First Holster: Love it or hate it?

My first, many years ago was a universal (not made for a specific model) and it just didn’t work well.

4 Likes

Was A Big Bulky Alien Gear, a pain to put on. I am not carrying a bazooka for Pete’s sake!

3 Likes

The first holster I bought for my Kahr was a Crossbreed super-tuk. Loved it, worked great in the beginning of my “carrying journey” since I was carrying in the 4:00 position. But as the holster started breaking in and the leather started softening up, the problems started to present themselves. The super-tuk had to much leather for the sub- compact. My love handles were pushing the leather to where it was in the way of the grip, affecting my draw. I should have gone with the mini-tuk. However it was nothing an X-Acto knife couldn’t fix. That was when I was first carrying, now I carry more around the 2:00 position, so I’ve had to trim it a few more times till I got it right for me. Sometimes you got to make the holster your own. I’m still working on the love handles.

2 Likes

First holster was a generic nylon one that I bought primarily to carry at the range and just have it secured in something when at the house. It worked ok for that and that’s what I primarily used holsters for (something to secure the weapon in in the home in the safe (personal safe at the time not a proper gun safe) and to maybe carry the weapon around while at the range.

So several years back when I decided to start carrying, I did a bunch of research and it only took me a couple different iterations to find the correct holster that works for me.

My biggest takeaway is nylon holsters are for storing weapons not for carrying weapons (with the exception of drop leg and/or molly rigs)

2 Likes

I didn’t care for my first holster, but it was more my fault than a bad holster. The angle and ride height of the gun I ordered the holster for were all wrong for me. I ended up drilling a bunch of additional holes in the leather back and moved the kydex around until I figured things out… then I ordered another holster which I still use today.

2 Likes

That’s an awesome solution to avoid buying a bunch of holsters!

3 Likes

@Dawn LOL, I wish I could tell you it saved me from buying a bunch of holsters… Kydex thickness, leather vs synthetic backers, full kydex vs hybrid, belt loops vs belt clips… I also have a tackle box full of sonic fishing lures :slight_smile: But on the bright side I do know what cant and depth to order the latest and greatest holster with! On some level I must enjoy tinkering around looking for that last little bit of improvement from my equipment cause I have been doing it for years.

4 Likes

Well, the silver lining is that you know your gear very well! :wink:

5 Likes

@Dawn I apparently did not hate it but I’m not sure if I liked it that much. I actually liked the original holster but wanted to change the belt clips on both ends. I still have it along with the other 27 holsters I have purchased over time. I could likely buy a couple guns for what I have purchased in holsters.

3 Likes

My first gun was a Ruger Security 9 and when I had bought it, it was still very new on the market. So as a result I had a hard time finding a holster for it (a lesson that I’m never going to repeat). I ended up buying an IWB kydex holster from Muddy River Tactical. I love the company and want to get a leather holster from them for both my guns.

4 Likes

My first holster, isn’t for the gun I carry in it. The gun is a M&P 45C. The holster is for a G19. Good part about my local gun store. He grabbed the holster off the rack, opened it and put the gun in it. Fit fine. Had great retention. So I bought it. Still carry it that way too. Try holsters that are for the guns competition models. The Security 9 was aimed at the G19. I bet some of the holsters will work.

4 Likes

Don’t remember which one was my first carry holster… I still have either the first or second one I ordered. Of course, I got one of my Christmas gifts in today… Tucker Gun Leather for a full sized 1911.

I am a bit of a holster addict. :grin:

4 Likes

Well I have a kydex one that works fine for the particular gun and I actually read somewhere that the Security 9 is a little bit thinner than the G19. :thinking:🤷

3 Likes

My very first holster was a Hunter 1100 series, for hiking. I still have it.
My second first holster was a Bianchi 5B I got at the Police academy and used for the next 18 years. I still have the 5B but my Sam Browne belt seems to have shrunk!
My third and fourth first holsters were a Bianchi 3S for a Detective Special and a Bianchi Black Widow for a 1911, these are from when I obtained my first CCW. The Bianchi 3S left when I traded the Detective Special for a Centennial, and the Black Widow became so soft from age I retired it.
My fifth first holster is another Bianchi, this a 152 Pocket holster.
It’s perfect for what I need.
I’m seriously thinking of adding Milt Sparks for the 1911

4 Likes

I have a lot of the Aliengear shapeshift holsters and I like them all, but the paddle holster. My favorite holster from them is the belt slide holster. I buy a shapeshift for every gun I own.

4 Likes

The paddle attachment makes it stick out too far from belt. Slide holster is comfortable.

3 Likes

I think I’m going to order an aliengear today! :thinking:

1 Like

Don’t carry too much anymore with it, but still love it. Josh Kolebeson.

3 Likes

@Fred_G

Did you get a chance to draw from your holster this past weekend?

2 Likes

@Randall318 No, was not sure what was required, the guy with the shotgun kept shooting when the RSO was talking to me. No big deal, I do a lot of dry practice from the holster. Maybe next time!

3 Likes