Who here enjoys working on old cars?

2 Likes

4 Likes

Not me, but my neighbor does. He’s grinding once again at the moment… He’s got a garage filled with Jack stands, rust and 2 badges, one says GTO and the other says Mustang. Got a 428 CJ in the Ford, but pretty sure you’re getting tetanus trying to see it.
Otoh, another guy I know makes a heck of a good living buying/selling and restoring muscle cars…this is one of his drag cars. '53 Nash Metropolitan with a tricked out 427 bbc.

3 Likes

I love finding a good car that can be fixed up properly! I have come across free vehicles and got them running and going well. 74 Bronco had to get a new engine and a Ford van needed just a new fuel pump and a torque converter. I have a 3/4-ton Ford pick-up I am fixing all up. It is going to be better than new.

3 Likes

Define old…

I will on occasion work on my '93 Geo Metro, or my '87 E350, but the newest project is a car, built the year i graduated high school, a 2005 Toyota Prius. Got to install fog lights, light bars, solar panel, inverters, DC power systems, tow reciever. Roof racks, etc. Going to make it road trip worthy…

Wow I didn’t know anyone else still had one!
Does the driver side window give difficulty going up and down?

1 Like

The drivers side window can roll down?

Lol, it has been up with the handle missing since the prior owner, it is stripped down, no carpet. No radio, sencondary running lights, and lots of added extras like a roof rack bolted through the roof.

It has air bags in the rear to assist leveling when under load, and can go off road decently…

I have currently an engine and trans from a donor 95 geo metro and a spare engine i was going to rebuild (in good shape now) and a trans that needs a light rebuilt. Also have a newly rebuilt trans and another engine but this one has a little knock to it…

Have boxes and boxes of parts for the car…

Old cars to me don’t have fuel injection.

3 Likes

What’s the difference between a Yugo and a door to door salesman??

… You can slam the door on a salesman :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m in the process of putting my dad’s '24 Model T Fordor on the road for it’s 100th Birthday, after it’s been sitting in a garage for 40 year. Lots of dust, mouse poop and black widows. Fun! :grin:

1 Like

Around the fuel tank? That was my observation of black widow spiders in California.

You never know where the lil’ dickens will show up.
A good dose of Raid will encourage them to move on though.

1 Like

Got any pictures to share? Are you keeping the original engine and driveline?

I haven’t had the opportunity recently, but my babies were early seventies VW busses, all stock and air-cooled.
Good times.

1 Like

Happy Birthday :birthday: @David38

1 Like

@David38 … Happy Birthday!

Thanks, guys!

3 Likes

I still still use a dwell meter and have a choice of 2 timing lights (Sears Craftsman), one with the adjustable advance feature, one without. I have rebuilt a number of 50’s and 60’s ventage Ford, Bowtie, and Chrysler V8s thru the years as well as 2-wheel to 4-wheel drive conversions, and all manner of maintenance required to keep stuff on the road for 100s of thousands of miles. Edelbrock/Carter AFB is my favorite carb - I hate Holleys and their stupid power valve! I used to really enjoy it, but I have to admit I don’t enjoy it as much in my 60’s as I used to. I’m waiting for cooler weather to do a 4 wheel drum brake job on a '65 Mustang, I am contemplating biteing the bullet and converting to front wheel disc, but hate to part with the cash :slight_smile:

Edit: I forgot to complain about the stupid Holley “hourglass” screws :rofl:

1 Like

@Gary_H, I also still have my timing light and a “K-Mart” engine analyzer, which shows dwell, RPM, and charging output. I just no longer own a vehicle they will work on.

1 Like

I’m still moving junk out of the garage so I’ll have room to work on it.
Everything is original except for the distributor.