USCCA Instructor Pistol Qual's

Just joined this community. I have spent tons of time reading along before joining as a member here. Great group of people!

I have been carrying my USCCA card for several years, and a CCW from my state for 15+. I am considering becoming a USCCA Instructor mostly because I love to learn and to help others to improve. Of course we are all different but as you can see from my screen name I happen to be a Glock fanboy (Gen 5 19 FS for my EDC). Some will love that and others will of course differ, LOL! [Since this is my first post here let me just add a quick mini-bio: my home defense weapon rotates between my Mossberg 590A1 and my M4, both with lights and glass].

Before going too much further I wanted to determine the needed pistol shooting Qual’s for the process. In fact if I could get some of the paper qual targets I could go to the range and make sure I am where I need to be in the process.

Would someone here be kind enough to send me a link or some way to know how to proceed?

Candidly, while its important to know how to shoot my pistol well at 45 feet my heart is in “tactical” marksmanship. Close quarters is where 90% of my likelihood to need a weapon is going to happen. I was very happy to see USCCA join “forces” with John L of WarriorPoet Society. I have been following and practicing many of his range examples.

Let me encourage you all to keep posting. I love to read here and to always strive to get better and more educated. With God’s will I hope to never actually use a weapon against another human being!!

10 Likes

Welcome @GlockGuy !!

We are so honored to have you here!!
I’ll tell you now…this place is legit for expanding your education!
You have experts at the tip of your fingers (Not me lol I’m a fellow learner) However, we are like a big ole family who loves the 2A and you can’t be “wrong” here! It’s all for educational purposes! Never be afraid to stick your respective 2cents anywhere! Again, glad to have you!

3 Likes

Hey @GlockGuy… Glock Girl here :laughing:
Welcome to the group!

The USCCA teacher certification is an AWESOME program, glad you’re looking at doing it! As to the actual qual I don’t know if that is officially published to the public or not, maybe @dawn can confirm. At any rate, if you can put your rounds in a 6" group at 45’ you should be fine.

5 Likes

Is this what should be fine if target shooting?

3 Likes

Qualification is done at several distances, but I think the longest is 45’ and everything else is closer.

4 Likes

how fast?
from a draw?
standing facing away and you have to do shimmy shimmy coco-pop 1st or?
(okies, sorry, that first one wasn’t fair… disregarding that…)

Hey @GlockGuy welcome to the land of the posters. Nice to see a long term lurker decide the water’s fine and come join the pool party!

2 Likes

@Chris4, waiting for @dawn to chime in on if we can post the details… it’s not listed on class description sites so I am not sure if its ok to publish it… I haven’t asked :slight_smile: but @Dawn can let us know if it is.

2 Likes

Definitely following because I’ll be going through the instructor training as well in Feb. I’m loving the community so far and totally love the USCCA facility. I hope everyone has a great and safe holiday!!!

4 Likes

Hey everyone! As far as the qualification goes I would practice stance, sight picture, and maintaining a good trigger press at various but reasonable shooting distances.

6 Likes

Thank you for the info! Very much appreciated!

3 Likes

And tighten up your gun handling. Safety is A Thing.

4 Likes

I don’t think we publish the actual qualifications. 6" group at 45’ should be just fine. :slight_smile: And what @James said. :smile:

3 Likes

@Zee depending on what type of qualification the target size and group varies.

I personally practice on 4 inch group at 25 yards (75 feet) 1 shot per 1.5- 2 seconds with full size Beretta 92FS.

I believe it’s safer to gain the distance advantage over the bad guys (Usually Sloppy) and hostage situations.

Especially in public places like malls or restaurants.
However 6" group at 45’ it’s just awesome.:+1:

3 Likes

Thank you all for adding to this thread.

3 Likes

I do know what I went through for qualification but let me say this, I print my targets off the internet on 8.5 X 11 paper ( 1 target per paper, not grouped together for one target) and use them for practice out to 25 yards on my own range. That way I can place my groups close to the center. If you can do that then you will not have any problem with qualification.

3 Likes

I took the course in Fall and it’s multiple distances and not draw from holster. (NRA CCW is the course if you want holster work).
It’s not a hard shoot. It should be a no brainer with no practice needed for anyone who instructs.
IMHO, USCCA needs a course with holster work, or if they have it, my apologies for my ignorance.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

3 Likes

We do have one, @Aaron25! Check out the Defensive Shooting Fundamentals class - you’ll LOVE it! Presentation from a holster, rapid fire, balance of speed and precision and so much more in this awesome class!

You can search for a Defensive Shooting Fundamentals Class here:
https://training.usconcealedcarry.com/?tID=5dd6e5787ee3f&utm_source=training_uscca&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=students_dotcom+find+a+class&utm_content=class+purchase&utm_purpose=direct+sales

3 Likes

Thank you, Dawn. Another question–do you have any team training available for security teams at church? Or can you point me in the right direction?
Thank you in advance!
Aaron

2 Likes

and one more thing–how can I add my USCCA instructor badge?

2 Likes

Not necessarily for the team, but we do have some suggestions. Here are some threads that might help, @Aaron25

I’ll get your badge for you :slight_smile:

3 Likes