Veterans preference

I know we have a cross section of vets from all branches of the service. I wanted to know how your state treats you when you apply for a concealed carry license or if this does not apply to your particular state. Is the application processed in an expedited manner or are certain fees waved . Thanks to my brothers and sisters serving now and our veterans. I am also of the opinion that only vets with a honorable discharge (excepting those discharged with a medical condition) should be eligible for these rights.

11 Likes

In CO, I was treated with respect, towards my training, and the interview itself was very professional. I honestly thought it would be harder.

8 Likes

In my area of Southern California, no one seems to care whether I’m a vet or not. This also applies to concealed carry license…no special treatment.

On the other side of the coin though, police, highway patrol, and sheriff’s all treat concealed carry permit holders with much more respect because here in california it takes a person to jump through tons of hoops and pay a ton to get a permit. So, they tend to treat us as one of their own.

9 Likes

I understand what you’re getting at here, but why would our (Veterans) God given rights be any greater or more valuable than non-Veterans?

In other words, I never expect or want special treatment.

10 Likes

No special treatment in VA. @Patrick47 I still like my Lowe’s 10% off discount.

17 Likes

None here in MO although I did not broadcast I was a veteran in the class or the application process. And yes I love the 10% discount at Lowe’s and Home Depot as well!!! LOL

10 Likes

Upstanding US citizen and veteran, do not expect nor do I require any special attention or any affirmative action on my behalf.
The only thing I found was the classes were not required if you presented your DD214! I took the class regardless, it gave me more insight and access to my states statutes.

13 Likes

Understood.

7 Likes

In Florida, my DD-214 was accepted in place of a training class, and my application was fast-tracked. Got my permit 2 1/2 weeks after applying (this was pre-COVID).

11 Likes

If someone could care less about being a veteran that is your choice. I have strong opinions about the matter after being on active duty for 12 years and working at the VA for 15 years. It was an honor. The state of Florida expedites applications for a CWL, While I don’t expect it , it is nice to hear someone occasionally appreciates my service to my country. I am different from a non veteran but no better. I left my green card at the gate when I l was discharged and now I’m just a civilian.

10 Likes

WI took my DD214 in lieu of training, I received my permit in 10 working days. :+1:

6 Likes

There is no special treatment or anything given to Veterans here in Utah. The process is the same for everyone. Now some instructors give discounts to Vets for the conceal carry class.

-For example, most CCW classes are $50-$60 a person. I know a hand full of instructors that give $5 off for couples and $10 off for Veterans/first responders.
Some do discounts for teachers and others do a free class(those with their own classroom) or super cheap(only charge for cost of class rental and not time) during teacher appreciation week.

7 Likes

I went from Military service directly into Law Enforcement so I did not see the difference in being a vet because all of the respect I got from being a LEO.

9 Likes

Nebraska-- no advantage. If you are diagnosed with PTSD a veteran can be denied ccw and gun ownership… if you are diagnosed with PTSD you can become a police officer.

6 Likes

Tampa , Fl here. Former Marine, expedited application process. Filled it out at the tax collectors office on Friday, 19 June, had my permit in my hand on Tuesday, 7 July. DD-214 is accepted in lieu of approved training class.

5 Likes

There is no special treatment for vets in my county in Mn, it is all up to the county sheriff and you still pay the fee and takes 30 days to get your permit even when you go for your renewal.

6 Likes

“If someone could care less about being a veteran that is your choice.”

I searched this thread and I couldn’t find anyone stating this. Did it get deleted…

4 Likes

Here in Maine you can carry concealed without a permit ( Constitutional Carry) I did get a permit and my DD-214 sufficed as training. I am concerned that the VA Records have been weaponized–if you are diagnosed with PTSD, you may be denied a permit because you are deemed “mentally defective”. As a retired Clinical Social Worker (LCSW), I am concerned about veterans with PTSD not seeking help because of the worry of having their Second Amendment Rights stripped from them. I am a former combat medic–Vietnam 69-70 and can attest to the fact that a combat tour does change you. PTSD should not be listed as a mental illness in DSM 5-R. It is a normal reaction to an abnormal situation. That’s another topic .

7 Likes

I live in Ohio. Vets can get there CCW without going through training and no cost. I was treated very well by the sheriffs deputies when I applied and went back to pick it up.

6 Likes

Wv offers vets cc fees waived no requirement class I’ve taken the class I think all should if you learn 1 thing from class its a bounse

7 Likes