Holster Hunting

We all have a bunch of holsters we purchased but later realized we didn’t care for.

From kydex holsters that just fit over the trigger, to leather holsters that cover almost the entire firearm, there are so many different sizes and shapes to choose from.

What are some of the weirdest holsters you’ve tried and liked? What have you tried and not liked?

3 Likes

I am not a fan of the Crossbrees Reckoning holster. I don’t like having screws with leather. The retention at the trigger isn’t great to me. Reholsterong doesn’t work for me.

The leather, screws and retention piece are too many variables for my comfort.

I like all kydex holsters. Simple, slightly less comfortable, but easy to clip on, concealable and safe.

2 Likes

Kydex firearm and spare mag holsters have all been awesome (Tulster). Really disliked the Transformer Alien Gear setup. Have some cheap cordura type ones that serve their purpose (Bulldog or Ace, for instance), but aren’t first choice.

2 Likes

I have a crossbreed holster for my 1911…no matter what I try it just doesn’t feel secure…I purchased from bass pro and none of their videos on adjustments seem to “fit” my holster…but maybe its just me.

2 Likes

Shoulder holster: not really weird but no matter where i set the ride height it was rubbing something raw. I just couldn’t find a comfortable place with it. Holster side or magazine carry side.

Took me a long time to settle on my Barsony pocket holster. But it works great! Very secure and very quick draw. Less than a second from holstered to on point.

Aliengear hook and loop for their shape shift holster.

I’ve got the giant velcro square on the side of my trans tunnel next to my knee, and the holster just sticks to it. You’ve got quite a bit of flexibility in position and cant angle.

With the shape shift you can adjust the retention, even going as far as to have a thumb release.

https://aliengearholsters.com/shapeshift-hook-and-loop-expansion-pack-with-velcro.html

1 Like

I have learned that I don’t like so-called “universal” holsters! I’m indifferent toward leather holsters. 🤷🏾

:point_right:t5: I’m a kydex fan. I like holsters cut specifically for specific pistols. I like that audible sound you hear when your pistol is locked into that custom kydex. Admittedly, they are rigid & can dig into you in certain positions but I accept that.

Has anyone tried that Urban Carry holster that’s leather & kydex, merged into one? :thinking:

:v:t5:

1 Like

Very 1st one i had was a versacarry seeemed like a good idea until I figured I could still shoot myself as only one side of the trigger was covered. That started my search.

I’m all about using duct tape to tape my pistol to my back Die Hard style. It serves 2 roles…both to securely hold my pistol in a way I can retrieve it and cheap hair removal.

I tried appendix tape carry once, but when I was forced to remove my pistol before bed, my scream caused my dog to flee for it’s life, my wife to reconsider marrying me, my child to need therapy at great expense to me, and my neighbors called the cops…though it did leave me with silky smooth skin.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Rock it like Nicholas Cage. Done.

3 Likes

My EDC is a “kybrid” holster from ProTEQ, kydex and horsehide. But I guess it doesn’t really fit the topic, because I like it a lot.

2 Likes

Ok, I was going to say that this should be cross-posted to favorite gun memes, but yikes, it’s actually a real holster. :crazy_face:

Cool… I never heard of that brand. All that matters is that YOU like it. There are so many companies out there making great products right now. I hope that innovation continues because that keeps the industry moving forward & gun-owners excited! :100:

:v:t5:

1 Like

I have a Crossbreed Pac-Mat, Alien Gear Cloak Mod, and a Versacarry Commander holster for my PPQ SC. I like the Kydex on the Crossbreed and Alien Gear a little bit better than the all-leather Versacarry. Nothing wrong with the Versacarry as it is well-made and is a fine holster but the Kydex seems to hold the pistol a little bit more securely. It may be the “click” you feel of the form-fitment but I like it better than the friction fit of the leather.

1 Like

The Barsony pocket holster. This is my everyday carry holster. There is a knob just above the rear sight for pushing the holster off the piece. And notice the hook at the bottom; this hook catches the end of my pants pocket as I draw. I expect that this is not for everyone but it is working out great for me.

Nice holster weapon could use a little work. Lol

Remember “clip on ties”? They still make em? Back in the day, did own one. Got a variety of holsters, still testing some out.

“Clip on” belt holster?: Is it wrong? LOL. (Albeit, a lil less secure, some days feel like a clip on day). I’ll never live it down. I’m a nerd.

To me, people use things that are easy to use. I’ll never own a holster that I have to feed through loops. I wear a belt only when I’m going to carry. The holster and mag holster always clip on and off easily and quickly, so I use them.

2 Likes