What do you have to legally do to buy a gun?

My experience here in KY is that store policy and clerk competence has more to do with how long it takes. I’ve been in and out in as little as ten minutes. Once it took more than 45 minutes because the first-day-on-the-counter clerk screwed up the 4473. They had to call in the manager to straighten it out.

2 Likes

Usually takes about 15-20mins at a TX FFL.
Fill out form
Check state ID
Run NICS
Pay $20 with CCL, or $25 regular
Go to the range

1 Like

@citizendo With my valid Texas LTC it goes down in about 10 minutes.

Fill out form
Pay $25 FFL fee
Go to the range (Included in the 10 minutes)

No need for checking state ID or a NICS check with a LTC.

That’s awesome! In WI we have to do the background check every time.

2 Likes

sounds like you can’t afford to not move.

Fill out form
Hand them that and CCDW
Pay for new gun
Go to range

Same as @MikeBKY. I’m also in Guntucky.

1 Like

@Dawn I have mentioned before that my brother lives in Wisconsin as well. He is also a member of the USCCA. We were talking on the phone and I told him I wanted to run to Cabelas and check out a gun and I would call him back. When I called him back 40 minutes later and told him I was back at home with my new Glock he was amazed. I told him of that 40 minutes, 25 minutes of it was driving. True story.

1 Like

They have Glocks in STOCK??? Dang!

3 Likes

The story was Pre-pandemic. I bought it for my birthday in February and avoided the mad rush. Pretty fortunate timing.

2 Likes

Oklahoma,

1. Go To Gun Store
  2. Choose Firearm(s)
  3. Fill out 4473
  4. Show Salesperson ID
  5. NICS check
  6. Pay for Firearm
  7. Go home or go to the range (assuming weapon properly lubricated)

The shop I have gone to will charge $25 for a background check and transfer if you have purchased out of state or online. If you are a good customer or they are in a good mood no charge for the background check.

1 Like

BTW, they have some glocks (the backpacker, the ones that fold) and had a Sig 365 last
Saturday…

1 Like

Go to store of choice, pick out firearm to adopt,give them ltc, fill out form, take home new family member. 10 to 15 minutes… @Dawn, Academy here has pretty much any pistol they normally carry in stock, and if you get there fast enough, you can even get some pews. They get new trucks every other day!

4 Likes

Academy Sports is pretty good. Like thier two for 1 specials! Worth mentioning they have an online 4473. Shop from home, fill out 4473, pay, pick up gun at store at your liesure (you must present ID!)

2 Likes

Personally I prefer to go to the store… I torture myself second guessing my purchase because all the guns look so sad and lonely.

2 Likes