What are the community's (including the official USCCA) thoughts on the AR15 pistol?

I ordered and will be building an AR15 pistol from a kit. First time builder but with experienced friends and a licensed armorer for help, I think I can be successful. I was wondering what the community thought of the AR pistol and if USCCA had an official position on the subject. Please take a look at this link from a gun company (Thunder Tactical) that sells assembled firearms, parts, and kits. In no way am I promoting or endorsing this company. As a matter of fact, the kit I ordered is NOT from this company. While shopping for kits among many other firearms companies, this was the only one that broached the subject of why anyone would get an AR pistol. I found the subject interesting and hope that the community does as well. https://thundertactical.com/ar-15-pistol-kits-why-bother/

2 Likes

It’s a pistol. If you like the platform, and it meets your state’s legal issues, who cares? I am sure there are some here that like it, too. I have no experience with it, I prefer .45 ACP.

5 Likes

I do not understand the point of putting a rifle caliber into a short barrel with all the loss of velocity, increased muzzle blast and fireball. Now putting a pistol caliber into a carbine with all the gain I can agree. :+1:
And with all the attendant problems with SBRs or Pistol Braces used for shoulder stocks. :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

I’m a fan of classic 1911 and AR-15 designs.

I would love to have an AR-15 pistol after the elections when everything goes back to normal.
Going to LGS with social distancing protocols takes away the fun in looking for a new gun.

3 Likes

Well as a matter of fact brother I’m saving up for one now and I will purchase it within the next few months. I was looking at the M&P Sport II. Right now it’s one of the most inexpensive ones but it’s quality. Well we shall see. I have never owned an AR15 so it would be my first. I intend to build one once I gain a bit more experience with it. Be blessed brother.

2 Likes

I can not see any benefit of an AR pistol other than a range toy. While I don’t give a hoot as to what you want as a weapon, it would be a hard sale to convince me of any benefit.

1 Like

For me, I carry a Daniels Defense AR-15 DDM4 in .300 Blackout. It’s my “The fecal matter has hit the impellor blade” get home gun. I drive a 2 seater convertible, so it’s compact enough for my car and gives me more firepower and range than my Glock 30.

I hope and pray I never need to use it for it’s intended purpose.

Every gun I have has a role in my preparedness plan, or it’s a competition gun. I don’t spree buy guns, if it fills a need I will get it, but I won’t get one just to get one.

3 Likes

What if you get attacked by multiple attackers your going to need more rounds to take care of business. With an AR15 you can take care of business without having to reload quicker. Well thats just the way I feel. You have to be ready for anything especially with all these protests and demonstrations going on you need to protect yourself. And as far as I am concerned my life is as important as anyone else’s.

2 Likes

That’s an awesome pistol brother and I’m sure that will get you out of a jam or two.

2 Likes

I’m not a big fan of the AR platform in general as it $h!t’s where it eats. That said I have waaayyyyy too much time running them in all sorts of environments not to recognize the utility of it. IMHO right now with the laws and ATFE rulings as they stand I think the AR pistol is THE hot ticket for HD and Get HOME defense. You can debate caliber and loss of velocity all day but the ability to lay down a fair firestorm of “leave me alone” out past 200 yards cannot be debated. An AR pistol with a 7.5" or 10" tube provides a whole lot of “I don’t have to wait for you to get in pistol range”. Are they loud? YUP!, Big Fire Ball? YUP! IMHO that’s just fine because if I am running one I want you to be afraid and I want you to back up so that “I” am out of “YOUR” range. If I have to reach for a handgun then I have already screwed up and you are waaayyyy too close. The AR pistol extends the distance I am able to keep bad things back before I need to pick up a long gun but allows me to fight at bad breath range just as effectively. Take all of the above with the notion that I am a rifle guy, handguns are a necessary evil in my world and their primary function is to allow me to get to a good rifle.

Cheers,

Craig6

11 Likes

I just ordered one today myself (HM Defense Raider M5). Not going to build it, just going to pay a little more and have it done by someone who’s know WTF they are doing. It’s my first as well, but I did arrange to have the seller go out with me to the range and walk me through the operation, ensuring I’m safe, using good technique, and proper maintenance. I think that is worth it for someone new to the platform. I’ll get the hands-on work when I break it down for cleaning and upgrade components. Good Luck.

1 Like

Due to questionably intelligent deer season rules I have an AR pistol in 450 bushmaster which is legal but in a carbine it’s not (straight wall 4-10” barrel)
It’s fun but a little pricey to plink with (much)

Also keep box from brace that says ATF compliant just in case

2 Likes

Sorry but I’ve gotta disagree. If you think engaging beyond 200 yards in a Civilian situation is a viable option I’m afraid you’ve got some serious legal issues to address (unless someone “beyond 200 yards” is shooting at you. This isn’t an SD scenario, this is a war (in which case an AR pistol is ahead of a handgun but Way behind a rifle YMMV

2 Likes

Many people have used an AR-15 platform firearm for home defense - all over the news. I don’t believe anyone is looking to use a pistol at 200+ yards/meters, even the AR-15 pistol - is not for long range shooting.

1 Like

IMHO… I can’t see one good reason for an AR pistol. But for one exception… Building it makes you happy and you enjoy shooting it.

4 Likes

@Dwayne The post wasn’t about SD or HD but more the thoughts on the viability of the platform. I make no bones about the fact that I am a rifle guy and think in that context. Yes, engaging bad guys at 200+ yards would not be prudent in a SD/HD situation from a legal perspective. That said the platform allows a significant capability which should not be understated and that was my point. I view firearms as tools and a tool that can span multiple segments of usefulness is a fair good tool in my view. A Crescent wrench is not good at addressing any single bolt / nut but if you only can have one tool it’s a pretty good option if used appropriately. Unlike a $0.99 - $20 wrench a firearm is a significant investment and I think this particular platform is worthy of consideration regardless of potential legal entrapment’s. We all own every round we put down range no matter what the platform.

Cheers,

Craig6

6 Likes

Have you ever tried a AR 45 Banshee ?

1 Like

When you live West of the Mississippi River, self-defense distance is a different equation than it is if you live East of the Big Muddy. In rural country, working alone on a ranch in the desert southwest for example, a carbine (or “saddle rifle”) becomes your primary self-defense weapon and the sidearm is for trips to town and killing snakes.

YOUR appropriate self-defense distance is not appropriate for everyone else.

6 Likes

I guess I’ll need to learn how the pistol works. The muzzle flash, the recoil, and perhaps new maintenance. Have you needed to replace the barrel?
Thanks.

1 Like

Short ARs in any flavor have their niches and the AR pistol is no exception. I have a legal 7.5" SBR that I LOVE but if AR pistol/braces had been an option when I got mine I would have never went through the hassle. The HUGE advantage of an AR pistol is that in just about every state it is legal to transport a loaded “pistol” in the car with you. That is usually not the case with rifles. But I figured that if the situation dictates me carrying a fully loaded SBR on my lap probably the legality of it will be a FAR lower consideration. This one of the reasons my buddy, a retired CIA officer, carries a legal HK .308 PDW in a briefcase with him everywhere he goes. It’s his concealed pistol for truly bad situations. This is his basic EDC load out…

6 Likes