What not to do!

Below is part of a warrant I had to deal with recently. There might have been a bad decision or two or three or four…

The above named defendant unlawfully, when deft and the victim were involved in a verbal dispute. Deft fired a handgun at the victim several times. Deft lives in the same residence with victim. Deft became angry with the victim when the victim mentioned deft ruining a couch by firing a hole in it with a gun. The victim’s mother grabbed deft and pushed him into another room. Deft then came out of a bedroom, armed with a gun pointed the gun at the victim. Deft then fired the gun towards the victim. The victim began walking towards his bedroom when deft fired a second shot towards the victim’s feet. The victim tried to hide in his bedroom but deft entered the room, pointing the gun at the victim. The victim attempted to take the gun from deft. Deft and the victim struggled over the gun. Deft was attempting to gouge the victim’s eye out with his fingers. Deft then put his hand in the victim’s mouth. The victim bit down on the deft’s hand and was able to get the gun from deft. The victim yelled for his mother to come and get the gun. which she did. The victim then attempted to leave the apartment. As the victim was walking to his car, deft retrieved another gun and fired the gun towards the victim as he was trying to leave.

11 Likes

There really has to be “more to the story” here… gosh… shaking my head…

7 Likes

Stupidity, temper tantrums and guns do not mix. Wow. :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

Wow. Lots of wrong going on there. Halfway through reading it, I could almost hear a crowd chanting… “Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!” :smile:

8 Likes

What comes to mind to me is the response by the defendant “Of course, I’d been drinking…”
Argh.

6 Likes

I think so, like alcohol, drugs, and/or mental illness?
@MikeBKY only highlighted gun-related stuff, but not finger-biting and eye-gouging :slight_smile:
Heavens help you if this merry family lives next door…

4 Likes

Thank goodness he was a very poor shot. He can kiss his 2A rights goodbye. :pleading_face::pleading_face::pleading_face:

6 Likes

Guns & stupid don’t mix

5 Likes

The moral of stories like these are, don’t get emotional, that’s how Liberals rule. You don’t want to be a liberal!

3 Likes

Could be a script for “Trailer Park Boys”.

3 Likes

It looks like the example is typed in using Word.doc. In Word, the first word in each sentence is capitalized by the program. “Deft” is capitalized above each time it begins a sentence, and not capitalized each time it is in the middle if a sentence. Obvious operator error. I.e., poor typing skills.

2 Likes

Deft, or deft. Defendant. That was my assumption.

2 Likes

That’s crazy… The defendant will definitely be stripped of his firearms. With all the missed shots, one must wonder about the defendant- poor aim or under the influence? I think victim & mother of victim are blessed to be alive. :v:t5:

2 Likes

When it comes to temper I ask myself two very simple questions.

1.) Is this worth dying over?

2.) Is this worth going to prison over?

If either answer is no then there is absolutely no reason to bring a firearm into the equation.

3 Likes

I would add #3. Is it worth losing my 2A rights forever?

2 Likes

I understand where you’re coming from and it’s a legitimate concern.

My personal thinking is number 2 covers that, also I like to minimize the choices. It helps me avoid paralysis from analysis

2 Likes

The warrant was written and submitted by the investigating police officer to the court. Deft is defendant. The stories of the accused and the alleged victim are somewhat different and the witnesses disagree on who instigated the confrontation.
The accused was claiming self defense and that he feared for his life. Assuming the facts of going into the room to get a firearm is true and that shots were fire in the house and again, after getting another weapon, as the victim was leaving and out of the house, all alleged to be warning shots.
This was a tough one.

2 Likes

There was NO alcohol involved.

Even worse that he can’t blame it on booze but was born that way.

3 Likes

I initially wondered why there was a hole in the couch from a bullet hole. After reading the rest of the story I’m not wondering any more.

I am still wondering about the “whole” hand in the victim’s mouth and how a finger wasn’t lost during that particular part of the melee. :thinking:

Thanks for sharing @MikeBKY

2 Likes