What do you think of the Alien Gear Holster ShapeShift System

What do you think of the Alien Gear Holster ShapeShift System… I am new to this and I found this system that you buy and it does IWB, OWB and so much more.

I would like to hear from others about the pros and cons of this system, thanks

https://aliengearholsters.com/shapeshift-modular-holster-system.html

2 Likes

I use the hook and loop set for my car. I have it on the trans tunnel next to my knee.

I also have the pocket carry mod and it was my first pocket carry holster. I found a better one, but I still keep is as a backup.

There is a wall mount plate that I had screwed into the inside top drawer of my night stand that I used to keep my gun in when I slept. But I have since switched to a Vaultek slider safe mounted on the side of my nightstand.

I also have a couple of the mounts on my backpack’s shoulder straps so if I need to I can just attach the holster and dual magazine holder to that. When I don’t need them nobody is the wiser as to what the mounts are for.

For the price it’s a good system to start out with. The hook and loop, pocket and mag holsters you’ll need to buy the addons. You will find other holsters out there that are better. Even though I don’t use most of the set on a daily basis, I like having it as a backup.

1 Like

Do you know what position you want to carry?

I’ve praised in the past, but I’ve kind of turned away from them. They are cheaply made IMO. I have one and it worked, many people on here use them.

I like the holster has a tactile “click”. What I don’t like is I believe the trigger is exposed on the opposing side of the Kydex trigger. Whether that’s really a big deal is up to you.

Anything that does everything is never going to the best at anything. It’s not going to be the best hybrid. It’s not going to be the best owb, its not going to be the best aiwb. It’s also a pretty bulky holster.

I would actually recommend something like a Vedder. It’s not my holster anymore. I like all Kydex holsters. I know for certain the gun is secure and the trigger is covered. I can carry a Vedder aiwb or 3:00.

If you want a hybrid holster, I highly recommend getting one that does not have adjustable screws. The leather in a hybrid holster breaks in and can loosen up. You might have to tighten the holster, but you use heat instead of screws. Screws and leather are too many variables IMO.

Holsters are a very personal thing. I have a bunch of them, some I like and some I don’t. :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

This is not the case. There is a backing plate you put on that covers the other side of the trigger.

2 Likes

One thing I forgot to mention is the tension is adjustable and you can even get thumb releases. But like @Scoutbob says is is a cheaper quality system, but not a bad place to start if you’re not sure how you are going to be carrying in the end.

Also if you switch up guns, you just need to get the shell part for the new model.

3 Likes

You are correct! I should have checked. This is actually a big plus if you want to carry a “Hybrid style holster”. You get adjustable retention, a tactile “click”, and the comfort of a hybrid.

The really cool thing is you can buy more shells and use the same system for a different firearm. I haven’t done it myself because I’ve moved to different holster. If you want to carry 4:00, this is a really good option imho. You can also buy the set in pieces. When I bought my hybrid I was not interested in owb apt AIWB.

2 Likes

:+1: definitely agree.

Great option if your starting from scratch. You could also do much much worse :joy:.

2 Likes

I think that there are also a few threads about this already. It may be worth a search.

1 Like

I’ve been using for over two years now and like it. I switch between between iwb and aiwb depending on what I’m doing. Iwb at 4 o’clock works well for me if im going to be driving.

2 Likes

What’s AIWB??

2 Likes

Appendix Inside the Waste Band

1 Like

I have the Shape Shift for my M&P Shield 9mm and I love it.

3 Likes

I have this and the shoulder harness add on. I like the fact that I can change my carry type in minutes depending need for that day. I’m going to get the drop leg and backpack add on soon. Also Alien Gear has excellent customer service and support. I had an issue on a Sunday sent a message expecting to get a response Monday but was contacted and issue resolved in 15 minutes… on a Sunday

1 Like

I see you have the clips at two levels can I ask why and what spot do you carry in? I am thinking about 4pm

1 Like

Sturdy enough for a 5” 1911?

1 Like

The clips set the cant and ride height and I carry at about 4:30

1 Like

Yes it is sturdy enough for a 1911

2 Likes

Firearm dimensions: Length - 6.75 in (3.3 in barrel), Height 5 in, Width 1 in, Loaded Weight 33 oz

Been using it for about 2 years now:
AIWB - Bulky and uncomfortable. Firearm felt secure and concealed very well. Can’t easily tuck shirt in.

IWB 3:30-5 o’clock - Extremely comfortable and conceals well. Lots of customization for ride height and cant to balance concealability and optimize grip purchase for draw. Tuckable. My favorite all around carry method for this holster. Slightly bulkier than a dedicated IWB hybrid or kydex holster, but I have those too for other pistols and I don’t feel like I’m missing anything.

Paddle - Sticks out too far and feels flimsy. Not much experience carrying it this way. Tough to get the level II retention mechanism to work well; I wouldn’t count on being successful under stress.

OWB Slide - A joy to carry it like this when able. Holds close to the body, doesn’t shift, conceals easily under a top layer. My favorite when concealment isn’t a factor.

Conclusion: If you think you might go back and forth between IWB and OWB strong side this is a very good option. Wouldn’t recommend for appendix, go with a dedicated AIWB for that. Do not recommend if paddle is what you want.

3 Likes

@AZJustMe2021 , That’s what I carry at 4 o’clock and the clips being like that is for the proper cant angle. If you play with it you can adjust it to your comfort level.

1 Like

If I was to take the clip on the right and move it down a notch the firearm would be straight up and down.

2 Likes