What happens to your firearms when you pass?

I was recently at an estate sale that had a ton of hunting items - but no guns. The family had turned in the guns to be destroyed :frowning:

Not trying to be morbid here, but do you have a plan for what is going to happen to your firearms when you die?

3 Likes

Yes. I think itā€™s foolish not to. Same with my tools.

2 Likes

My wife has already been told to sell any guns that are either too big, or too powerful for her, and use that money to buy ammo for the ones that she can handle. If it after my son is a little older, he gets the guns. I donā€™t care if he sells the polymer guns, but I told him to definitely keep anything made of metal.

4 Likes

When he end is getting near, grease them up, wrap them up. put them in something water tight and bury them so you can dig them up in your next life :):grinning:

6 Likes

Ya know, itā€™s a gap. We havenā€™t specified exactly. Gonna have to fix that.

3 Likes

A lucky relative, who is already a responsible firearms owner, inherits them. Course if the law changes, my wife gets to live in a new retirement home called prison. No new man her her life.:slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

My daughters and grandsons (and granddaughters if any come along) will get any firearms I have. I do not want to see them destroyed.

2 Likes

A very good decision, but what if she goes before you?

I donā€™t have any collector pieces or anything specialā€¦well, except for sentimental valueā€¦but I want ALL of my firearms to go to someone I can depend on keeping them and then passing them on to someone else who would do the same. I have some airguns too that are pretty dandy and Iā€™d love to see some youngster somewhere get one of those who will be responsible with it and have a lot of fun. Anyone (with responsibility and common sense) but the government or some scheister just looking to make a buck.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll take the insurance and buy a Corvette, and more guns.

I have everything written down, what I have, the model and serial#, approximate minimum value. I have asked someone that I trust to help my family do what they want with them, Iā€™ve also told my family who I want to have what. I have a fair share of guns, and I want them to be passed on to people that will treat them well when itā€™s my time to move on to the next place. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I have or had quite a few wheel guns. They were cheap in the day , but today a good Smith or Colt has a value of unreal figures for the average man . At 70 yrs young I have passed them all over to my 2 sonā€™s with the order they can not sell them till I die . I also get to shoot them upon request . Autoā€™s are great but I grew up on a wheel except in Vietnam . Great to meet u guyā€™s .

4 Likes

Welcome to the Community, @Dwight! Thank you for your service!

Do you have them go shoot with you when you want to shoot the revolvers, @Dwight? I love meeting my kids for some range time!

1 Like

Dawn our range time is spent at my house in the Corpus Christi west side surrounded by at least a mile of farm land ea. way .

2 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome, @Dwight! My kids have to meet me at a range, but I would love to have property where I could shoot!

1 Like

I havenā€™t made any arrangements yet, something I should do.
I just hope if I pass before any arrangements I make that my wife
doesnā€™t sell them for what I told her I paid for them!!!

2 Likes

You know I do not think mom, me and my brother actually discussed anything about my dads guns (that are actually owned by the family trust). Guess we kinda assumed they are mine to shoot since my brother keeps his long gun he used for hunting with me for safe keeping from a 6 year old and since he has not fired it since the 90s, and I get to clean his gun every 6 months for him and shoot it when I want to. And my brother did take the crossbow to his house and will be taking some of the long bows and maybe the compound bow.

As far as me and my wife goes which ever of us goes first gets everything, then my brother, else my nephew (the aforementioned 6 yr old).

Three of my dads guns are special and I would like to see them around for a long time. The Sears (Marlin) 22, the Ithaca Model 37, and the Jap 7.7.

All the rest of the guns we have are nice guns, but no special sentimental attachment.

1 Like

I know a lot of people who say that, @Edward4! Welcome to the Community!

1 Like

I think maybe that should be ā€œspouseā€ not ā€œwifeā€ :grin:

1 Like

Mine all go to my LE buddy, he already has the RFID access cards to the safe and has been instructed to enter the house and remove them to his possession.

2 Likes