WI permit holder looking to get MN license

Took my WI multi-state and now looking to get a license in MN when we go to see our daughter in St. Paul in a few weeks. The class advised applying at the Houston county sheriffs office in La Crescent MN but a friend said he got his at the Winona county sheriffs office just to the north. Anyone have information on if either of these counties are more WI friendly than the other?

1 Like

@AJ09. AJ are you sure that Wisconsin and Minnesota doesn’t already have reciprocity already? I’m here in Illinois and Minnesota and Illinois are reciprocal. Look on the USCCA Website at the map it will tell you what’s shakin’
Also you can call Customer Service at USCCA they will tell you, or leave a message for Dawn, but it’s on your App

1 Like

MN is shall issue even to out of state. Each county can set their own fees though so look at what is closest to you and the cheapest. Pre fill out the form ahead of time since it is the same form for the whole state. Dakota County was less than 14 days when I got mine there

1 Like

In the class they specifically stated that WI and MN are not reciprocal but thanks for asking. Surprising that IL & MN are reciprocal as both seem to have pretty restrictive laws.

4 Likes

Wow! I’m sorry AJ, I know you will work through this

1 Like

WI has no rececprosity because you do not need refreshers. Just prove you took a valid class at some point and get your license online.

2 Likes

@BJP Wow!! Ok I understand more now. Thank you and good to learn more always.

1 Like

Just got back from visiting the daughter in St. Paul and stopped in at the Winona county sheriffs office to drop my permit application. Winona charges $100. Not sure what other counties charge but was more concerned about the SO being ‘WI friendly’, which I heard Winona was. Was also a very nice town. They said they had 30 days to respond but my friend said he got his back in 8-10 days. If they are truly a ‘shall issue’ state it shouldn’t be long now. Next up will be Florida.

2 Likes

Keep us updated, I’d love to be able
To carry in MN!

2 Likes