De-Cocking a Revolver

Let me first say I do not own a revolver, nor do I have much experience with them.

I just read the article in the October Concealed Carry Magazine about how to de-cock a revolver. It went into great detail about how far to let the hammer drop prior to releasing the trigger to ensure the hammer did not strike the firing pin and accidently fire the weapon.

My question is why not just open the cylinder/wheel so there is zero chance of the firing pin hitting a “live” round? It just seems like it would be more fool-proof than risking a thumb slip while lowering the hammer on a live round. Then you could close the loaded wheel back into place.

Again, I do not own a revolver, or I would experiment with this myself. Maybe you can’t release a cocked hammer with the wheel open?

2 Likes

I don’t read CC Magazine, so cannot refer to it, but revolvers have a internal mechanism which blocks the hammer and prevents it to hit firing pin, once you release it proper way.

There is no need to open the cylinder then.

2 Likes

I have a old CZ 24 .380 auto. it’s interesting to de-cock to say the least(rounded hammer). However, to the OP. It would really be a disaster of a misfire if you could move the cylinder out of alignment while cocked. Having it fire with the bullet not having a clear path out… Too be honest I’ve never really worried about a ‘slip’. Most all my revolvers have fairly large hammers and the contour makes a slip unlikely. Then there is the fact that it’s pretty rare that I bring a loaded revolver to full cock and not fire it. This include my single action revolvers. When I do I just make sure my muzzle control is what it should be. My wife carries a LCRx and even with its partial exposed hammer she has no problem with a de-cock. We have practiced with it because she likes her first shot to be single action. Note: I do own some revolvers that do not have transfer bar systems, including a old Ruger Blackhawk .357 that was never returned for upgrade.

4 Likes

On my S&W, you can’t open the cylinder if the hammer is cocked. I assume it’s is the same on other revolvers. The cylinder stop is up during this time.

6 Likes

Nope, you can not de-cock with the cylinder open.
Opening the cylinder while cocked is not an option.

6 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, it makes sense now :+1:

1 Like

Yes, the diminishing art of the revolver. I have had an ongoing love of the wheelgun since my first purchase…S&W mod 28. So first Scotty is correct no modern revolver and all but a few old revolvers can open their cylinder once the hammer is cocked in single action .
There have been many pages written and more than a argument or two over how to safely operate a revolver. Now without going into a long history and tutorial on revolvers the bottom line is. There is always a risk attached to lowering a hammer on a live round. Several mechanisms have been made to limit the risk, blocks, half cock notches, etc. But I was taught if you do choose to shoot a revolver in single action mode and must then not shoot and be forced to make the gun safe one should then be responsible to control the hammer with a thumb or finger to easy the hammer down while pulling the trigger all this while being ultra safe…gun pointed in a safe direction, full control of hammer. So my mentor said for a double action / single action revolver only shoot in single action when needed (for accuracy…target or hunting). Do not pull the hammer back till you know absolutely you are going to fire, “period”. Bottom line using any weapon/tool that can cause injury one incurs a great deal of RESPONSIBILITY.

7 Likes

I’ll just stick to automatic.

1 Like

Yeah. No confusion with cylinder :wink:

1 Like

Aren’t some revolvers double action only revolvers?

1 Like

yes, there are DAO revolvers. But decocking procedure is the same for all types.

1 Like

By dao does this mean no cocking the hammer just pulling the trigger & it vocks & fires. Yes?

3 Likes

@David-65 - you are 100% correct. My mistake… in DAO revolver, the hammer cannot be locked to the rear. No way to decock :point_up:
I messed it up with DA…

2 Likes

Yes. D.A.O. means just that. Some are made that way and some can be made by cutting and filing off the hammer spur.

This one can be de-cocked.

Some if you start to pull the trigger but do not fire it you will have to ease the hammer down with the trigger. You do not see these much as most were home made. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I would like to get my mother a DAO revolver one day. She has a history of revolvers, but I don’t want it to be complicated with decocking.

2 Likes