What state has the best Carry laws?

Sorry @Dawn I want to throw a little monkey wrench in this one.
You already know I ride a Motorcycle.
So the way I understand it is as long as I am straddling the bike I am in the vehicle.
What if I can not reach my gun safe I have secured on the bike from that position?
Next, if I can reach it while straddling the bike at a gas station and pull out my loaded weapon from my shoulder rig to lock it in the gun safe am I now brandishing the weapon?

I solved this issue in my bike travels by avoiding the state whenever possible and to make sure I do not have to stop for anything while I am in the state on the bike.

I missed the Illinois portion of my route 66 trip for this very reason. I also only went as far as Las Vegas ) I have friends and family there) because of California’s gun laws.

Now the big monkey wrench. We broke down on the trip back (just outside of Flagstaff). I had o leave the bike there for repairs (long story) and fly back to Wisconsin. I had a few handguns with me I was not going to be able to take on a plane (bus travel at this point was not an option. I was lucky enough to know some people who had moved to that area from Wisconsin (my daughters best friend and her mother from school). I was able to leave the firearms with them until I could go back and pick them up.

My point is this, if you are making a long trip in any vehicle think about worst case scenarios if you were to break down. What would you have to do to safeguard your weapons if you had no choice but to leave them someplace that was not home?

1 Like

Great monkey wrenches to throw, @DBrogue. You raise a lot of great questions.

Traveling by motorcycle is a bit of a challenge for the sake of disarming and securing the firearm. Say for instance you’re stoping at a gas station in IL to use the restroom and you’re on a motorcycle.

Do you unholster and secure the gun in your tour pack? Is it brandishing? Do you remove the holster too? How do you not draw attention to your movements?

What if you don’t have anywhere to secure the gun on the motorcycle? What if you’re on something like a Harley Dyna that doesn’t have a tour pack?

Going south we have to go through IL or take a really long detour around the state. It’s not something I’m looking forward to. We’ll be stopping right before the IL border and just inside Indiana if we need the restroom.

Then you throw in the issue of a breakdown or a flight reroute and carrying while you travel gets a lot harder to do! There have been numerous people arrested for carrying in NY due to flights being rerouted.

It would be so much easier if there was national reciprocity…

Unfortunately I am good at making things complicated when my intent is to try and make things clearer.

1 Like

LOL! I know the feeling! Those are all good points to consider. Are you willing to risk possible illegal carrying due to rerouting or breakdowns? What are your odds? What are your options?

I’m glad to hear that you had friends in the area who could hold your handguns for you!

Indiana has a pretty good set up and it’s getting better every day. $100 lifetime. Constitutional carry in the house and Senate now. Stand your ground and castle laws passed. My rep also has a bill in 3rd reading of the Senate for protecting a (lawfull) defensive shooting from being sued in civil court.

That’s awesome, @ChrisH! I’ll be watching to see how the bill does. It boggles my mind how someone in the commission of a crime could be able to sue the person they’re attacking… :woman_facepalming:

@Dawn yeah I know. But happens all the time.

1 Like

Kansas has great CC laws. They’re Constitutional carry and most states reciprocate with their CC permits if you get one. Also, the No gun signs are not backed by law (it is not a crime to carry there). Only, the normal ones are backed by law, such as government buildings.

1 Like

IMHO…Kentucky, Texas and Idaho

Oregon is okay, with a CHL you can carry in public schools (exempt from the no weapons allowed).

Publicly funded events that say no guns allowed. CHL is exempt.

New Hampshire and Maine both have Castle doctrine and you do not need concealed carry permits

Well, NC has pretty good gun laws. First, NC is an open carry state, so as long as it’s visible you can carry it anywhere. Also we have CCW permit, of course you have to take a class, and all that, but I find it very informative, and found out there have been updates to our laws in regards to using lethal fired in defending yourself and property.
Currently there is a bill before congress to make NC a constitutional carry state, but hasn’t been passed yet.
Also we’re a Stand Your Ground State, and have adopted the newest Castle Law, which means basically you can use lethal force on someone before they enter your home, it also applies to your vehicle and your workplace.
The nice thing I’ve found by having a CCW, is the fact that I can go to any gun store and bit the handgun of my choice, fill out the required paperwork and walk out with my new gun.
Being disabled, I’m not physically able to defend myself, so I’ve researched the gun laws, and talk to law enforcement officers about the laws, and how best to protect myself legally in the event I have to use lethal force. Having USCCA is also a good idea, and I have actually talked to a few officers that had USCCA before they became police officers, they did tell me their wives still carry it.

1 Like

Gotta say I Love Where I Live. Missouri is constitutional carry, stand your ground, castle doctrine, uniform state law, no duty to inform, may be asked to leave but not a violation to carry where “no guns” is posted but otherwise legal. If we could get the school carry thing sorted out, we’d be darn near perfect.
Plus we keep trying to nullify federal firearms controls :wink:
Love living in the show-me state :purple_heart:

2 Likes

Considering that Maine is located in the typically liberal and anti-gun Northeast, we have it pretty good. Constitutional Carry (although I still maintain a permit for reciprocity, and for avoiding the “duty to inform” requirement when exercising constitutional carry), as well as Castle Doctrine are both uncommon in our part of the Nation. I just hope our Democrat-controlled government doesn’t ruin everything.

2 Likes

Indiana Is now 1 step closer. We ARE NOT constitutional carry, yet! But lifetime CCL, stand ur ground, castle law and sitting on the Governor’s desk is the Bill to NOT ALLOW civil lawsuits in a “justified” shooting!! We also have a couple more Bill’s going through the process for constitutional carry, church carry and teacher traing (state sponsored) for teachers that choose to carry ( school board approval ). Currently a bill is drafted, not in the process yet, that would make schools NOT A GUN FREE ZONE. Which would open the door even more for teachers to carry, with the added training.

1 Like

Michigan is a very firearms friendly state, however the laws themselves can be extremely confusing. We have reciprocity with a lot of other states, but we are duty to inform. Castle Doctrine, our version of stand your ground, no civil liability if found justified, signs don’t hold force of law.

Example of how our laws are confusing:

Also it pays to be up to date on case law and some legalese. Knowing the difference between Field Preemption and Exemption Preemption can really tick off some extreme left wingers.

2 Likes

I like Kentucky. They have Constitutional Carry, Open Carry and a class to get a CCDW which is recognized by most states. The class is a day long and includes a written test and live fire. It is less than $100 for the class and well worth it to get a good run down on the Kentucky State firearm laws.

3 Likes

CCW classes are usually very enlightening when it comes to the laws of the different states, @Stone. Reviewing the legal links provided in the class is a great thing to do on an almost monthly basis! Continuing your education and knowing what has changed legally can only help you.

I know, I’m one of the odd ones that finds the legal section absolutely fascinating… even if I don’t agree with a lot of the laws.

2 Likes

My wife and I both had a chuckle the day we took our CCDW class at Ft. Know because the rounds we fired in class were the least amount of rounds we’d put down range in over a year LOL!

2 Likes