First Holster: Love it or hate it?

I remember buying my first holster and was so excited to use it. As those of you who already carry know, there’s a lot of trial and error with holsters. I tried my first holster and didn’t like it. :frowning:

I did eventually find a holster I love - and I’m always on the lookout for a new holster to try.

Did you love your first holster?

• Yes
  • No
  • It was OK with some adjustments

0 voters

Below, please share what your first holster was and what you learned from it.

1 Like

I found out quickly I’m not a fan of pancake holsters. My favorite is owb kydex followed by appendix kydex holsters. I have an appendix holster that is very comfortable. IWB at 8 o’clock is my other option, but nowhere near as comfortable.

3 Likes

My first holster was a custom leather left handed IWB for a 1911 SoB carry. Saddle soaped the stew out of it, inserted 1911 and kept it under mattress for a week. Came out soft and smooth as butter as if the leather had been poured around that 1911. Still have that holster and the 1911, still keep the 1911 in it. I just don’t use it any more, to much damage to my right shoulder and lower back, from other stuff , for it to be comfortable.

2nd holster was a custom leather shoulder rig, did the same with it, for the same 1911. Still have the holster. Have used it off and on.

4 Likes

I like the holster that I have now as it’s a magnetic JM4, but now that I’m carrying 2 guns on me I’m getting a shirt holster that can carry 2 guns with spare mags for each.

4 Likes

I remember mine too and, I bought a nylon like a idiot to save money.

6 Likes

My first holster came with my little .380. It was a pocket sock lol. I hated it. I eventually bought a CrossBreed IWB MiniTuck.

2 Likes

My first, and still everyday, holster was a Vedder LightTuck IWB. I bought an AlienGear ShapeShift modular system for an OWB option but I don’t particularly care for it.

2 Likes

My first firearm was PPQ, so finding a good holster wasn’t a big deal.
I bought ShapeShift OWB Modular Holster from Alien Gear Holsters and that one was perfect !

2 Likes

:nerd_face::nerd_face::nerd_face: O no you dnt’t Randall

2 Likes

My first holster was a Flashbang Capone. I voted I loved it, with some adjustments. The adjustment being to keep tightening the bolts every so often. 3 years later, I still wear it quite often, and when I dress nice. It’s my only tuckable holster, so, it gets the nod when a tucked in shirt is called for. I leaned that a tuckable, hybrid, with an adjustable cant is the way to go most of the time.

3 Likes

I voted no because I can’t remember much about it other than it was plastic and just not very good. It’s funny, just this afternoon my wife opened up my gear cabinet, opened one of the holster boxes and instructed me to part ways with some of them…

2 Likes

My first holster was a leather soft wall paddle holster that was floppy with my 4" SA XD. I then bought a Blackhawk Serpa with retention and a nice leather one for dress.

2 Likes

Uncle Mike’s IWB. Still have it and wear it daily.

2 Likes

Oh noo @Robert8!

Do you use nylon?

For anybody who does remember it’s perspective. I did not mean to offend. What works for you might not me.

2 Likes

Randall, I have one of those sticky holsters that I never use but mainly I use the BellyBand but on occasion I have a kydex/leather. I like all of them.

2 Likes

Hey! That’s even better! If you can do any of them you have advantage.

2 Likes

First holster only had the Ulticlip. Great idea, but it didn’t work for me under my belt. Works great without a belt, but that’s uncommon for me. Owner of company was kind enough to reply to my emails, but said that no belt clip was available for the holster.

I did where it once with sweatpants and it worked well.

3 Likes

My first holster was an Alien Gear for a Stoeger Cougar. I did love it and have Alien Gear holsters for my Glocks. Unfortunately (at last check), Alien Gear doesn’t make shells for Glocks with mounted lasers/lights. I am looking forward to trying CrossBreed.

3 Likes

I said that my first holster was OK because it did what I wanted it to do for the time being. I had an Uncle Mike’s cloth IWB holster with a belt clip on it. I bought it so that I would have something that fit my firearm so that I could begin carrying and it served that purpose great. I knew that it would wear out before too long being made of cloth fabric so I quickly started looking for my replacement. I now carry a generic suede leather holster that I bough at a gun show from a dealer here in South Carolina and I absolutely love it. It fits my firearm perfectly the way I want it to, is extremely comfortable to wear IWB and will certainly last a little longer before it begins to wear out. I believe in getting my money’s worth out of my gear.

3 Likes

Galco Summer Special, leather. Zero retention, loved the comfort. Switched to BladeTech Kydex holster with some retention and have used it for past 12 years. Even though it’s cracked down centerline there is enough retention that my weapon won’t fall out if I execute an FBI somersault!
Really like this style of holster for a couple of reasons. Love the sound of my weapon clicking into place, and very comfortable for deep, deep concealment.
Unfortunately they don’t make my model anymore because I’m old now, and no one uses 1911’s anymore, everything produced today is for Glock, Glock, Glock! Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!
Also have Galco VHawk which is too cumbersome.

3 Likes