Weapons

I would like to propose that going out of our way to pretend that firearms are not weapons is not helping with the changing times or with what is accepted.

That, IMO, just feeds the “nobody needs a ____ for hunting” as a justification for bans, for example.’

It’s not about hunting and it’s not about sporting competitions (the 2A and the Rights and Liberties, that is…if a person wants what they do to be about hunting or sporting purposes then by all means, have at it)

1 Like

Well start your own thread and go for it!
You made your point and I feel I made mine.
Thanks for the conversation today.

3 Likes

This thread is already about that exact topic.

You are disappointed with people using the word weapon instead of firearm, but, there are other viewpoints to that. It’s just a discussion

2 Likes

aka, ignorance. That is not denigrating the person, unless they are unwilling to learn, it does not mean anything, but a lack of knowledge. I willingly admit I am ignorant of many things, and I have admitted, even on this site when I lack knowledge. No one can know everything; granted there are those that have far more knowledge than others, but it is impossible to know everything. We all know those that believe they do.

1 Like

I prefer they be used for farming, not harming. Other than the issue with the lead, I believe a firearm makes a good holepunch. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Not according to the ATF that defines a pistol as a firearm designed to be fired with one hand.

2 Likes

Who might that be? Jerzy assumed you meant him/her (insert proper pronoun here).

1 Like

Yes!

What it’s designed to be, not what you do with it, is generally how names/descriptions come about.

Like, if you had a legit actual military issue M4, and you never did anything with it but hang it on the wall in your FFL’s retail location as a showpiece, it would still be appropriate and correct (IMO, anyway) to call it an assault rifle even though all you did was wallhang it.

Or when I took my Z28 to the strip, it was still a passenger vehicle street car and not a race car even though I was racing it on a track.

3 Likes

Yeah, If my attacker used a firearm, I’d be more inclined to refer to it as gun or weapon.

May I never ever have to use in SD, but if I ever did, I’d probably hope my lawyer uses the term “firearm”.

Guess it depends on the situation. In mass shootings, I tend to think of it as a weapon/gun.

I’d want to be truthful, and respectful; The chosen term is subjective and describes what the instrument was used for.

1 Like

Self-defense firearms are weapons. Firearms used in crimes are weapons. Firearms solely used for target practice are not weapons, though like any other object could become a weapon, even if one does not fire a projectile from it. Even pocketbooks can become weapons. We try to avoid “trigger” words so as to placate the sheep to believe we are harmless, just like them. I am non-violent, but I will protect my wife and daughter by any means necessary within my ability. Do not infringe on my ability and I will not infringe on yours.

2 Likes

Let me get this straight,
If I have a Ruger LCR .38Spc and it’s in a safe it’s a gun
If I take it out of the safe it’s a firearm
If I shot targets with circles on them it’s a firearm
If I shoot target that are human silhouettes it’s a weapon
If I put it on my belt and hide it it’s a firearm or is it a gun
If I pull my shirt up and pull it out and point it at a person it’s a weapon
If it get’s left in my Jeep it’s a gun

OK I think I understand now…

1 Like

Barry,I didn’t mean to stir the pot,but to me the word weapon was drilled into my mind and every so called Fire arm is a weapon to me and a weapon is what kept me alive and I did survive so to me a weapon is a weapon,wont call them any thing else,they kept me alive where i was at

5 Likes

No worries. The second sentence of the first post addresses those of us who served and wore uniforms.

1 Like

The person Mike has seen in post 62 probably isn’t going to use the pink single shot from post two and create new firearms enthusiasts. OTOH the people who use the NRA training programs and work with the scouts with sporting arms, might be more likely to create new firearms enthusiasts.
More food for thought.
Optics
Connotations

3 Likes

Closing in on gender options discussion. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Or… maybe I should trade in for a pink colored one with a white pearl handle; Nic-name it ‘Bambi’. IDK. No wonder attorneys get paid the big bucks; I’d let them do the talking and I’d ‘sit in my hands’ . LOL. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Personally, I would refer to the definition of the terms in my state’s weapon laws. Yes, GA issues WCLs, Weapons Carry Licenses. If a handgun (firearm) is not a weapon then I suppose it wouldn’t have been allowed to be carried under the law. Well, prior to the Constitutional carry bill was signed. Most definitions of the word weapon will include in its list firearms, used for offense or defense. Personally, I find it to be a question of semantics and almost anything can be a weapon, including firearms. Denying firearms original, primary purpose, does not change the fact that they are weapons. Just my longwinded $0.02. :blush:

5 Likes

Or, as I was taught in boot camp, I am the weapon, the firearm is my tool. We are getting way to caught up in nit picking IMHO.

3 Likes

LOL, legal definitions aside, you’re absolutely correct, on both counts.

2 Likes

You’re wasting your time if you’re worried about this.

2 Likes