Security Training

Hey everyone. I’m new to USCCA threads, but not new to USCCA. I spoke with someone about the topic of training that USCCA does not offer here and he said I should bring it to the chat line, so here I am.
So I have been working in security for several years now, and I have started building a security ministry at my church. USCCA has a couple of great books on the topic of protecting houses of worship, but not a lot of practical training as the primary focus is on proper firearms training. But protection is not just limited to knowing how to use a gun. I built a class on conflict resolution that I taught at my church. I also have in the works other topics such as keeping children, safe at the church, radio etiquette, knowing the structure of your place of worship as a security team, When to implement and how to handle lockdowns, recognizing a threat, along with several others. I think that these are essential things to have a handle on, especially to protect the house of worship. But some of them extend beyond the protection of a church, such as conflict resolution. It has real world potential that can de-escalate a situation before a gun becomes necessary. I want to know what peoples thoughts are on the topic and if other people agree with me that this would be a good thing for USCCA to offer, perhaps even build some training classes for instructors to be able to teach these things to other church security members.

3 Likes

@Justan Welcome to the community! Looks like you have a great thing going. Do you have some kind of a master plan blueprint instructional step by step security training book/manual that copies can be shared with all house of worship churches that have security members that can follow procedures and train in the same manner? Not sure how deep you are in your area, and you seem to be pretty successful in what you have going, but it would be nice to configure a master training manual, then get with USCCA to publish it. My thoughts!

3 Likes

I’m somewhat in the starting phases. I built and taught the conflict resolution class and it was well received. The other topics I am working on and collaborating with some other church security members from other local churches. I hadn’t thought of publishing, but I do like the idea! I will definitely have to consider that for the future!

4 Likes