When does “being prepared” go overboard/ unhealthy?

I have found carrying to have many positive effects on my life, I’m prepared, I have something to work at, I feel like I’m part of a solution to deter criminal activity/ evil, and I most importantly, I have the ability to protect my family if need be.

That being said, I sense their is potential to step beyond being pressured into being in a world of paranoia. I don’t want to walk out of my house expecting this to be the day I have to shoot someone. I know CPR. I can do CPR like an on off switch. But that switch doesn’t go off until it’s time. That’s how I feel about carrying. I’m not waiting for the event, but I train and study so when the time comes I can react in an appropriate way.

4 Likes

@Scoutbob - to answer your question: Always

5 Likes

Agree with @OldGnome
I carried when I was younger, but I am older now and have injuries from my time in the service. I really feel like EDC is the only real way I can properly protect my wife and any innocents around me. I feel the entire enterprise has made me more active and given me new challenges. So in my situation, I feel it has been very healthy. It reminds me that I still have an important mission to acomplish, even now.
Great question @Scoutbob

2 Likes

I renamed the title. I’m sorry, it was originally “when is being prepared healthy”, I meant when does over preparation lead to assuming the worst of people, limit your ability to enjoy life, or is there no such thing as being over prepared? Just a discussion topic.

1 Like

When it interferes with other aspects of having a “normal” life…

E.g. Spending the rent money on a new gun, ammo or training…spending all of your time at the range and none with friends or family (unless they are at the range)…refusing to go out for fear of being attacked…

7 Likes

As long as you don’t start peering out of a crack in the curtains while wearing your tinfoil hat when you hear the chopper overhead. :scream:
Seriously though, after being a Corrections Officer for 16 years I check out everyone I see or meet
with suspicion, “how can you hurt me or mine” it has saved me a time or two and has kept me out of a situation more then once. the difference would be between vigilance and paranoia.

7 Likes

I apologize for changing the topic on you. I do want to say that these seem like really amazing positives for a veteran. I find the sense of mission to be very powerful. I really appreciate you sharing. Thank you for your service. I obviously think carrying is a very positive thing. That is why I am here. Again, I apologize for changing the topic on you.

2 Likes

Thank you good sir. No apologies needed. It’s an awesome question either way.

2 Likes

This is a good question.
My 2 cents:

1. Being “prepared” means you have a way to solve a problem that might occur.
  2. It goes “overboard” when you dedicate more resources to the solution than what’s required.
  3. And it becomes “unhealthy” when you obsess over it (aka…wearing your tinfoil).

Thanks,

5 Likes

It varies from person to person since everybody’s financial situations are different. But, if preparedness leads you to irresponsibility in other areas of life, you have gone overboard my friend. :point_left:t5:
Wife & kids keep me far from overboard though. I have told my wife to look out once they are grown & gone :smile:
:v:t5:

3 Likes

@Jim63 Welcome.

Really is a good question. I look at it more from the software angle rather than hardware. Depending too, over time what you would think is paranoia now, may not be later.

Sorta like the first time CCW carrier. You are out and about, and you are constantly worried that someone can “see” the gun, printing, etc. So you adjust, fret, walk funny. The thing is I can tell you have a gun by your actions…LOL Either way, all good.

When I am out and about, I watch peoples hands, look at behavior, check around the vehicle as I approach (especially other vehicles), park away from vehicles if I can, and some other stuff. This has become automatic, and is no more stressing than a regular walk. That to me is healthy.

3 Likes

ditto for Jim63

I think there is a difference between being prepared and ‘over the top’.
I think carrying multiple guns, knives, etc. might be over the top. That or you need to move to a better neighborhood.
I think to Jim63’s point, if it becomes obsessive and interferes with your interpersonal relationships, that is probably a good indicator you might have hit the unhealthy zone.
Like posting all the time on a blog page…DOH!

3 Likes

Thank you for changing title…I was just about to respond asking…when did it become going overboard and unhealthy???the bew title is more suitable.

@Jim63

I think point 3 is a movable target. What you might consider paranoia, is common sense to me.

1 Like

You also bring up a good point. Our answers to this question are bound to be subjective…our world view, personality, upbringing, even religion… all play a part in how we define what’s “overboard”. That’s probably why the term, “Reasonable or Prudent” was developed. There has to be a legal standard. …again, just my 2 cents. Thanks.

2 Likes

I think some people would find some of my motivations, let’s say outsized. But if you knew me, knew my past. While you might not have those experiences, you would understand why I have the motivations I have.

There really isn’t such a thing as being “over” prepared, there’s only being prepared.

2 Likes

I’m not sure that’s true. I used to carry a huge backpack when I went camping, because I wanted to be prepared for anything. Eventually I realized that I was carrying 50 lbs of stuff I never used. I was so prepared that it was weighing me down. Now I carry a smaller pack and I can hike farther.

I guess the trick is that no one really knows if they’re under prepared or over prepared until it’s too late. If the zombies are breaking down your door and you’re out if ammo, you didn’t prepare. If you’re dead and your house is full of C rations, then you over prepared.

2 Likes