Why I decided to begin carrying again after 18 years of not being involved or owning a gun

On Friday as my wife and I were heading home from work. A pickup cut me off. I sounded my horn and as I pulled up to red light he pulled around beside me on shoulder and began screaming at me. I just shook my head as he made repeated threats. He then exited his pickup and started telling me to get out. I was unable to leave scene due to traffic. He began kicking my door and attempted to open it. Deciding that I had no choice but to fight I tried to exit the car. As I did he pulled a gun and threatened to kill me and my wife. As I backed off a man from behind him identifying himself as law enforcement ordered him to drop gun and get down.

If it had not been for the police officer no telling how it would have ended. I applied for my concealed carry that night and Saturday purchased a Turuas 24/7 9mm

Never again will I or my family be at the mercy of a person and no chance of defending them or myself. I served 15 years in military (Army infantry) have been deployed 12 times and had seen enough violence for a life time. But I was reminded Friday. We don’t het to decide if a life threatening situation arises we can only decide to be prepared or not

71 Likes

Thank you for your exceptional service for our Republic. I am very glad you and your wife are ok. I am also glad that you have armed yourself. I am sorry that things have gotten so bad that you had to though. God bless you and be safe brother.

21 Likes

Thank you

8 Likes

@James554 and Wife welcome to the community, we are glad you are both safe. Bruce and Nancy. :+1:

11 Likes

First, Welcome Aboard!

When we go down range we have a multitude of assets at our back and front. When we are here (home) we often times don’t even think about the reality that we left because that was “over there” and “That doesn’t happen here.” The reality is that violence and stupid people happen everywhere as you were witness to. As an experienced Vet (Me and You) I can only imagine the helplessness and terror going through your head as you have all the skills but no tools as well as the proximity of your family.

Welcome to the real world, this is a great place to learn about things we took for granted.

Cheers,

Craig6

12 Likes

New to USCCA. I recently had a incident similar to this happen a few weeks ago. A man was driving in front of me on his phone. He hit his brakes hard slowing down to half the speed limit. This put me less than a car link from him. Instead of continuing to drive he stops and gets out. He started pointing and yelling at me for being to close. As he approached my truck I placed my G3C on my lap and told him to stay back. Not sure if he actually seen my firearm but he walked backwards to his car yelling at me the whole time. And now I’m a member of the USCCA.

19 Likes

First, Welcome aboard!

There seems to be a lot of stupid stuff happening on the roads. I and two of my co workers were plugging down the highway last week all in a line and there were brake lights, right damn now brake lights. All three of us were able to stop in the middle of a super slab. I and my next co worker were able to squirt by but the last one got a view of the whole show. This guy STOPPED in the middle of an interstate (65 MPH) and leaned out his window to scream at the guy behind him. The guy behind drove off and the guy that stopped tailgated him off the interstate almost ramming him several times. My co worker had video of the whole mess as he was stuck behind them and we have dash mounts for out phones . Dunno what the final outcome was but about 10 cars were within seconds of rear ending the cars in front.

Cheers,

Craig6

10 Likes

@James554. Thank you for your service for our country. I glad that you and your wife are ok.

6 Likes

@Jackie8. welcome to the community, I’m glad that you are ok and was not attacked by that guy.
Train hard and stay safe. :smiley:

7 Likes

Thank you for sharing your story and glad the officer was there and your wife and you are ok. And amen to making the decision to start carrying. And thank you for your service.

6 Likes

Welcome to the family and you are blessed to be here .

4 Likes

@James554. Welcome to the community. Thank you for sharing this unfortunate event. Glad you and your wife are safe.

Last week I was pulling into my driveway at home and someone blasts their horn at me from behind. A young guy tried passing me on the left as I was trying to turn left into the drive. Amazing! He glared at me, I pulled in. He sped off. All in a residential neighborhood.

Yesterday, I stopped by the Sonic drive through. The guy behind me kept honking his horn at me every time I didn’t inch forward to his liking. I got upset, thought about a few conversations in this community then had a good chuckle to myself. Didn’t engage with the guy, kept an eye on the situation, picked up my order and drove off smiling.

Stay safe family! We have got to keep calm, be aware of our surroundings and make good decisions.

12 Likes

Thank you for your service, @James554!

So very true. I’m grateful to that LEO who was there at the right time. I hope you never have to defend yourself, but I feel better knowing you know how and have the tools you need.

Stay safe James!

10 Likes

I am so glad that you and your wife are OK.
Please train diligently now that you have taken on the serious responsibility of carrying.

7 Likes

@James554, From one Veteran to another, Thank you for your years of Service. I think you made a good decision to protect yourself and your wife. Welcome to the USCCA, your best defense for the fight after the fight. I would encourage you and your wife both get trauma first aid and learn what your state laws are about self defense. Bless You Brother.
@Jackie8, Welcome to you as well and the same encouragements about training to you. Stay Safe.
@Dawn, Hi Dawn, Good to see you.

8 Likes

As a guest here at the USCCA Community, I seldom comment. Today is an exception because your story is also an exception. Law enforcement is seldom on the spot as in your case. Good for you taking responsibility for you and your family’s safety. This site is a great place for those new to weapons or as in your case quite familiar to exchange thoughts, ideas and even questions. Members are always kind and thoughtful in their response and most often helpful as well.

My status as a guest came about when the state I live in decided that it was appropriate to insure drunk drivers who violate the law but not gun owners that are forced to use their weapons in legal self defense. The good people at USCCA were forced to not renew my coverage but were kind enough to continue my participation on the community board. Perhaps someday the courts or common sense will prevail and Washington State will again allow USCCA to underwrite coverage for those that choose to legally carry for protection.

Stay safe and enjoy the site.

11 Likes

Thank you for your device glad you are ok I never carried a gun in my life but things have gotten so bad it is not safe to be without one and I am 70 years old now so be safe and make sure you are aware of your situation at all times

5 Likes

I am eddie11 nice to talk to everyone my first post on here

9 Likes

Interesting how I never realized how slow one’s reactions get to be with age, and the normal strength that I used to take for granted is simply not there. If anyone really needs to be armed, it is probably senior citizens who may be approached by younger militants. It the only way seniors have a chance.

11 Likes

Perfectly stated sir. Perfectly stated.

9 Likes