What's happening in California

I just got a U.S. Passport card and didn’t give CA a cent. The ultimate Real ID card. And it was $30 for 10 years vs, DMV $36 for 5 years.

4 Likes

I like the way you think, @bulldog!

3 Likes

Insane… What happened to “shall not be infringed”? Not trying to get too political, but all this for ammo and guns, but no ID to vote?

2 Likes

Gavin Newsome discussed the new ammo purchase law and he said one of the great things about it is “now we can find ghost guns.” So there you have it.

2 Likes

I truly feel sorry for anyone stuck in California.

1 Like

So they’re officially out in the open now with using the ammo purchase records to backtrack against a gun registration database to prosecute people? :angry:

1 Like

I can only infer from Newsom’s statement that may be the case. Although it’s easier said than done. I don’t see a judge signing a search warrant on just buying ammo in a caliber that doesn’t match a gun the state may know about. There are hundreds of thousands of legally possessed arms in CA the state has no record of. Any handgun bought before the Dealer Report of Sale system went into effect or a long gun purchased before 2014 is not required to be registered with the state unless a defined “assault weapon.”

2 Likes

Here’s a bump update, a lawsuit has been filed.

Many reports of citizens being denied being able to clear go purchase, vendors such as a Big 5 sporting goods as of July 12 that still hadn’t had their systems updated and linked to the states data base.

This lawsuit is going to be another victory to have an injunction in place and this law repealed I can feel it.

1 Like

From your lips to God’s ears.

2 Likes

Unfortunately a lot of business staff that sell ammo at recreational sporting good stores or wal marts are unaware that a passport is the ultimate federal ID. They have been known to turn down ammo sales. Uneducated businesses will only take a real ID, and that’s “if” you pass the background check. This is a violation of our rights.

1 Like

This is not only affecting civilian purchase but also active LEOs, stationed military, and those in rural areas. This is “supposed” to stop illegal gun violence but all it is doing is effecting the law abiding citizens.
Just yesterday NorCal had an active shooting at a festival, almost 1 month since this unlawful law went into effect, prayers to those effected. It is sad to see violence like that used, while proving that these so called CA gun laws are “saving lives.” I always hear or read “leave California” but if all of us who believe in our rights up and left we leave the future generations severely handicapped. We need more awareness, more ways to actively inform the public and help bridge this un-unified gap CA residents have. Let’s make CA great again, vote for what is right, protect those who can’t yet protect themselves (growing youth) and stop pointing fingers at who’s to blame for this madness CA is dealing with in terms to gun laws. We cant run every time it doesn’t go our way, sometimes you have to remind people they can not tread on us.

3 Likes

@Dakota, I would contend that it’s doing precisely what its intended to do. I think the “supposed to stop illegal gun violence” thing is all gaslighting and whitewash.

1 Like

Finally got around to buying ammo after the new law went into effect. Went to a CA Walmart for some practice .38 special and 9mm ammo.
First I had to show my license. It’s not Real ID so I also produced my Passport Card. The clerk enters my data and she gets CA DOJ on her screen. She asked for my city of birth and my race. I told her I’m in front of you, what race do you think I am? She said sorry I have to ask you. I asked her if a white man could still buy ammo in CA. She looked at me and said “Until next Monday.” I’m liking her now cuz she’s got a sense of humor. She finally said I was approved. I told her how proud I was to have the State of California’s approval. She rolled her eyes at that one.
Then I had to sign 3 DOJ forms. 1 for the background and one for each caliber I bought. She made copies of my license and passport card and stapled it to the three forms and put them in a drawer.
It took about 5 minutes to accomplish the transaction. Cost $1.

1 Like

Holy cow @bulldog! What an ordeal.
Heres my question… do you feel safer yet? Do you think others do? :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

I was going to say something about needing the morning after pill. But this is a family forum.

1 Like

You have to wonder what the retailers think about it, @bulldog. It causes them more work and headaches too. :confused:

At least the cashier had a good sense of humor about it all.

2 Likes

Don’t forget about Culver’s. :drooling_face:

2 Likes

I noticed Walmart’s shelves were full of all kinds of ammo, which is unusual. I asked the cashier if purchases of ammo had slowed after the ammo law went into effect. She said from what she saw it had quite a bit. So either lots of shooters stocked up before Ammogedden or they are doing workarounds.

2 Likes

Experienced the same with retailers and FFLs alike. All hate these new ammo rules because they creates undue burdens for them. Ammo sellers are now required to physically STORE the documents for at least four years. Insanity. As for the RealIDs many FFLs I work with consider it a complete waste of time because the main reason why legal Californians are even being forced to obtain these is because CA is freely granting illegal immigrants CA driver’s licenses and registering them as Democratic voters.

1 Like

Ordinance requiring contractors to reveal their relationship with the NRA is prevented from action by preliminary injunction .

Judge Wilson made clear in his ruling that the ordinance was an attempt to silence NRA, writing, “In this case, the text of the Ordinance, the Ordinance’s legislative history, and the concurrent public statements made by the Ordinance’s primary legislative sponsor evince a strong intent to suppress the speech of the NRA.”

The ordinance labors to make an unsupportable connection between its disclosure requirement and the goal of reducing violent crime involving firearms, especially mass shootings. Regarding this, Wilson wrote, “The City has provided nothing to demonstrate the causal connection between pro-firearm speech and mass shootings.”

2 Likes