What has USCCA taught you?

Whether you learned from a class, a video, a presentation, an article or otherwise, we’d love to know what being part of the USCCA has taught you. For instance, have you been in a situation in which you thought of a tactic or a tip from USCCA that helped you make a wise decision? Have you had a conversation with someone and used a quote or an idea you found through USCCA? While you may not have had the experience of defending life, have you been able to avoid, escape, or deescalate a situation because of training you’ve received through USCCA? We’d love to hear your short stories of success!

7 Likes

I’ve learned that I very much value your articles, and my lovely wife loves reading anything from you.

As for USCCA, I’ve learned that there appears to be just as many extremists on the right as on the left, judging by the forums.

7 Likes
  1. Walk away from trouble if I can :notes:
  2. If 1 is not possible, to zip it until I’ve talked to them*.

10 Likes

Much common sense about protection around the home. For example, strange noise at night outside or inside, don’t try to clear the house, wait, listen, then investigate. Have a plan. Use my security system better and let it do its job. Alertness outside the home, and avoiding issues while traveling out of state or even in state. De escalation is an acceptable strategy always (used this on two occasions.) Hate to say it, but have found that there is more than being in a state of perpetual awareness and being ready than avoiding the situation to begin with. The biggest learning, there is much I do not know and need to actively train. I will be taking classes this summer As they become available. There is much more than being able to draw your firearm without shooting yourself in the foot and being able to bullseye a target at the range. Lastly, what do I do if the worst happens. My gut reaction before would be to appease law enforcement and talk with them to get it over quicker, however there is a much better way to handle that, being that I am not a legal genius (or a genius for that matter.)

I live in a very red state, with very broad laws covering self defense however that does make it difficult to know precisely what the limits are.

4 Likes

I have learned that I need to learn the laws of the state I live in. If I go on a vacation, plan a route that won’t take me through NJ, CA, NY and similar states. Nothing in those states I want to see anyways.

9 Likes

Just yesterday I went to gas up at 711 and when i was trying to move forward into the pump this man cuts through and almost hits my car and started yelling obscenities at me and parked his vehicle to go inside 711. I decided to leave and gas up down the road. Who knows what could’ve happened if I stayed there to gas up. USCCA trains you to avoid and I remembered that in this situation.

10 Likes

I learned the difference between being armed and responsibly armed.

9 Likes

These are great answers, y’all! Keep them coming! I love the short details… I may be able to use some of them (anonymously) in upcoming blogs, if that’s OK!!!

7 Likes

The “Ask an attorney” videos have been extremely informative. The articles & assessments of shooting situations are fantastic but the " ask an attorney" vids are so good.

7 Likes

USCCA has trained my mental prospective about how to handle whatever comes upon me and my loved ones.
How to make the correct actions and decisions if or when needed.
Taught me responsibility, not only about being armed but also in everything I may do.
An extreme view of safety in handling and storing firearms and ammunition.

4 Likes

I would like to respond to that in full @Beth but I would be rambling on and on. I have though learned a lot from the videos and being on the community chat. I have found that situational awareness has protected me from problems of unknown amounts. I have also with having been a USCCA Instructor helped and trained others in self-defense and it is rewarding to have made a difference in other people’s lives.
I am sure you know what I mean.
Even on the community here, being able to reach out with questions or information that may or will help others is really nice. Chatting and getting somewhat familiar with the regular community friends with similar likes and all sorts of information that is out there!

4 Likes

I have learned more techniques for de-escalating situations and avoiding further confrontation, and simple awareness. One of my recent encounters was when I was in my local Walmart and a guy came out of an aisle, resulting in the two of us almost walking into each other. I said “excuse me” but he instantly had a little bit of rage in his eyes.

I was not afraid of him but I didn’t want to get into an unnecessary incident with him. Noticing that he had on an Alabama football shirt and hat, I smiled and said “Roll Tide”. He immediately exhaled, smiled, and said “Roll Tide brother”, and we went on about our day. I am not an Alabama fan but I understand how to get the right response from football fans here in the South.

8 Likes

Don’t tell me you’re a Georgia fan. Or worse Auburn!:rofl::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

I’m actually not even a fan of any sports team.

9 Likes

Avoidance and awareness.

7 Likes

Training, training, training and good insurance

5 Likes

USCCA has changed the way how I look at the everyday life. It made me stronger physically (tactical
training, firearm classes, USCCA courses, frequent range visits, everyday workout) and mentally (USCCA Video Series, Self-defense/Gun Laws Legal Seminar organized by USCCA).
PIstol Classes and DSF training taught me how to avoid confrontations and how to properly react in case these happened. That being said - I learned how to make wise decisions.

I must also admit, the big part of my everyday learning comes from this Community…
I posted this 17 months ago… and these words are still up to date. :handshake:

This Community is the best thing happened to me for last few years.
My involvement into firearm business was a tough decision for me.
But USCCA’s Community made it easier within few weeks, once I found out what actually “carrying” means.
Most good advices came from here. Then checking, testing and applying them have made me a person who I am right now.
I started from “ZERO” to become NRA Certified Instructor, NRA RSO and I fully responsible and trusted person within firearm society in short time. I can admit - 99% of my wins were thanks to USCCA Community. [Jerzy - March 2021]

6 Likes

I have learned a lot in my 2 years. Yes, I am constantly running scenarios through my head when I am out and about. Situational awareness is always on my mind now.

8 Likes

It has definitely enhanced my situational awareness.
Git my wife and I definitely taking the time to understand the legal aspects of self defense. It is no where near cut and dried as we used to think.
I am constantly looking at real life events with a different perspective now.

And also know there is still so much to learn…

4 Likes

I thank the USCCA community in general for my increased state of awareness. There are a lot of people here who have shared their experiences, which in turn helps me make better decisions when I’m out and about on a daily basis.

6 Likes