With all the protesting

I stay far away from the protests. My son did no Door Dash on Sunday because he wanted to remain safe just in case.

6 Likes

As long as you are on it. No problems. :+1:

2 Likes

With bad folks gathering in small locations and unarmed when it is illegal to carry arms, maybe the good guys could just use the Pincer Movement (tongue in cheek, of course).

1 Like

And in many states it’s illegal to fire from a vehicle. So, in a self-defense situation, does preserving your life by shooting an assailant coming at you from your car window now put you in violation of the law? I don’t think the protesters will kindly wait for me to climb out of my car to engage. Also, if you’re on the street and multiple protesters run at you without actual weapons in hand, do you assume that you are in fear of your life and are justified in shooting them?

1 Like

This has to be a trick question. Beating from multiple angry assailants, hmm… put you in a wheelchair for life? in the grave?

1 Like

Let’s back this up a few steps and go through some options.

Knowing what’s happening in the world today and the numerous news resources we have (social media updates, police scanner apps easily available on most phones, other media sources), we should have a pretty good idea about areas to avoid and when to avoid them.

That being said, flash mobs and other unannounced protests can happen. If we see anything that makes us question what might be happening down the road, it’s time to take a different route home. Our situational awareness can definitely keep us from being in a bad situation - most of the time.

If you find yourself in a spot where people are charging your car, can you drive away? And don’t forget about backing up to get out of the situation or turning toward the path of least resistance.

Your gun is not your only tool in your self-defense toolkit. Be sure to think about other ways to get out of the situation.

Check out this thread for more ideas:

8 Likes

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

8 Likes

Possibly the main reason people were searching for Mr. Floyd’ criminal record was because he was an African-Americn and the officer was white. People “assumed” things as usual because of ones color and we all know what happens when people assume. This is not a color/race issue, it is pure stupidity on the officers involved! Arrest the subject place him in the cruiser. In this case something occured that made it different, then you sit him up and wait for EMS…if that had been done Mr. Floyd would be alive right now and we would not have to discuss this. Having worked in public safety (part time FF/EMT and 911 dispatcher) I still have a lot of friends in LE who are on the front lines of this. COVID 19 is out the door for some, they will regret it later possibly, who knows. Meanwhile I am locked and loaded in Ohio!!

1 Like

Please remember the USCCA Online Community is a place to discuss how to best protect ourselves and our loved ones.

Avoiding areas where there are supposed to be protests is a good start to staying safe. If you’d like to protest or find yourself in a crowd of protests, there are numerous things you can do to stay safe. You can see Kevin Michalowski’s suggestions here: USCCA on Instagram: "Talk about what to do in a riot. Avoid it. Stay safe"

4 Likes

Wasn’t Minneapolis PD in the center of another scandal a few years back. Australian woman trying to get away from a rapist was shot and killed by a Minneapolis police officer. Google it. The PD has a problem, in fact, all leadership up to the Governor needs to be replaced.

1 Like

We’re getting off topic here. Please bring it back to the topic of how to protect yourself and your loved ones or this thread will be closed.

7 Likes

Exactly!!!

I drove through Milwaukee, Chicago, and Columbus yesterday. Avoided riots in all 3 cities.
Very thankful I’m blessed enough to live outside the city. Had the scanner on for each city. Chicago was the scary one.
IF you don’t have a scanner app on your phone, get one.

7 Likes

@Aaron25 Can you recommend a good one? I tried in the past but they were all quite disappointing.

3 Likes

I just downloaded “5-0 Radio” for my iPhone. It has a large user base, excellent reviews and works well for me here in South Hillsborough County, FL (just outside of Tampa).

4 Likes

Agree 100%, just remember there is a differen e between defense of family,self and people vs defense of property.

6 Likes

I’m going to look into “5-0 Radio” as OldGnome recommends, any others anyone recommends? I’d buy a physical scanner, but just bought some backpack armor (For the kids. Hardwire makes ballistic clipboards, so they shouldn’t attract notice!) and a plate carrier and armor for home, so that’s it for the discretionary income this month.

2 Likes

Not sure that has anything to do with any coroner’s report. I am not defending the actions of the officer, or officers… and after a certain point it became obvious that the person was in distress………

But again, we do not have all the information and now we have two reports from both the official coroner and the family paid coroner and they do not meet eye to eye.

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and looks like a duck… hmmm

But if it is evidence and information, perhaps waiting for all information would be beneficial, after all, that duck might be someone in a costume.

1 Like

I just downloaded “Scanner Radio” the other day. Seems to work OK. (Not an endorsement, just one I’m trying.)

6 Likes

I can get Fire Department, but police channels here and in the surrounding counties are now all encrypted so that criminals can’t stay up to date. And this is why we can’t have nice things.

7 Likes