What not to do!

And those are the peers you can expect in the jury box.

2 Likes

Probably no more to the story. People are freaking crazy. And ignorant. And hotheaded. And entitled. Totally selfish.

3 Likes

Yes - there are people who should not be allowed in the same building with a gun present. Perhaps they should be required to wear a warning label -
to wit: If you are “carrying”, don’t let me know - I am a Nut Case.
Another Case for a mental health check for Gun Ownership.

2 Likes

to cover all the bases, car ownership as well, and dog ownership, and house ownership. Ever seen people using their house to wage war on the neighbors? There are sickos that just cannot function in society, without victimizing everyone around them.
I am not sure this is a practical conversation though. Mental health check for gun ownership is possible to implement, but only because of anti-2A attitudes. It would not be an accurate gauge of person being danger to society, nor fair, nor constitutional.

2 Likes

I believe, as much as anyone, that I/you have a God Given Right to defend
myself with whatever I/you may need.
But “I” and I assume You are “Sane” and in reasonable control of what I do
and Don’t Do.

But NOW - Things have changed - Fundamentally.
When I was in High School and College, mid-late 60’s - NO ONE EVER GOT SHOT.

At my college, we had an Armory with 2,000 M1’s in it! that we trained with!
“Required Training” at my College. And NO ONE was ever shot.
But in the Early 80’s with the development of the new Psychotropic drugs things have changed - Nation Wide.

“NOW”:
If you wait for the Tox Report - most mass shooters, especially school shooters were on a Psychotropic Drug.

Most of the Mass Shootings have been done by young white males 16-26 yo
on Psychotropic Drugs. This is a new development - starting in the early 80’s.
Instead of locking them away (like we used to) they are now treated with
drugs “at home!” - Drives them nuts, go to school and shoot everyone.
Put a stop to them and the Vast Majority of Mass Shootings will decline - a lot.

This one factor is driving the Killing and the Gun Ban movement the most - School Shootings.

Lock them up like we used too until they are sane again.
And the rising call for gun bans etc. will decline.
Not to mention the decline in School Shootings.

It is a Mental Health issue.
“THEY” have Shown “They” should NOT even have access to a gun.

Or - be a “Right Fighter”(NO Compromise) or adjustments and see what happens- more mass shootings, etc - Gun Bans, etal.

1 Like

There were 18 school shootings in the 1960s. They were not publicized nearly as much and usually had fewer fatalities, but they did happen.

Part of the situation we have now is a mental health issue (IMO). However, do you want to allow the government to mandate mental health evaluations for everyone before they get a firearm? Do you trust them to not abuse that power? Who pays for the evaluations? How do we ensure the doctors aren’t bias? How long does it take to get an eval? Why should it cost someone $$$ to exercise their Second Amendment rights?

5 Likes

Now you are onto something. You are a dangerous man, you know? Digging into common variables like this :slight_smile: I guarantee you that same ppl that say it is ok to release a patient on self-recognizance with a supply of SSRI drugs, will speak out in force against declaring these drugs dangerous, there will be decade-long pharma studies proving it ain’t so.

1 Like

I won’t dispute the numbers/demographics of school shootings, but I will ask what about the other gun violence that is so much more prevalent than school shootings?

In 2019, there were 25 school shootings, 8 killed, 43 injured.
*The School Shootings of 2019: What's Behind the Numbers

In 2019, there were 492 murdered in Chicago. In recent years the demographics are 75% African American men doing the shooting.

One similarity between these two areas is the gun control / gun free zones in each area.

1 Like

You can classify acts of violence. Some are terrorism, or gang-related, or revenge or crimes of passion. These are possible to comprehend, read Romeo and Juliet for example. But then there are these inexplicable shootings, when a person noone would suspect suddenly goes ballistic. That scares the lights out of me.

2 Likes

My objective is retaining the rights we currently have.
That is - Good, responsible people, not mentally impaired, criminal, a threat, etc having access to whatever defense/weapon they need.

I didn’t say it would be Easy. :slight_smile:
Taking on Big Pharma and the Dr’s they pay-off, +, would be a challenge - to say the least. But they have Earned it. Then there is the HIPPA issue.

1 Like

The 492 murdered in Chicago - ie Gun Free Zones - is another Drug issue of a different kind. Crack, Ice, Coke, Molly, etc (And other major cities)

That is a socio-economic issue needing a different approach and beyond my feeble brain to even consider solutions.

Young Black Men and younger don’t have the opportunities whites do to make good money/living by honest work - due to the still lingering Racial Bias issues.
So they go into the very Lucrative “Street-Drug Trade”.
Good money, fast - but deadly from several standpoints.

Gun Free Zones ?- see my other post on that issue.
Defines “Counter-Intuitive”.
I call them “Gun Free Kill Zones”.

ps I am a long time NRA Member and Competition Shooter:
Combat - Pistol, Multi-gun, Rifle.

1 Like

Inexplicable shootings - ie goes ballistic.
Again: Psyco Drugs

Also:
Our returning Vets from the wars(Iraq, Afgan, etc) with “PTSD” were also issued the same psyco drugs. AND - yup - Veteran Suicide rates far exceeded any rates from any previous conflict. Not very smart but I know a trend/correlation when I see it.
I do not minimize the trauma of Fighting in Iraq and Afganistan - IED’s etal.
But the Marines and Army in WWII in places like
Tarawa, Iwo Jima, Okinawa - God Awful - Went thru Hell too.

I hated calculating Correlations in Advanced Statistics but at least I can recognize one now that is obvious.

1 Like

1 Like

Alex, what did you do about a sensitivity analysis? I don’t buy the SSRI demonization.

1 Like

1 Like

What is sensitivity analysis?
I am not a pharmacist, nor an MD, and I don’t claim to understand all the side effects. It does seem that SSRI prescription had been a theme in many of the mass shootings, starting with Columbine. Of course, it could be because the criminals were not mentally OK to start with, and were receiving treatment for their disorders. I don’t know what is cause and what is effect, but it seems there are no serious studies either

1 Like

You know I dint ever remember being training to doing warning shots!
I am a bit asine about mental health Doctors and the DA wanted me to go for counseling and my ATTY shut him down fast,this is in regards to the SD issue in Wa.
When I was getting discharged in 67 i had to go see a counseled,because of what my unit did, when I went in i asked if he was ever in a combat zone,he said no then i ask him if he had caused the death of any one,he said no,then i asked him how in the heck he would ever be able to counsel me when he had never been in that situation and I walked out and got my discharge.
There are too many mind control drugs that are legally given

2 Likes

Mental health checks b4 children in some cases, too, since we’re talking about having them for everything else

2 Likes

This is a very difficult subject with respect to SSRIs. I know folks who left the service with PTSD and all of its horrors that never reported anything because of the stigma related to it. There’s the joke about 2/3 of the population now being treated for anxiety depression and other psychological ailments with SSRIs. The remaining 1/3 remains untreated.
I do not question your statistics @DEFENDER, but I do question your solution. Locking 1/2 the population in asylums seems pretty cruel. Are we going to put all of these people through the legal process to take away their liberties? And I cannot imagine the cost of doing so.

2 Likes

@Alex–the sensitivty analysis comment wasn’t for you–sorry–it is for @DEFENDER and the comments on PTSD/SSRIs. To accurately attribute one cause to a problem when there a multitude of possible causes involved requires a sensitivity analysis to determine the likelihood each possible cause would have on the problem. I don’t think it’s been done, and to @MikeBKY’s point, there are a lot of people in the country on them. I would submit that there are a lot of people on them who aren’t killing themselves or commiting crimes.

2 Likes