Church Safety Team Training

Good Morning, I’ve recently become a part of my church safety team. I know that USCCA has alot of training material but without having to spend a ton of time searching through all of it does USCCA have any church specific training materials, videos, etc?

I’m currently the only USCCA member on the team (hoping to change that) so I’d like to educate myself and share what I learn.

Thanks

6 Likes

Welcome

2 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Vipertech1971 and there are some videos on the USCCA training module in the Proving Grounds section which gives some good scenarios on church safety.

2 Likes

Welcome Vipertech 1971

our team started 1/1/23 we are using the book
Keep Your Church Safe by Ron Aguiar
purchased from USCCA
Angie with USCCA has been a huge support to our ministry
there is a lot of great info available on the site

4 Likes

If you call and order the education books over the phone they can offer a 20% discount, currently (not sure how long that will go), BTW.

ALso the countering the mass shooter threat is a qualification level 3 course in the protector academy (Elite membership level)

6 Likes

This training is also adaptable to any organization, assembly, or gathering.

5 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Vipertech1971. Glad to have you with us. Perhaps you would consider becoming an instructor? This way you would be in a better position to utilize the wealth and depth of training materials and resources to meet your assembly’s needs or expectations.

3 Likes

There are a few good resources out there. It’s been a while for me because my church security team disbanded after someone in the diocese removed us from the insurance coverage. (Edited after Tim’s response below; so as not to mislead anyone) So that was the end of that for us. I think step one would be to make sure you’ve got appropriate insurance coverage.

Having said that, there was some decent online training from a company called Strategos Intl. It looks like they’ve made some changes to their online training content, but this is the group:
https://strategosintl.com/

I also got a few nuggets from this site:

4 Likes

Hello and welcome @Vipertech1971

3 Likes

@Jim80 I would like to clarify this so others have the correct information.

You are referring to the occupational use exclusion of the Self-Defense Liability Insurance Policy that USCCA Members have access to. Occupational Exclusion is defined as:

(1) Any “insured’s” conduct in providing any kind of law enforcement, corrections,
recovery, repossession, emergency medical, fire or rescue services, whether or not
for compensation or a fee, including any injury or damage caused by or arising from
such conduct.

(2) Any “insured’s” conduct in providing security or safety services for monetary
compensation or a fee, including any injury or damage caused by or arising from
such conduct.

The key part of the security services is whether or not you are being compensated for those services.

9 Likes

Thank you for the clarification!! I was going from what I remembered reading a couple of years ago and I should have double checked the current policy.

5 Likes

Common misconception, glad it was cleared up. Many churches reimburse their team members for the membership fees because they end up with a better trained team AND it reduces their own liability if a shooting was to occur.

And for the OP, look into a group class of Defensive Shooting Fundamentals. The class is life changing and will provide the most comprehensive foundation for the team focusing on the mechanics and psychology of a SD armed encounter.

2 Likes

David,

What’s the process to become an instructor? I’m currently just beginning Level 1 of Protector Academy.

4 Likes

@Vipertech1971 The first step will be finding a training counselor in your area to take the two-day Certified Instructor course.

You can search for classes near you here: https://academy.usconcealedcarry.com/search

6 Likes
4 Likes

Great, thanks for the information.

3 Likes

Your response in #1 reads that the exclusion applies “whether or not for compensation or a fee”. Please explain you comment,
“The key part of the security services is whether or not you are being compensated for those services.”

1 Like

I think Tim was clear on the safety/security
he did not include it in line 1
he had it separated into line 2

2 Likes

1 and 2 are not the same

Occupational Use
(1) Any “insured’s” conduct in providing any kind of law enforcement, corrections,
recovery, repossession, emergency medical, fire or rescue services, whether or not
for compensation or a fee, including any injury or damage caused by or arising from
such conduct.
(2) Any “insured’s” conduct in providing security or safety services for monetary
compensation or a fee, including any injury or damage caused by or arising from
such conduct.

The whether or not for compensation or a fee is law enforcement, corrections, recovery, repossession, emergency medical, fire, or rescue services. This is under (1)

security or safety services is under (2).

The stuff at (2) is what is applicable to volunteer church security and it states " for monetary
compensation or a fee"

Tim directly quoted from the UFCIC policy on which members are additional insureds.

https://www.deltadefense.com/public/self-defense-liability-policy.pdf

All of which is to say, volunteer church security (not for monetary compensation or a fee) is not itself an exclusion from coverage for any lawful act of self defense not otherwise excluded

5 Likes