Weekly Prep Changes?

Sunday has always been a weekly preparation day in my home. In summer, that preparation may start after a long day out on the bikes, but the preparation still happens.

My preparation can include everything from meal planning/cooking/storage to evening training schedules to laundry (yuck) and firearm cleaning.

How as your weekly preparation changed in light of recent circumstances?

7 Likes

Is it really Sunday today? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

After 3 weeks of staying home I don’t have preparation day anymore.
It will come back once I start working normally…

8 Likes

We weren’t normal after Pearl Harbor, we weren’t normal after 911, and we’re not going to be normal after Covid-19. I’m glad I’m old, I prepare daily and fortunately I won’t get to see this country eat itself. Unfortunately my grandkids will have to suffer the sins of today. I did the best I could to teach them who we are and what we are and why we fought so hard. They don’t understand the meaning of preparation.
They may not heed the social distancing now, but watch what happens the first time someone sneezes at less than six feet in the near future.

9 Likes

@Scott52:+1:, but it’s not true. World is changing constantly, WWII, 911, any pandemic is not gonna change the way I work.
The meaning of preparation is more virtual. I’d say Saturday is such day for my Family. This is the day we clean the house and prepare the food for next whole week (there is no time for preparation during weekdays).

I remember, long, long time ago back in Poland, Saturday was the day my Mom allowed me and my brother to use bathtub and take the shower, so we could wash whole body, not hands and face only… that was real “preparation day” :grimacing: :zipper_mouth_face: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
If you pass such info to your kids, they will understand the meaning.

4 Likes

My prep is usually Friday afternoons. They are usually lighter work days and i’ll get things in line for the next week for court appearances and calling clients on the calendar. Now, with courts closed through April 24th, and most other court related activities cancelled, my work calendar is very clear.
I had blocked out next week because of the hernia surgery I had Friday. My planning for next week is really just around phone calls and giving my body some time to heal. My wife Saint Becky, is picking up the heavy lifting right now planning out all the meals and doing most of the running. I am getting out some to try to keep from adding to the 5 or so pounds I have picked up because of limiting my activities since the hernia was discovered. All the guns, but a rifle, are clean. That may have to wait until I have my post op follow up.
Since Saint Becky is currently working from home, too, my dry fire practice has been reduced. She gets a little uneasy when I am wandering the house taking shots at pictures, photos and people on the television.

10 Likes

God speed your healing :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about the hernia, but very thankful you were able to get in and get it fixed before this pandemic starts to apex.
You’ll be fine in a matter of no time, but avoid lifting much for a while. Nothing heavier than a 1911 or an AR carbine.

2 Likes

Let your body rest and heal, your body will tell you when it’s time to resume normal activity, stay as safe as you possibly can.

3 Likes

My wife sent me to the grocery store today with a short list to get me out and moving a little more.
It felt good to get out, but an OWB holster was just a little uncomfortable.

4 Likes

Take care while you recover Mike.

2 Likes

Wishes for a speedy recovery.

Have you considered a shoulder holster like the Galco Classic Lite? It takes a few days for the leather to form to the body and the firearm, adjusting it in the beginning and after it settles can be tiresome if you are not “into it,” and I ended up replacing the Lite straps with a 2.75" Galco harness and 2 horizontal mag holder (to move the attachment points further from my armpit). I’ve been using it ocsasionally for my CW45. Something to do if you have a lot of down time.

I ended up getting a Galco Miami Classic for my M2.0 a couple weeks ago, but I ordered the Galco 2.75" wide harness at the same time and never took the stock harness out of the bag. I’ve been pretty happy with it the last week. I probably would have gotten the horizontal mag version, but I wanted the option to use the second latched magazine pouch for other items if necessary.

I put them on like I’m putting on a backpack, so it’s fairly quick and easy…

3 Likes

Shoulder rig shuffle time! Oh, and if it’s new to you, let em hang low. No sense in making a straight jacket out of it! :wink:

GWS!

2 Likes

Mike, quick healing to you, prayers for all!

3 Likes

My employer has been deemed “critical infrastructure” and as such, I continue to work through this COVID-19 event. Lots of stress at work, as pay cuts, furloughs, and layoffs will start kicking in soon.

I’m bad about vigorously working the “honey-do” list on weekends. I’ve changed my prep by intentionally taking downtime on Sunday to rest my body and spend quiet time.

2 Likes

I have been fortunate in that public works is considered a critical employment position and that we had switched to online schooling immediately after winter break, so she is still active in our home school routine. Shes a little bummed that they didn’t close the virtual doors, but she’ll understand how fortunate she is someday.
I had been putting off fixes to my truck (a blend door actuator) for a few months figuring I’ll have time when it gets warmer. If anyone out there has a first gen ford f150 or expedition, then they know why I’ve been putting it off! A whole lotta work removing 90% of the dash… to replace a $17 plastic part.
Then this virus pandemic hit, and I realized that the whole lotta work insuring my bug out vehicle was ready to help an escape if needed, was a small sacrifice that I should’ve addressed when discovered!
So…ive always wanted a place to put my weapon that was easier to access then the center console or glove compartment, and long trips with it concealed on my side gets uncomfortable at times. While very liw tech…i came up with this, what do you think???

4 Likes

Every day is Sunday. I just spent 15 minutes watching the social dynamics of ducks across the street. It’s getting to be that time of year, their little duck hormones are redlining.

5 Likes

Since it was already taken apart and all

2 Likes

I’m feeling that the “protests” are just going to intensify between now an d 11/3.
I also think that someone or some group is going to “go off” on the protesters and we’ll lose a lot or protestors or get into a firearms skirmish on the streets.
Today’s escalation won’t end well, and I do not look forward to reading the news tomorrow morning while eating my yogurt.

Prepping: We are about 5 ish weeks away from the election.
The number one thing you can do to prepare is if you live in an urban area or a potential target area for “protests” plan to visit a relative for a few days. In other words, Bug Out on the 2nd.

Prior to that weekend, so maybe October 20th or 30th, regardless where or how far away from a “hot spot” you live. Hit the grocery store and stock up on things you’ll need for about a week to ten days. Basically a self imposed SIP (Shelter in Place).

If you’re living in the burbs, chat it up with your like minded neighbors and have a plan. Discuss who possibly would have a more defensible home, maybe the home in the back of the neighborhood, or the one made with all stone. A house at the entrance to the neighborhood and a corner lot, eeeek, maybe not the best spot.

If you have more than 1 car, maybe out on the street or in the driveway, find a friend, church, or country grocery store or something further out to park your extra cars.

REMEMBER: Homeowners, auto, etc. insurance does NOT pay claims in the event of loss due to “Civil Unrest”.
Some umbrella policies do, so check into that, asap.

Stay safe and hope to hear stories, updates and your thoughts.

1 Like

Sorry about the hernia. It sucks to hurt. Praying you heal quickly.

For me, I was right in the middle of all the fires in western Oregon the last 3 weeks. Very stressful and miserable, the air was like red jello. Visibility was down to maybe 200 yards and the air was totally noxious, BURNED to breath even with an N95 mask. Luckilly the AC on CIRCULATE just recycled the inside air without bringing in outside air and kept it filtered, but it still got nasty inside the house. Open a door for 30 seconds and it took 3 hours to clear it back out.
What I learned was with all the preparation I have done, I am very prepared if I am at home. However after I retired I pretty much distributed my bug out bag preps back all around the house. So, I am now working on putting back together my bug out bag(s) and/or maybe good heavy plastic bins I can toss into the truck. The other HUGE thing I am resolving is stored water. Lots of water around me 8 months out of the year, but this year has been so dry everything has dried up. The bears and cougars are coming down out of the hills looking for food and water it is so dry.
I had prepared two 42 gallon trash cans, cleaned them out and filled them with water before the fires so I could use to flush toilets if the power goes out. AT my place if the power goes out, so does my well leaving me with no water. I also filled four, 7 gallon reliance potable water jugs with extremely highly filtered water but it bothered me that I only had 4 of them. So I am buying a couple more and looking into maybe a couple 300 gallon tanks I can fill for emergency use. Not sure where I would put them if I got them, but that can be figured out. I also would like to have a generator hookup added to my breaker box where I could at least hook up the well and maybe water heater. I can run extension cords to anything else on a rotating basis.
So, I got enlightened by these terrible fires and will be adapting as I can afford it.

1 Like

I feel you pain. I had to completely remove my steering wheel, dashboard, and a bunch of other stuff to replace a column mounted multi switch that ran my windshield wipers. Took me two days of standing on my head twisted like a pretzel and a LOT of cussing to replace that $25.00 part. Dealer wanted something like $750.00 to do it. I cant afford that. But in Oregon, you also need your windshield wipers. Had to take 2 vacation days off work to do it.
I like the idea of having the gun out of its holster. Its hard to get at sitting down with a seat belt on. Looking at what you did has given me the idea of placing a piece ov velcro in a similar position and just dedicating a holster to it.

1 Like