What's happening in California

I’m not sure about the most knowledgeable @BrophE as the rules and regs are like leaves on the wind. Just trying to keep up. The 2 forms of ID and FSC is for firearms purchases only.

@Dawn the CA DOJ conceded they cannot support establishing or regulate an ammo license card that was originally drafted, so they came up with the $1 and $19 fee which in the long run might generate more revenue over a 5 year period than a $25 fee for a license.

For ammo ID only along with these requirements, basically no out of state residents able to purchase in CA.

CA ID required
Out of state ID is a no go
Be on record with purchasing a firearm in CA and DROS’d in CA
Pay either $1 or $19 background fee

FFL will log ID information, caliber, and quantity. So the state will know who is buying, what they’re buying and how much they’re buying.

2 Likes

My mistake. I had thought I read in the initial law that an FSC met the requirement because of the required gun purchase and DROS is Ca meant we were already on file.

Time to hit Walmart and stock up on training ammo.

2 Likes

Here’s another YouTube ch I subscribe to and support his Patreon acct.

Joel has some great content reviews and interviews. He’s very active in the 2nd amendment community and lives in San Diego area of CA.

This was about a week ago and about an hour long filled with great info

2 Likes

Register for the webinar as well hosted by the NRA-ILA and CRPA

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20190604/nra-and-crpa-hosting-webinar-regarding-upcoming-california-ammunition-background-check-requirements

1 Like

ok, so let’s say you’re an IPSC competitor from Texas and want to bring oh, say, 500 rounds of your own ammo to the Steel Challenge… is that a violation to bring into the state? you can’t have it shipped to an FFL because you can’t pick it up from them without a CA ID. and you can’t buy it in CA without a CA ID, so you’d have to bring it with you in person. Can you even transport ammo on an airplane?

Steel Challenge in CA, or any firearms competition that draws interstate, is about to go out of business. :angry:

1 Like

That’s where it’s ridiculous, as a CA resident it’s a big no no to bring ammo back in from out of state, it would be considered importation.

If out of CA state, you’d have to buy the ammo, then arrange to have it shipped to an FFL in CA to go through the process in a face to face transaction.

Now if someone from out of state as a non CA resident brings ammo with them it’s supposed to be no issue.

Now the question is would you want to press your luck, not this kid. There is a lawsuit pending filed by an Olympic competitive shooter stating this has affected their ability to train and affecting their ability to remain at a competitive level.

To your point regarding competitive shooters I’m sure they already don’t like CA for compliance configurations to be featureless rifles, or mag locked. Along with 10rd capacity magazines.

Lake Piru is practically in my backyard by the way. The rules and regulations on the Steel Challenge indicating all federal, state, and local laws must be adhered to is the second line item on the sign off sheet. Now If you wish to use range ammunition then you don’t need to go through the process.

A little side note as well. You may recall the over 10rd magazine “Freedom Week” we had out here in April.

If you’re not a CA resident bringing in magazines over 10rds would be importation. As a CA resident if I take my magazines over 10rds out state and then bring them back it’s considered importation. All considered illegal.

1 Like

@KenM that is all just craziness :scream:
My hubby shot out at piru all the time he was competing, pretty much every week for years, 2500 rounds or more a week… I cant even imagine how you would be able to do that now.

So… the out of state competitors at the steel challenge are going to have to compete with 10 round mags?!

And… I’ve got a trailer I need to drive out to CA and haul back to MO… gonna have to think hard about how to do that and not break all the CA laws 1" into the state. If I have to drive all the way across country and back limited to 10 round mags and low ammo counts, just because I’ll be entering CA, I’m going to be pretty cranky about it.
If that’s true, then CA has forced me to use their more restrictive standards in EVERY state because I have to cross the CA state line at my end point. :rage:

Maybe I need to find someone to hauler my trailer to Quartzite.

1 Like

It’s unbelievable, I thought it was ridiculous in the 90s. These days it’s surreal. You have to be on point in CA and other highly restricted states with the law. The USCCA app comes in handy when checking the laws from state to state

2 Likes

By the way what kind of trailer is it? How big, how heavy, what kind of hook up? Where is it located?

1 Like

@KenM its in Poway. 24’ (IIRC) triple axle car/toy hauler box trailer with barn doors, windows. Bumper pull. You shopping? :grin:

We’re found a Cruiser Stryker 3212, it’s going to sit on my wife’s Mom and Dad’s property in Lake Havasu when we head out there we’ll have a place set up.

I was checking if it was on our flight path we might be able to swing by and drop it off to you all in AZ during one of our excursions.

Now that our son is stationed in Okinawa we don’t go towards San Diego hardly at all.

1 Like

thank you, I definitely appreciate the thought :+1:

Here’s an update the CADOJ just filed and emergency regulations requesting last minute approval to only allow Real ID to be accepted for the purchase of firearms and ammunition come July 1st 2019. If approved non Real ID CA IDs will no longer be accepted. So if in CA and haven’t purchased your ammo or had your eyes on purchasing a new firearm you may be denied if this goes through and you don’t have a Real ID.

I for one am beyond irritated and upset about this, I’ve already been buying ammunition for some time so I’m good there for both range and defense, but I have at least 3 new firearms I’m purchasing as I have some mad money coming in at the end of June, and then again at the end of July. I was figuring on purchasing in July and August. I barely have enough time these days for anything, as the office these days is full throttle Mon-Fri, I don’t have the time to go waste a day at the DMV. An appointment is usually a month out. My current license/ID is valid until 2022.

Just another game the Gov, and AG are playing putting unreasonable burdens on gun owners in CA

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20190618/california-doj-proposes-emergency-regulations-requiring-federally-compliant-ids-for-all-firearm-and-ammunition-transfers

1 Like

That serious sucks @KenM. Anything a non-CA-resident can do to help?

Thanks @Zee, all I can say is the obvious, if people are not a part of a support organization for 2nd amendment rights and protections already join both for your state and national organizations if you can.

Restrictive states are the beta test labs if you will to see what will pass, if they do pass then it’s a matter of time before it’s proposed on a national level.

I’ll be looking to get the Real ID, I would suggest that to anyone now I see how this is playing out. As my ID is valid until 2022 I figured just leave well enough alone, especially with I think I heard/read somewhere the Fed govt talking about voiding those already issued in CA since the CA DMV was found to have improperly issued them to some people who who should not have been able to get one.

You can’t make this stuff up.

2 Likes

Truth is stranger than fiction, @KenM! I just got my Motorcycle endorsement on my license and got my Real ID when I did. It was extra money (surprise) to get it all handled at once.

2 Likes

And people still wonder why I think government at all levels have become to involved in life choices and over regulation.

4 Likes

The secondary items required to get the CA Real ID do nothing to verify one is a citizen.

Utility Bills, SSN, mortgage or lease contracts, etc.

3 Likes

Crossed back into CA from AZ on the 10 freeway this past Saturday. Stopped off for gas on the AZ side. Last stop before the border. Hand printed sign said “Ammo for sale!” attached to a chainlink fence with an arrow pointing toward what normally would be a fireworks stand. Pumping out that ammo to people entering CA.

2 Likes

Damn if I had known I would have made a trip from Palm Springs to stock up.

2 Likes