How are you mentally preparing for possible extended quarantine?

We’re on SafeAtHome here in Wisconsin until April 24th! That’s a full month at home (in addition to the week and a half some of us have been home already). If you’re lucky enough to be able to work from home, it’s a great distraction. If you’re not able to work from home, it can increase your stress level greatly.

No matter what your work situation, there will be stress during this time. We’ve talked about how we can keep busy which will help.

How do you mentally prepare for sheltering in place/staying home for an extended period of time?

6 Likes

Spent 8 years on submarines, no stranger to being away from sun, fresh air and society for more than 30, 60, 90, 120 days. Being at home with my wife for the next 30 or 60 days no problem, 90 days I think we’re stretching things a bit. Just kidding, being with the wife, priceless!
As far as getting over the stress and boredom, puzzles of all types keep the brain alive, books, cooking spectacular meals, binging on movies and definitely stay away from the news.
Check news every three days, this gives you time to actually forget what’s going on, yes I found it comes back to you in waves as you realize that we are living in a sci-fi movie and your not an extra. If you do everything right you could turn out to be the hero.

15 Likes

The type of work I do is essential for the defense of this country. I build aircraft parts, so I’m mainly staying home on weekends. I’m mainly keeping a closer eye out for strangers in the neighborhood.

7 Likes

I work in a Walgreens DC, so, I get out of the house every weekday. Never thought I’d be glad to go in to work. Now, if the gun range would reopen.

5 Likes

I’ve been at home for 4 years. However, having my family here is definitely a challenge. I went for an hour long bike ride today which did help my mental state but the next few days may not be nice enough.

The biggest problem is Spectrum cable can’t keep up with the demand for speed. Today was a huge slowdown and our IP phones were certainly challenged. Not all of my employees have unlimited cell plans so using the app on their phone is out.

I have a DriFire kit on the way!

I’m trying to finish a project but I need some desoldering braid to fix my soldering screw up. My dad has some so I am getting it from him since local stores are closed. Hobby and electronic stores are essential in my book! Here’s the link if you care. I 3D printed the enclosure. I’ll post a pic when I finish it.

5 Likes

I have to think more about my wife. She wants go back to work after her second day of quarantine. :scream: And still 12 days to go…
I’ve been staying at home for 20 days. I’m already mentally prepared :slightly_smiling_face:
We have food, water,electricity, gas… TV, Internet… so far so good. No reason for negative thoughts.

5 Likes

It would be nice to feel that way. At least Brian and I are going to drive to Texas, he is going to leave his van at the house he owns there and if he gets the deal on the bmw m5 he wants at the bmw dealer there we will be driving back to Chicago in Monday or Tuesday. At least we get away for awhile and maybe we both can de stress . That would be good.

1 Like

It would be nice to feel your way as well.
However… I had to cancel my job at Denver, drop another deal at Miami. But it is what it is…

Hard to comment your bmw deal…
Instead of being mentally prepared, you think about driving to Texas. Really? You don’t care about what happens around?

You should be in European’s shoes now: any travel above 1km -> thousands euro penalty. If people cannot understand gravity of the situation they have to be forced to stop making stupid decisions.

:triumph: :rage: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :angry:

4 Likes

sorry to hear about your work situation, however no one is anyone’s keeper, and no one has the right to infringe on other’s rights. Why should we have to suffer just to protect the community?

I have worked from home for 18 years and am quite an introvert. Staying home is not only normal for me, but I like it. My wife, on the other hand, is very much an extrovert. I am concerned that she will get cabin fever after only a day or two of “safer at home,” which starts at 10pm tonight.

3 Likes

I cannot understand your need to exhibit high risk behavior during a pandemic.
Believe it or not, it’s not just about you.
Your ability to spread the infection while being asymptomatic is real. This is why we have the shelter in place mandates now. Do you not understand that your actions could result in other people getting the disease and dying? Italy penalized your action–going out without good reason–as murder.
This forum is for responsibly armed citizens. Please show some responsibility.

5 Likes

Back to the topic–the thing that’s hard to prepare for here is having my wife and stepson and other stepson’s GF coming in and out every day.
My wife is a rapid response nurse at a large academic medical center, my stepson is a pharmacist at a community hospital, and the GF is a research assistant at the Childrens Hospital.
The work we’re having to do building ‘hot zones’ for scrubs/personal items, the disinfecting–it’s tedious and unnerving, especially knowing that as soon as one of them actually acquires COVID, it won’t matter–given they’ve been contagious for 2-5 days before showing symptoms.
Trying to keep my wife from freaking out as she goes through Facebook and sees so many of her friends and coworkers go down is tough. She’s scared to death of bringing it home and killing us.
I have no doubt we’ll get sick–it’s just a question of when. We’re doing everything possible given our circumstances, but I doubt it will be effective in the long run.
I’ve spoken to my very elderly parents, and they’re both at peace with whatever happens (a retired minister and a retired nurse).
I’m calling my sons regularly to check on them, and texting all my friends as well to maintain relationships. I think it’s really important to remember that social distancing is better described as physical distancing–we need to do what we can to reach out to people we know to help alleviate feelings of isolation.
From a defensive perspective–I’m installing another floodlight on the house, a wireless camera, doing walkthroughs of the property to ensure I have not missed anything from a security perspective. Dry firing daily on multiple weapons.
I’m expecting a return to normal daily activities in the end of May, but I expect this virus to continue to impact us until next year.

7 Likes

@Aaron25 Good post,hang in there. all good here. Stay safe, Bruce and Nancy.

3 Likes

People are dying, health care workers are dying while they risk their lives to save others. People who do everything right are dying because of those who wont. We are Americans! This is a war where good people are suffering. You know, I really thought you guys were trolling us. Your reckless and selfish attitudes seem so out of line with the vast majority of this community.
I just can’t grasp it. I bet that if you guys got the virus, you will be rushing to the hospital to be saved. This only after you possibly infect everyone you meet between there and Texas and back. This is a war. We are Americans. Act like it!

5 Likes

God please bless and protect your family sir. You guys represent everything that is good and noble about the U.S. Thank you and all those like you so very much.

5 Likes

We live in a small populated area, and we are self employed in an essential type of service business. We are lucky. As we read the stories we wish we could do more to help all. Stay safe and may God Bless.

3 Likes

First of all, I don’t care about my work situation. It is not a priority anymore.

These days we don’t have the right to demand our rights.
You mentioned one day that you or Bruce used to work somewhere…can you remind me where?
Don’t write about suffering … You don’t know meaning of this word.
Once your community dies, you die as well. Ow…maybe you will be able drive your bmw for next few days… But eventually it ends as well.

This Community you are part of (if you feel this way) is about to learn and help others.
Please learn the lesson. If you’re not able to help, just don’t ruin other’s help.

3 Likes

I went for a 12 mile ride yesterday. I hope to do the same or more today. Rad Rover e-bike.

6 Likes

I want to start by saying I’m not backing what Dicki or Brian have been spouting off (I find most of it ridiculous and irresponsible) , but I disagree about not demanding our rights. We should absolutely be protecting our rights rabidly right now. The thing that most people seem to ignore is that having rights demands having responsibilities. We should not be looking to give up our rights to the government for some false sense of protection and security from them (they’ve already proven they don’t and won’t take the steps to protect us via orders to release criminals, refusing to enforce laws dealing with “non-violent” offenses, rejecting relief because they don’t get money for their pet projects, etc…). If you think we can be generous with our rights to deal with this and then the government will just reinstate everything when it’s done, you haven’t been paying attention over the last 20 years. Patriot Act anyone?

We need to be taking the personal responsibility to make sure our actions keep ourselves and others safe. It falls on us and we need to fight to maintain our rights so we can.

5 Likes

@JustinK, it’s not about giving up the Rights. This is not what I meant.
We don’t have mental right to demand something what is against us at this moment.

3 Likes