Why Hate on PCCs?

Only thing there is have to get the tax stamp, it is a long and expensive process which most likely will get more pricey and even longer after January 19th.

The biggest deterrent of going the SBR route would be the transporting it. The laws can get overwhelming depending how far you plan on going.

I travel across state lines all the time. I went AR pistol for ease of transport and I was already 90% of the way there to having one. If I wasn’t already in the AR world a PCC would be a great option for having something more then just a pistol in the truck.

3 Likes

Sheepdog is correct, SBR doesn’t leave your home state unless you have the ATF blessing (request to travel/transport). Legally that is. So the pistol/brace makes sense in that respect. With fear looming of a ban on braces and other ridiculousness now is a real good time to make that purchase or decision. PCC is loads of fun in IPSC/USPSA competition if you need an extra excuse to buy one.

2 Likes

A Keltec SU-16b in .223 weighs 4.5lbs folds about as small as a Sub2000 and with a red dot from a prone or braced position can hit out to 200 yards fairly easy with some decent punch. Having said all that, a short barrel PCC for home defense and occasional situations out to 100 yards seems like a very good choice to me. Especially for those without a suppressor to protect their hearing.

2 Likes

0k so I was thinking 200 bucks for the stamp, some paper work & a long info check. Is that incorrect?

2 Likes

Yes it is 200 bucks but you can wait up to a year for the approval,process.

2 Likes

In addition to that it is my understanding you cannot legally be in possession of it until you receive the tax approval. This article spells it out pretty well: How to (Legally) Build A Short Barrel Rifle - GunsAmerica Digest

3 Likes

Actually the wait times for SBR manufacture is quite short when compared to suppressor/can transfer. I think my last form 1 applied in Feb. was about 4wks total so not horrible. Wait times may be longer with the new admin. so YMMV. Get your lower, get it engraved, file the paperwork and wait. Do not assemble! When approved, assemble and go.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response

1 Like

PCC’s have there place.
The summer before last a couple of coworkers came out to the house for a little target practice. I have a little range in a pit out behind the house. Besides there pistols there were several PCC’s. I will include my Winchester 73 357/38 lever action as one of them. They had a Thompson 45ACP semiautomatic, a Hi Point, not sure of the other brand… For fun we set bottles of water at 10 feet 20 feet out to 25 yards. One person firing there pistol the other a PCC. The PCC won every match up. Even the lever action.
Just a little food for thought.

3 Likes

Not to beat a dead horse but I ran across something. I have a Foxtrot AR9 and it feeds FMJ pretty well but Federal HST (Foxtrot Mike recommended) not so much. To the point where I de-staged it has my primary home defense gun until so can figure things out. Has anybody else run into this issue?

I don’t have direct experience, but from things I’ve seen elsewhere… Usually problems arise from franken-builds, but from fully assembled (like from Foxtrot) it’s usually fine. And Foxtrot has a pretty good rep AFAIK.

What type of error in feeding? Doesn’t make it up the ramp? Double feeds? Any pics of the malfunction.

First thing to test is the mags. Are these glock 9mm mags? Hopefully you can narrow the problem down to this by trying with other mags.

If HSTs are recommended by Foxtrot, and you can’t easily solve the issue I would definitely reach out to them for help.

1 Like

I did email them last night to see because I’m quite frustrated. I didn’t take a picture but I’ll keep my camera handy next time. No, the rounds don’t even make it up the feeding ramp. It just get jammed coming out of the mag below the bore. Then of course the copper on the bullet is smashed down into the cartridge and I’m assuming the bullet should no longer be used at that point. Then when I run the charging handle to try and eject it, I’ve gotten some double feeds. I don’t have this issue with FMJ’s, they tend to feed better. Which I have no need for a “plinker” so this firearm is useless if there’s no resolution from FM.

1 Like

Well, that sucks. Hopefully Foxtrot can help you out. Definitely try with different mags. Have a look inside and make sure the feedramp is clear (sometimes a sharp burr can prevent feeding and you can file yourself), the extractor looks right, etc. Might be something obvious.

1 Like

Even if you dont have a picture of the failure, how about a picture of the chamber/feed ramp/top of mag to see what we can see. It honestly sounds like a magazine issue, where the mag is sitting low or perhaps the spring is weak and there is not enough dwell time to allow the round to come all the way up. Another possibility is I am not familiar with FM products, so you will have to forgive me. What is the configuration of the magazine well? Is the lower purposely built for the 9mm mag or is there some sort of adapter in the mag well to accept the pistol mag? If so, is that adapter installed properly and tightly? The other thing can be as mentioned above, is the feed ramp smooth?

2 Likes

Here’s what FM replied with today, “HST runs great for us, generally we see this one a gun is not well oiled and the gun is not fully broken in. Can you spray oil on the bolt, inside the upper and buffer tube? Do that and load the mag half full, if it runs, that will tell us a lot.”

The only thing I can think is that I haven’t released the buffer tube and spring. So I took down the gun and cleaned the BCG, upper, and the buffer tube and spring. I put a lighter layer of oil on this time too. Aside from that, I only have about 500 rounds through it so maybe it’s not fully broken in yet.

My five Glock OEM mags are all brand new. It’s possible for one or two to be defective but not likely all five. Here’s a couple pictures I took.

1 Like

Looks like a good run to the chamber. Extractor may be the culprit. Pull the bolt and see if the extractor is in good shape and will pick up the head of the cartridge. Maybe a spur or just something stuck in it. Guessing here but worth a look.

3 Likes

On the positive side, they got back to you pretty quick :+1:

I’m trying to read between the lines on their response. I’m guessing if they are blaming lack of lube, not broken in, and not having full spring tension on the mag… that the bolt may be traveling a little too slow when snatching the round off of the top of the magazine and doesn’t have the momentum to push it into the feed ramp/chamber properly. I’m not convinced that’s the issue, but it’s certainly plausible… Give it a shot as they ask.

If it helps, then it should get better over time as parts wear in (at 500rnds you are probably nearing that point anyway). And/or maybe it just needs a bit more lube, or perhaps just a bit more in certain spots. On a regular AR the focus is healthy lubrication where the rails on the bolt come in contact with the upper, I’m guessing this 9mm bolt may be similar.

If it doesn’t help, that may point to another issue and then maybe it has to go back to Foxtrot for service. It sucks, but these things do happen.

1 Like

Yeah, them and Primary Arms (where I bought it from) have always been responsive to questions, so no complaints there. I was surprised about the buffer tube but I’m far from an expert so I’ll do it, already did it today. I’ll load the mags like they suggest and see how it goes. When I initially read their manual they said the gun likes to run wet, so I lubed that BCG pretty good but maybe I actually over-lubed it. We’ll see how it goes.

Edit: When it comes to AR maintenance I read and hear different things. Friends have said that you can’t over-lube it, yet I’ve read to the contrary. Foxtrot Mike says the gun likes to run wet but the guy from Ruger that filmed the cleaning video for my AR just put some oil on a rag and rubbed it across the BCG parts so the oil is very light.

1 Like

You are right, everyone has their opinion on AR lubrication. I think there is a thread or two on here about it. Google for “ar15 lubrication points” and you will see images from official military manuals on where and how much to lubricate. Mr Guns N Gear has a great video on it.

My $0.02, and I am faaaaaar from an expert on this… If you just bathe it in oil, all of that oil just flies out in a spray on the first few shots. It just makes a mess. It will run just fine though. For an AR15 if you have to choose whether to over or under lube… err on the side of over lubing it.

Dry | Clean = Runs
Dry | Dirty = Jams
Wet | Clean = Runs
Wet | Dirty = Runs

My opinion on it is you keep a thin layer of oil on everything just for rust-proofing over time. The main thing that needs lubrication is where parts are in contact with each other such as the rails on the bolt that touch the upper, cam pin, bolt lugs, etc. And in the gas rings is important too. I have taken to using grease (slightly thicker than just oil) on the rails only and it’s worked well so far.

3 Likes