With things looking like we are winding down, going forward what will you change?

There are lots of ‘prepper’ levels from none to full scale fortress prepping. I consider myself to be a lower level prepper. Now that things appear to be winding down I’m taking stock on what changes I might make. Since disasters can come in both natural and manmade forms, or even both, I think this one serves as a good wake up call.

A few things we learned include that law enforcement drops off, communication is critical, medical care is woefully lacking, and supply chain disruption would be a real killer.

I found my personal plans to be pretty solid. I could easily go 3 months without resupply and much longer if I went into real survival mode. I had gone into limited contact mode weeks before social distancing became a trend. Frankly the change in my life style has been very minimal. Because our supply chain was still working I did not even go into my long term food storage supplies. My only change forward is because of age, my bug-out is a lot last drastic a move. About the best I could do would be to head to the farm property where I have younger relatives in the area that I could help and they could help me.

Watching ‘people’ and their actions during this time really makes me thankful this was not a long term power grid failure, that I’m not living in a major population area, that I have skills to survive, and a wife who can be level headed in a crisis mode. In short no planned changes, everything went well for me.

So how did things go for you and are you changing things going forward?

10 Likes

@William

Not any big changes I’ve always been fairly socially distant. For me it’s kind of been a preview of what my retirement with my wife will be like. It’s actually been nice.

I’m going to keep my supplies at or higher than they were.

I was well supplied on ammo so I was gtg there. Only area that really concerns me is medication.

10 Likes

Meds are a issue since some only allow for max supply of 30 days while others might go 90 days. I’ll guess we will quickly learn how important they are…

5 Likes

I’ll definitely make sure I add toilet paper to my supplies. :wink:

But seriously, this has been an eye opener for me. I need to start putting together a plan to be more self-sufficient in case another situation comes along where I need to be self sufficient for a period of time. Being from Florida, we have a level of supplies which we build up towards hurricane season, but allow to dwindle down until the next season. I need to start setting up a more permanent stock on items that just does not get touched unless there is a real emergency.

I also need to be more mindful of my ammo stock. Again, this is something that I let dwindle down until I only have a few hundred rounds on hand before I order more.

4 Likes

Mine have had me messed up.

3 Likes

One thing I am watching is to see who and what places try to hang onto all of this extra plenipotentiary power. The Governor’s of some states have really gone way overboard.

I was reading several articles on this and some were talking about tracking apps, so they could see who had been in proximity to who.

Alot of rights are getting stomped on
I can understand but some of it seems a bit Orwellian to me.

Then I am hoping the economy bounces back strong, so that isn’t used as a political tool.

Finally, I want to see the results of the investigation. Into who is responsible for the release of this virus. It could be natural but I don’t think so.

Wrong thread probably, but I was glad to see Trump withhold aid to WHO. They did not do their job.

9 Likes

My underwear, once I’m allowed to leave the house again.

7 Likes

Nancy and I would consider ourselves medium level Preppers. No bugging out for us, to much stuff to take anyway.
We never touched our preps so I guess we wouldn’t change or need anything different or more (not even TP).
Meds would be a problem for Nancy long term but not much to do about that.
So pretty much all we do is go shopping every three to four days, doing yard work when weather permitting, snow, rain and wind here for the last two weeks.
I guess I will have to restock up on batteries soon as I have to change quit a few out soon.
Other then that all good here. Stay safe,Bruce and Nancy. :+1:

5 Likes

Nothing, we are preppers.

The only thing if you think about it, we would move to South Dakota where the governor, Kristi Noem is amazingly level headed and practical about all this cv stuff and abides strictly by the US Constitution.

7 Likes

I’ve some very good friends in SD and visit them every fall to pheasant hunt and they come down here to my beach place each spring. I too would consider SD except somebody forgot to explain to them that winter does not last for 8 months. I don’t think I could handle -30 even if you do have a nice 20+mph wind to make up for it.

4 Likes

I’ve decided against buying a truck. I’ll fix up the old beast I have. Without a payment, my wife and I can almost live off my income alone. I will be ramping up my time table for a reloading setup. Other than that, I’m a country boy, and Hank Jr said it best “County Folks can Survive!”

10 Likes

After watching and reading about a lot of the people who were infected with the CCP-Virus it sounds like a lot of them were able to speak with medical help but were discouraged from actually going to a Dr.'s office or ER. The big lesson learned for going forward will be to add some devices like a oximeter which will show pulse and blood oxygen levels. My target device will have BT capability to get the data to a smart phone. I believe being able to share data with a medical contact would have helped many of the cases I have heard about get access to healthcare faster, not mention alerted the patient that there was an issue with something like blood oxygen. My plans have always been focused on being independent (and that is important) but if I can add some telemedicine abilities I will.

5 Likes

Being old, we prep for bugging in. I had about a month’s supply of most stuff when this started. Fortunately, at least up to now, we have not had disruption of services. I will need to restock TP, tissues, cleaning supplies to include wipes. I still have canned food, bottled water, camp stove & fuel.

5 Likes

I am with you. @45IPAC I just dumped a bunch into my little car to get it completely up to snuff. It is paid forand gets great fuel mileage. I will get more ammo for my 45, it was the newest gun and I had just been to the range when the Red-star hit the Air conditioner. I need more slugs and 00 buck as well. I now know how long TP lasts and how many paper towels I use.I will get another 30 days of dried food and some more canned goods. I have been good in all of those departments but maybe a slight edge would. Other than that I am good. Well I might get a 6.5 Creedmore just in case I need to shoot some pigs.

3 Likes

My wife is a minimalist prepper, and tempers my desire to prep for a year off-the-grid. This event has been a good thing, in that we’ve both learned where we need to fill some gaps.

First, three weeks of non-perishable foods isn’t enough. Second, we somehow allowed ourselves to almost run out of bleach. Finally, I’ve revised desired ammo inventory. 3 pistols, I usually try to keep 1,200 rounds available. I went into this crisis with only 850. For future, I’m gradually re-stocking to a 2,400 level.

3 Likes

I will become a low level prepper. I do have a ton of ammo but not much of it is defense. That is changing. Once my refinance is done, I can start getting more. My wife is on board with it. We will rotate a stock of canned goods. I just need to make space.

2 Likes

Will not have to change much for us. Have been prepping for a while and needed nothing we did not have.
I was a good trial run to see what we might have missed.
We spend a lot of study on health so use herbs and oils and don’t take any meds.
I am working on setting up my HAM radio equipment again for communications.

Watching people I realized that most act in fear without facts and therefore panic set in, with the help of the media. I trust people a lot less today than I did before this happened. With fear and panic they are likely to act stupid and aggressive if things get bad.

5 Likes

Not changing anything. We came through it like champs, already had 200 rolls of toilet paper in the pantry before this hoax started.

1 Like

With the shutdown of meat packing plants, I am concerned about outages down the road. On my grocery delivery today, Walmart was out of canned ham, canned salmon, and canned beef stew.

1 Like

I hear you. Which is why I fish and hunt.

3 Likes