was wondering, if we use the “cable” version, and have that “cylinder open” like that in storage for a very long time, do we know if having the cylinder open like that, would eventually damage or bend the action or smooth closing and smooth turning of the cylinder? Making it crooked or misaligned over time?

I thought it would not get damaged being open like that for a long time, because it’s a strong heavy metal. I feel silly asking.

But what say you? Thanks!

3 Likes
5 Likes

Never run cables thought the barrel.
Cable lock goes via cylinder (revolver) or grip (pistol)

I saw one guy storing revolvers with cylinder being completely out of the gun with cable lock going through it.

7 Likes

Personally, I’d be more be more inclined to store the revolvers, cylinder closed, locked in a safe. I think it’s a valid question. I know on Smith revolvers, the crane is hand fitted to the frame, with very tight tolerances. They’re not interchangable- a damaged crane can junk the gun.

Storing it with the cylinder open, unless it’s somewhere it can’t possibly get bumped or dropped, seems like it’s asking for accidental damage.

3 Likes

I don’t have experience storing revolvers with cable locks but this is what came to my mind as the one potential issue. The cylinder and other connected parts would be more susceptible to damage when open. Though I think it would take a drop of the revolver or good hit from something else being dropped on it to cause damage. Or maybe something heavy being laid on top of it for a period of time.

I would consider a safe a much better option for storage. Even one of the cheap little single handgun vault safes would be safer for the handgun, more secure from unwanted access and quicker and easier for the owner to access if they needed to use it to defend themselves.

You can get a cheap manual combo dial or key locked one for under $20 or a nicer quick access electronic one for $50 - $100. They are worth the investment.

4 Likes

I have a very large bag of various firearms locks that have NEVER been used if anyone wants them. I have never found a use for them.

5 Likes

Stressing the cylinder crane offers the most likely opportunity for damaging a revolver, IMHO.
So long as the lock doesn’t stress the crane, I wouldn’t be too concerned about it.

1 Like

I think they are better than nothing for keeping young children from getting into trouble if they find the firearm while investigating drawers or closets. They might also help some owners comply with State, local and federal transportation requirements when heading to the range.

Though I feel there are far more convenient and effective options for both of the above purposes.

I have a drawer full of never used ones.

I have a drawer full of cable locks and do not use any of them. Losing the key or finding the right key is a big risk at my house.

I suggest investing in a safe(s) for storage of all firearms. If your revolver(s) is open to children or irresponsible/unstable adults, consider removing the cylinder and storing it away from the revolver(s) frame.

I never use those cable locks.

I put the guns in safes when I need to secure them (basically every time they aren’t on my person or in a locked workroom behind the locked door)

I can see some use cases for cable locks for those who don’t have and can’t afford a safe? Mostly I see it as an extra expense for firearms manufacturers that just makes it more expensive for all the guns we buy.

Last I checked, a lot of police departments give them away for free and I’ll bet almost any FFL will give one if asked…personally not a fan of that legal requirement to have them with new guns

2 Likes

I used something like this when I had my Ruger LCRx

In free states, most likely.
In California, you would need to buy it within a certain time in close proximity to 10-day gun purgatory period.
After paying, turn around and return for a refund.

1 Like

Thank you all.

I don’t use trigger locks or cable locks. I double check that my guns are unloaded & put them in my gun safe. I do lock my gun if I am visiting family out of town etc…I use a biometric single pistol safe

3 Likes

Still…my offer applies. If anyone wants some let me know. No young children in our home and even when they were very young they knew how to handle a firearm and what do do if they came across one. No restrictions in this state for transporting either. Even our county sheriff has stated that if you have someone forcibly enter your home, shoot them, A LOT. Then call us and we will finish up what we are doing then head that way.

1 Like

Stored in a locked safe or the cylinder stored separate from the chassis are good options. If you decide to use a cable lock you should bear in mind that however clever you are about hiding the keys or where you write down the combination, kids will find them (clever little rascals - hey, that would make a great TV show!!!). If you go with the cable make sure it is vinyl coated so as to protect the finish on your revolver.

2 Likes

My pop was a reserve police officer in the 50’s.
His training officer counselled cops with kids to use their handcuffs as gun locks, with one bracelet inserted behind the trigger IIRC.

2 Likes