Why Hate on PCCs?

Thanks for sharing that. My first firearm was a pistol and when I searched for how to clean that make & model, his was the first video I got. I didn’t think to go back through his playlists for AR’s. I guess I shouldn’t worry about getting too much lube on the BCG then. The amount of opinions vary so much on this topic it’s kind of crazy.

1 Like

AR’s will run with either a thin coat or dripping wet. I know guys that run them both ways. That said, I typically run mine with a thin coat, not dripping. The exception is that when an AR is new, it is better to over-lube as the rifle breaks in. And yes, don’t forget the buffer tube to get a lite coat.

Also, may I ask what lube you are using? The reason is that not all lubes are the same. As a disclaimer, I think people make too much over what lube they use, etc., because I hate to tell most people, but firearms are not terribly hard on lubricants. But during the break-in, particularly if you are running it dripping, you want to make sure you are using a lube that stands up to the heat and stays slick and doesnt get tacky or burn off. You also want to make sure that you are using a lube that stays put and doesnt run from the application site, especially as the rifle gets warm/hot.

2 Likes

For just that sort of break-in, I use Mil-Tech 1, which works best when heated so it better bonds with the steel. Great post @Brian139

1 Like

A friend of mine recommended this to me. I never really questioned it but other suggestions are also welcome.

1 Like

I have never used it, but I have seen the advertisements. That has some lubrication in it, but it is more of a CPL product. CPL stands for clean, protect, lube, so it is a bit of a do all product. I am sure it does well, but maybe for break-in at least, try a dedicated lube product. I have been happy with the Lucas gun oil (red stuff, not the Lucas CPL). But try something that is a dedicated lube, not an all in one product, at least till it is running well.

3 Likes

I use shooter lube and have been very happy with it. There are separate cleaner/solvents and oil so it is not quite like CPL. The best part of it is that for those who do not like the solvent smell (or who have a wife like mine who detests the smell) Shooter Lube has virtually no smell at all.
It cleans extremely well, better than Hoppes IMO. But you lose the fragrance!

3 Likes

@Scoutbob

I was never a fan of the Ruger Charger in .22LR and on the fence regarding Ruger’s PCC.
But, the Charger in 9mm, I’ll buy in a heartbeat if only it’s legal in CA.

3 Likes

I hope they approve it. The thing is a blast to shoot.

2 Likes

I handled one one up a few months back. It’s normal price range is $600 and this one was used for over $700. Would have seriously considered picking it up had it been cheaper.

Wish a decent pcc would come out and take M&P mags.

(I’m really bad of using picked up to mean literally held it and picked up and bought it interchangeable).

3 Likes

I like my PCC, besides range time, they are great at training new gun owners…

2 Likes

Really like my Ruger PC9. Put a decent red dot on it and have real confidence in it. I got it as a <100 yard gun, and it works well for that.

4 Likes

@Harvey and everybody else that was giving me constructive feedback.

I finally made it to the range, I swear if it’s not one thing it’s another. I fired 180 rounds of my Federal HST 124, which is the defensive round I chose for my EDC pistol. For my 9mm Foxtrot Mike AR I have five mags, three 24 round and two 33 rounds Glock OEM mags. Of the 180 rounds I had at least 8 malfunctions, all failure to feed; I did stop counting after a while. Per Foxtrot Mike’s service recommendation, the magazines were not fully loaded and left them all short (4 rounds for the 24 rounders and 5 rounds for the 33 rounders). Each mag I loaded I double checked to make sure it was seeded correctly.

What was interesting is that 100% of the malfunctions were the 33 round mags, the 24 round mags fed perfectly. The first 33 round mag had 5 malfunctions. Then the second mag just had malfunction after malfunction. I’d shoot, failure to feed, pop the mag and a couple times popping the mag would get the round to feed and shoot but the follow-up round would jam too. After a few malfunctions with 33 round mag #2, I stopped counting and just stopped and unloaded the magazine, no reason to waste more HP’s then I already had. The 24 round mags had no malfunctions.

I feel pretty good about the 24 rounds mags being good, though my gut tells me to go back and shoot another 100 rounds. But damn, HST is expensive these days. Thanks again for all the feedback folks.

3 Likes

Man, that’s weird. The 33rounders are usually really solid. Were the failures early in the mag (I assume yes) or towards the end of the mag.

You are totally right on HST prices, $1.60 is the cheapest I’ve seen and thats if you can even find stock.

Make sure you pass all that info to Foxtrot. they may be able to make more sense of it :+1:

2 Likes

The first 33 rounder went a few shots before it started jamming and I was able to finish the mag. The second one started on round two and just kept jamming from there. Yes, I will definitely forward my results to FM.

1 Like

I just read your post and I might have a solution. Have you tried ets mags ? I was filling them up to capacity and they were having malfunctions, but when I limited them to 27 rds the problem disappeared. As far as PCC’s being hated ? Blame westerns . How many Black and White westerns did the good and bad guy have the pistol and rifle chambered in the same caliber. And to answer Clint, in PC language, If trouble is headed my way, I’ll start at distance with the 6.5 ceed, then switch to the 556 go to the 300 from there, as they move up and them I’ve got 20-30 glock mags, half are 30rd + that I can load and shoot though every PCC , 19 or 17. I own and with my wife that’s more than 6 guns using the same mags and bullets. I might not win but I’ll hold my own.

2 Likes

I haven’t tried anything other than the OEM mags. FM only recommends Glock OEM or Magpul and won’t support problems involving other brands of magazines.

1 Like

I would also add, weapon zero is less complicated with these PCCs. When using an AR for close range or home defense, your using a weapon designed for up to 300 yards. PCC might be 100. It’s less complicated.

3 Likes

That is true. I downloaded an app that shows the trajectory at different ranges based on your weapon, ammo, and zero. I punched in ,25, 36, and 59 yard zeros and the change in trajectory is all very similar up to 100 yards. At 100 yards your dealing with approximately a 6" hold over though. I imagine if you find yourself in that situation you’re probably reaching for a true rifle caliber anyway.

2 Likes

I have one FM upper on PSA lower and a FM lower with a Bear Creek lower, they both work with any mag except promag I even use the Korean ones that cost 14.00.

1 Like

Nice. Is your FM upper a direct blowback? Does it have loading ramps?

1 Like