Walmart to end sales of handgun ammo and not allow O/C in stores

I just buy ammo online. It’s cheaper and there aren’t screaming kids. Also, Wally Worlds gun selection, and outdoor gear selection is/was subpar at best.

I personally think that it is a last ditch effort to appease a group of people before Amazon drives the final nail in their coffin. Their sales have been slipping for a while.

ammograb.com

Sometimes Cabelas and Fleet Farm (Wisconsin’s Tractor Supply, but bigger)

4 Likes

Most of the time I buy ammo and firearms from local shops. If I buy ammo elsewhere, it’s usually Academy. Walmart caved in to the pressure.

2 Likes

Sounds like, whether it was intended or not, Wall- Mart just created another gun free zone!

2 Likes

I agree with many of the comments posted here, and as a business Walmart has a right to conduct itself as it chooses in the free market.

The spin I take on this (looking for the silver lining) I haven’t purchased ammo from Walmart in a looooong time and I actually hope this helps out the local mom/pop gun shops which need more than our occasional gun purchase, but need our regular sustained business through ammo and other expendable items.

I’ve always purchased my carry ammo from my local gun stores along with my rifle ammo. Bulk handgun ammo and/or 5.56x45 I’ve been purchasing online for the last year or so (or at the local store when they have a good deal on bulk).

So hopefully this is a good “unintended consequence.”

2 Likes

Already contacted both the phone number and via the email link. Gave them an accounting of what I USED to spend there on a yearly basis and that I will now be going somewhere else. I live in metro area, so choices are abundant. I’ve been open carrying in my local branch for years. No issues ever.

Oh, in case anyone cares, ~$200.00 weekly for food, ammo, and other misc. crap, so, ~$10,000/year. Multiply that by others that feel the same and DO SOMETING ABOUT IT. Will it be worth anything to them?

5 Likes

So no more Target or Walmart… I hope Meijer is 2A friendly or I’ll be doing all of my shopping online.

5 Likes

But in fairness to Walmart…they didn’t say they were requesting no-one carry…just not carry openly.

And then the ammo piece I’m still not clear on, it said they were not selling handgun ammo but only referenced 5.56x45/.223…I didn’t see anything about other handgun calibers (.9mm, 45ACP, etc).

Not saying I agree with the moves (it’s a slippery slope), but I don’t know they’ve gone full Dick’s.

Personally I don’t think they’ve ever been pro-2A…they’ve been pro-profit and as long as this doesn’t impact overall sales, I think they’ll sleep just fine at night.

I did see a blurb this morning that you won’t be able to get Hornady from Walmart anymore…since Hornady will no longer be direct selling to Walmart based on their decision. I love that company…(Hornady to be clear).

4 Likes

From this article

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/03/business/walmart-ends-handgun-ammo-sales/index.html,

stop selling handgun ammunition and “short-barrel rifle ammunition,” such as the .223 caliber and 5.56 caliber, that can also be used on assault-style weapons after selling all of its current inventory.

4 Likes

News sources in Nashville has reported that Kroger is asking customers not to open carry in stores.

1 Like

Once it starts and we give in to it WHEN does it end? Can any of the rest of you feel the slope already getting slippery?

5 Likes

While Wal-Mart may not be a prefered source for buying ammo they are (or were) a common one. If WM goes through with this I suspect that we will see legislation to prevent “mail order” ammo sales.

2 Likes

The only problem I have with that idea is, how many will actually quit shopping there? I keep hearing “convenience” and “low prices” as the reason people keep going there. My take? It’s not very convenient if I have to spend 15-45 minutes in a checkout lane. It’s not low prices if I have to replace items bought there every year or two. I personally have those two reasons, from long ago, as to why I no longer shop there, who’s to say 2A is really going to motivate the sheep? Rant over lol

1 Like

It’s good for diapers and toilet paper. :wink:

But I can buy those online and have them delivered to my house - even easier and more convenient. :smiley:

5 Likes

My wife and I spend $12,000 approx. per year at Fred Meyer (Kroger) I’ve shopped there almost exclusively since 1988. I’ve been considering shopping elsewhere since they’re going all in on facial recognition and monitoring their customers. Thanks John150.

3 Likes

Some people just can’t afford to go elsewhere. My grocery bill is almost always quite a bit higher when I shop at Publix. My thought is more than taking a stand, it’s being able to support your family. The question is what are you willing to sacrifice in your budget to offset the increased cost of groceries?

2 Likes

We have Sav-A-Lot here. I can’t find any official policy about guns from them. I’ve never seen any no gun signs in their stores, so. I have to get some items at Kroger’s, just no way around it. I can almost completely avoid Walmart, again for all but 1 or 2 items.

4 Likes

It’s the same with voting - you have to do what is best for your family.

4 Likes
10 Likes

Sounds logical to me. Yes, I know what Babylon Bee is. I prefer their version of “news” to lamestream media.

1 Like

@RocketPak This is all getting just too crazy, Liberalism really has gone to a mental health disease. They’re going to stop selling groceries because it will cause a person to go to the bathroom or water because…we’ll just because

2 Likes