Welcome to the Community! Please Introduce Yourself

Hi Everyone. My husband (Alan) and I (EC) are new members here and are happy to be a part of this. Things in SoCal are not what they used to be and we decided to buy a gun. We selected the Springfield xd9101 and have now had a few lessons. I am glad to see that we are both gaining in skill and accuracy. We will try and go at least once a month to the range at least until we have built up some muscle memory when handling the gun. I also have my dad’s .38 Special, which although heavier, it is easy to shoot. I never thought of self or home defense, but now I think it is our responsibility to be able to do this for family. Thankful there is a community like this to learn from.

9 Likes

@Elizabeth17. Elizabeth and Alan’ welcome to the community, we are glad to have you here. There is so much to learn here and you are in the right place. :+1: Stay safe, Bruce and Nancy.

6 Likes

Welcome to the family, @Elizabeth17 and Alan! It’s a great place to be!

6 Likes

You might also try the Glock 42. .380

5 Likes

Welcome @JD13

6 Likes

Been going to range every couple weeks

Slowly getting better as a new gun owner.

Funny:

Last week decided I would try a more relaxed arm position as felt more comfortable.

Worked good at first, but then my G26 started not ejecting cartridges.

Thought there was a malfunction, asked desk for help

The range expert asked if I had a firm, straight arm foundation. Uhhhh no.

Lesson learned, problem solved😊

10 Likes

Elizabeth17 hi. I too am new to USCCA. I also have a couple of Springfield’s, xdm 10mm and for everyday carry the hellcat osp. I say everyday carry but not there yet. Either way I seem to be doing well with not at the practice range. Wishing you well in socal.

8 Likes

I have an Xdm. and so does my son. love them.

7 Likes

Welcome to the community,train hard and stay safe. from Michigan :grinning:

7 Likes

@Elizabeth17. Welcome to the community,train hard and stay safe. from Michigan :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes
  • Who are you

Hello, I’m new. My name is Erik. From WI

• What got you interested in carrying and self-defense?

Never been one to allow others to be solely responsible for my safety.

• How long have you been training for your self-defense?

30+ years

• What formal training have you had?

Lots. Firearms and Martial Arts

• What’s the best advice you’ve ever gotten regarding your self-defense?

The best way to win a physical encounter is to avoid getting into it in the first place

• What’s your favorite gun?

Depends on the circumstance

• How often do you train?

Firearms, monthly or more. Martial arts several times per week.

• How have you gotten your friends and family involved?

They’re already involved

• What do you hope to learn from others in the USCCA Community?

Comeraderie and such.

10 Likes

Welcome Ross4!!!

7 Likes

Welcome! @Erik17 glad to have you join the family!

6 Likes

Welcome to the family brother and you are in the right place at the right time, be blessed.

5 Likes

Johnnyq60 thank you.

Think I made the right decision also.
I’m expecting my welcome kit soon.

JD Hernandez

personal contact information removed for your privacy. ~ Dawn

8 Likes

Welcome @Erik17 and @JD13

7 Likes

NickC, thank you. Glad to be part f the community

7 Likes

Welcome Erik17 and JD13!!

7 Likes

James382, thank you! Looking forward to a great education

7 Likes

Hello Everyone!
My Name is Josh, I’m 27 years young from Illinois and I’ve had my CCL for the last 6 years. I have wanted to be a Police Officer ever since I was 5 or 6 years old. I was in 3rd grade when the United States was attacked on 9/11. I remember in vivid detail watching Police officers who weren’t trained to enter burning buildings say F if and run in anyways. My choice was solidified that day.

Growing up in the age of school shootings I knew I would need to be prepared to defend myself in the event I was caught in the mix of a mass shooter. I have attended 2 schools that have had threats of shootings narrowly thwarted. I was in the movie theater of a mall the day my CCL finally landed in my mail box when the report of a mass shooting occurred ( that ended up being a domestic violence event) The school I work at also Narrowly avoided 2 Shootings and has had several bomb threats.

I started training to defend myself when I joined Karate at 6 years old. More recently I’ve been training and taking classes to prepare for the worst day of my life for the last 6 years. Starting with the 16hr state mandated CCL course. Since then
I have attended State Certified Police Training through my area Mobile Training Unit and Continue to attend AND seek out continuing education not only in Firearms but OC, Baton, ECW, and control tactics.

The best advise I’ve been given in regards to self defense is 3 fold.
First, dont intervine in other peoples problems unless its your job, then it’s time to get to work.
Protect yourself first, then others if its nessicary.
Always have a plan to evacuate without further confrontation if possible.
If you need to move towards Gunfire, do so with backup enroute first. ( Call first then respond)

House Keeping:
My Favorite carry gun is my Glock 19MOS with RMR and X300U. My Sig P365 is a close second when I need absolute zero visibility carry.

I TRAIN Constantly. Formal training once a month, Dry Fire Every night, and I read Case law weekly.

I hope to learn a bit from everyone here and your experiences and maybe ( Hopefully) ill be able to impart some of my knowledge on some of you.

15 Likes